PDA

View Full Version : Canine Cognitive Dysfunction (Dog Alzheimer)

newhunterette
07-29-2010, 10:21 AM
The last few months we have noticed our sweet girl, Sissy (blue heeler) has been showing signs of forgetfulness, confusion, lathargy, lack of energy, no spark, staring off into space. Now I know she is 16 years old which is a good long age for a dog but we also notices she can't hear us.

I did some research and discovered dog's can get alzheimer so after filling out the check list and finding she has many of the classic symptoms it was off to the vet for confirmation. Sure enough we have her diagnosed correctly.

We are puting her on medication recommended specifically for this disorder as well as Hills animal food for the brain (made to help decrease the symptoms or stop them). She is not in any pain what so ever, she just forgets she is a dog and she gets mixed up where the doors are and such. She has also been confirmed to be completely deaf and has cataracts developing but her sight is still good because she saw a squirrel and took off after him up the tree. Funny she forgot she cant climb trees and gave it a good try.

I am just curious if anyone has ever gone through this with any of your dogs and if there was certain things recommended to you to make the quality of life they had left a great one. Sissy is healthy as can be considering, to look at her she does not look like a 16 year old dog, she just has become more docile in her demeanor and a little less active.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20july%20canim%20lake/DSC03663.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20july%20canim%20lake/DSC03668.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x185/ioarana/2010%20july%20canim%20lake/DSC03689.jpg

Kody94
07-29-2010, 10:43 AM
I am convinced my old buddy had a touch of "Dogzheimers" in his last year. Not much you can do, but be patient.

newhunterette
07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Researchers believe Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS) is caused by physical and chemical changes that affect the brain function in older dogs. Dogs with CDS may show signs of confusion and/or various other behavioral changes that are not a normal part of aging.
This confusion can lead to a life of lonely isolation, separated from family members who have come to cherish their older dog's companionship. This can be as hard on family members as it is on the dog. Pet owners often describe their dogs as less responsive, forgetful or confused.

Please if your dog shows any signs of these symptoms, have them checked out, they still have lots to give to you, they just cant remember how to do it.

Check list for older dogs:
Does your dog:

(Disorientation/Confusion)
Appear lost or confused in the house or yard?
Fail to recognize familiar people?
Fail to respond to verbal cues or name?
Have difficulty finding the door or stand on the hinge side of the door?
Appear to forget the reason for going outdoors?

(Interaction with family members)
Seek attention less often?
Walk away when being petted?
Show less enthusiasm upon greeting you?
No longer greet family members?

(Sleep and activity changes)
Sleep more during the day?
Sleep less during the night?
Wander or pace more?

(Loss of house-training)
Urinate indoors?
Have accidents indoors soon after being outside?
Forget to ask you to go outside?

Jimsue
07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Could my brother have this as he exhibits many of the symptoms? usually after drinking too much.

Throw in some omega 3, it ain't going to hurt any dog at any stage of life.

newhunterette
07-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Could my brother have this as he exhibits many of the symptoms? usually after drinking too much.

Throw in some omega 3, it ain't going to hurt any dog at any stage of life.

heheheheheh OMgosh too funny - not sure if it is the same thing but I am certain the symptoms may be very close lol

we give her glucosemine and the food she is on has omega 3 in it - it is so heartbreaking to see her getting frustrated with herself cause she can't find the door to go outside and then pee's - we are using my little chihuahua now as Sissy's guide pooch - Remington goes into the garage to wake her up and then he runs to the door for her to follow - quite cute how he has taken over when not so long ago she was his teacher.

She spends her days outside with our lab Hunter, whom Sissy raised as her own baby when we added Hunter to the zoo, now Hunter makes sure Sissy stays safe outside. I wish humans behaved this way, it seems animals pick up on the needs of others and just know what has to be done.

srupp
07-29-2010, 12:28 PM
hmmm Susan also thinks I have a raging case of this..although in my own defense the last name IS Rupp..NOT pup..:mrgreen:...

oops,soiled myself again...

steven:wink:

newhunterette
07-29-2010, 01:19 PM
hmmm Susan also thinks I have a raging case of this..although in my own defense the last name IS Rupp..NOT pup..:mrgreen:...

oops,soiled myself again...

steven:wink:

Steven - ya gotta stop giving me such terrifying visuals - don't make me ask M:twisted:ary to come spank you

srupp
07-29-2010, 02:10 PM
hmm hmm hmm I have been bad..very very bad....lol...

Steven

newhunterette
09-08-2010, 12:26 PM
well it seems in the light of so many dog owners on HBC having difficult times with sick dogs, losing dogs, buying new dogs, my family is joining the ranks.

Our beloved Sissy was diagnosed with this Canine Cognitive Dysfunction and we have been giving her the medication reccommended for this horrible debilitating disorder as well as changed her diet to a more cognitive stimulation food (both which are very costly but to us worth the expense if it helps her), unfortunately after a month we have seen no real change in her so our vet asked us to stop giving her the meds and see if she regresses or stays the same.

