PDA

View Full Version : Game Meat and Scraps

Red_Medicine
07-29-2010, 04:56 PM
I come from a family of avid hunters, unfortunately they all live back East. I was wondering if anyone has freezer burnt meat that they would like to get rid of? I would also take side cuts and scraps that you would normally throw away, especially things like neck bones and meat, trechea, tripe, heart and organ meat.

If anyone has any of these items that they want to get rid of in the Lower Mainland or Fraser Valley let me know and I will be happy to pick it up.

Thanks! :-D
Sarah

pg83
07-29-2010, 05:19 PM
you better not be selling it to the local all-you-can-eat chinese resaurant!!! :D

If you state your reasons for wanting this stuff people may be more inclined to respond.

Red_Medicine
07-29-2010, 05:23 PM
LOL, no not selling to an all-you-can-eat buffet. I feed my dogs raw food and they LOVE game meat. Just hard to find and since I don't hunt I don't have access to it.

pg83
07-29-2010, 05:31 PM
That's what I figured ;) I don't have any scraps at the moment, but the next few months should change that.

Big Lew
07-29-2010, 05:35 PM
Be careful...pretty sure that it is illegal for anyone to sell game meat in Canada without inspection.

Steeleco
07-29-2010, 06:51 PM
It is illegal:

Traffic or Trafficking - means to buy, sell,
trade or distribute for gain or consideration or
to offer to do so.

If you were to ask your question based on donation that's good, selling/buying not so!

bridger
07-29-2010, 07:17 PM
if you feed moose scraps to your dog boil as a precaution for hydata cyst that is found ocassionally in moose and is fatal to dogs. also u cannot buy or sell or barter game meat in bc

Chuck
07-29-2010, 07:27 PM
Traffic? I wonder how many people actually think it means vehicles?

Why would they use that term (even in all its correctness) when something more easily understood would suffice? Especially those who are not proficient in the English language. Big terms used by "experts" just don't impress me. Bully tactics imo. Lol.

pg83
07-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I seem to have missed the purchasing part. I have no desire to sell any game meat or parts. I would be more than happy to give away scraps though if and when I have any.

mataxa
07-29-2010, 09:42 PM
That was always one of my golden retrievers favorites - scraps frozen into a big ball. Pull out of the freezer, and give it to him and her in the shade during a hot day and man you never saw such happy twinkly "puppy" eyes.:-D

Red_Medicine
07-29-2010, 10:02 PM
I seem to have missed the purchasing part. I have no desire to sell any game meat or parts. I would be more than happy to give away scraps though if and when I have any.

I had mentioned that I would be interested in purchasing but I didn't realize it was illegal so I just took it out. Let me know when you have scraps, I would really appreciate it!

bridger: Thanks for the tip on the moose! Not sure if the deer have toxic wasting here but where my family is from they do... do you know if that can cause problems for dogs?

Steeleco
07-29-2010, 10:15 PM
There's no CWD in BC as yet. They actually have rules about the importation of animal parts from other provinces to avoid it.

If your strapped for meat, you might try Surrey meats in Cloverdale. They sell made for pets raw food diet. It doesn't have all the additives kibble has.
They have chicken, lamb, beef and other recipes. My Rottie loves the stuff.

hunter1947
07-30-2010, 03:52 AM
I have a few pounds of freezer burn meat I would give you but I live in Cranbrook..

mijinkal
07-30-2010, 01:14 PM
As Steelco said, just head over to surrey meats, I actually just got back from there 1/2 hour ago. They have great prices and a great selection.
http://surreymeatpackersltd.com/petfood.html

You can also try Ennis Farms in Langley, they're a bit cheaper, but have a limited selection.

Free game meat is always a great way to go. I just got my pup so I didn't save any scraps for him from the fall. Hunting season't just around the corner !

Red_Medicine
07-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I do go to SMP but am just looking for more variety in their diet so I thought it couldn't hurt to check here. I'm sure there are lots of things the people throw out that my dogs would be in heaven if they got their mouths on it!

Also thanks for the Ennis Farms recommendation... I've never heard of them so I will check them out! Good luck with your pup.

Thanks for the offer of meat in Cranbrook! We are heading to the Interior next month but not to your area unfortunately. :(

Gateholio
07-31-2010, 11:08 AM
if you feed moose scraps to your dog boil as a precaution for hydata cyst that is found ocassionally in moose and is fatal to dogs. also u cannot buy or sell or barter game meat in bc

Is there any way to test for that? I often give my dogs scraps and bones form game.

dougal
07-31-2010, 11:18 AM
the guys at sumas meets give me extra ribs when I bring in my game.
last year they had 4 big bags full for me my dog loves them.