She was not showing any signs of improvement, without the medication and she was not regressing without the medication until the past couple days we have seen a big change in her. This morning I went to let her out of the garage, she had a hard time getting up and when she did she lost control of her bladder immediately. She then tried to walk towards the doorway and she fell over not able to stay balanced. She also loses her way to go outside, we have to lead her or Remmy guides her. I got her into the dog run with Hunter and she leaned against the fence. Usually she goes straight for the water pool but today she couldnt remember where it was. I led her to the water and she just stared at the pool (our dogs have a kiddie pool for their water) not knowing what to do so I had to lift water in my hand to her mouth to show her to drink. Walking back to the gate of the dog run, she was leaning against Hunter so she didn't fall over.

I called our vet and she is going in to see him today at 2:30. We have it in our mindset that we may lose her today. It is not going to be a good day in our house if this happens. She has graced us with so much. We will do whatever it takes to make her comfortable but if we are told she is suffering or in pain in any way shape or form, we will succumb to the decison of sending her to "All Dogs go to Heaven" resort.

We are hoping for good news but it's not looking too grand at the moment.

newhunterette
09-08-2010, 03:17 PM
update from our vet visit today:

Dr Burton has decided to put Sissy back onto her meds at a higher dosage to see if any changes happen in the next 3 weeks and if so then we should have her for a little while longer but if the new dosage doesn't make changes for her then we have exhasuted all thoughts in helping her through this tough time of her life - he says she is not in physical pain however the emotional pain of her confusion is what she is having difficulty with - she has swelling of her brain but it isnt causing any physical pain just makes her unco-ordinated - he says all she needs is our love and us to continue giving her the quality care we have for 14 of her 16 years - her heart is very strong - that being said our reality is we know her time left with us is very numbered so we will make it the best time we possibly can whether it is 1 day or another 5 years or more.

slicky72
09-08-2010, 03:38 PM
What terribly sad predicament to be in Ali, I wish the best for your old girl. Lost my heeler last fall to pneumonia , like your vet said just give her the love and care she deserves .

Rick

Cdn-Redneck
09-08-2010, 05:01 PM
It is tough when they get old. We had a beagle that was 13 and went thu the same thing although for a shorter period. He was deaf and his teeth started to fall out and he would go out for a pee and then come inside and pee where ever he was standing. We finally had to make the hard decision for him. My current dog is a 10 year old golden retriever, still in good health but starting to show some signs of her age.

Pete
09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
[

Check list for older dogs:
Does your dog:

(Disorientation/Confusion)
Appear lost or confused in the house or yard?
Fail to recognize familiar people?
Fail to respond to verbal cues or name?
Have difficulty finding the door or stand on the hinge side of the door?
Appear to forget the reason for going outdoors?

(Interaction with family members)
Seek attention less often?
Walk away when being petted?
Show less enthusiasm upon greeting you?
No longer greet family members?

(Sleep and activity changes)
Sleep more during the day?
Sleep less during the night?
Wander or pace more?

(Loss of house-training)
Urinate indoors?
Have accidents indoors soon after being outside?
Forget to ask you to go outside?[/quote]

Thank you for this list. My old Boarder Collie, Mugsie, is just now into her 16th year. As all my dogs are working dogs the progression is from working to help train the new dog to finally becoming the house dog in the later years of their lives. Your list provides some insight as to why she does what she does. I truly believe it is a matter of the quality of life. When the old gal reachs that point then I will have to deal with it. As I write this both dogs are sleeping at my feet and that is the way I like it.

newhunterette
09-10-2010, 01:31 PM
So today I go to let my Sissy girl out of the garage to her and Hunter's dog run and see her really struggling to stay balanced. She tips over onto her side and has difficulty getting back up so she just lays on her side attempting to eat her treat. I know she has only been on her new meds for 2 days but it is hurting me so much in my heart to see this struggle she has to go through. I don't know if I can handle doing this with her for another month and then find it is not doing her any good. I want her to show signs of it helping her but watching your dog struggle with her mind when her body is perfect is very very difficult. I can't imagine what people go through when their loved ones deal with alzheimer and dimentia.

I let a couple hours go by and went outside to check on her and she is standing against the fence for balance, with her cooky smile and watching Hunter play with her kong. I know she is wishing she could play with Hunter, her body says yes, her brain says no. I walk over to the gate and she sees me and comes over, she falls over and it's like she says, well I am down here how about my belly scratch. Gotta love her.

newhunterette
09-11-2010, 10:16 AM
This morning Sissy seemed to be a little better in the energy level, she is still walking lobsided with her balance but she didn't fall over, she actually jumped up for her treat, which scared me cause I was afraid she would fall over but she held herself upright. Unfortunately she isn't doing well with holding her bladder, few more puddles to clean up in the garage and seeing her face (humiliation) with ears down makes my heart heavy for her.

I think later on I will try letting her out of the dog run for a little chase with Remington and see how she fairs, she enjoys playing with him when her energy is up.

newhunterette
09-13-2010, 12:36 PM
We are seeing a slight change in Sissy since going on her new meds, she is a little more aware of her surroundings and has a little more pep in her step unfortunately her balance is still quite off. I am hoping that the brain medicine will start shrinking the pressure for her and she will regain her balance. She really wants to play and chase Remmy but with bad balance she just falls over and lays there frustrated. I feel so dang helpless when I see her struggling to get up but you can see the need to do this on her own in her determination. I am hoping that we see a significant change in her over the next 3 weeks before she goes back to the vets for a check up.