PDA

View Full Version : How would you call it??

CanuckShooter
07-29-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/New_Camper_005.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19487&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=505)

This fine bull was an obvious 3pt on the off side... you have a clear view of this side...IS this a legal spike fork...if hunting in the field how would you call it????

lip_ripper00
07-29-2010, 09:07 AM
I would say not a shooter as a spike fork, lower tine looks to broken off.

yzchamp
07-29-2010, 09:16 AM
legal..tine closest to the tip of the ear dosnt look like it meets specification of the point.. if bull broken that off while rubbing velvet off ,then too bad for him...:(

Swamp Rat
07-29-2010, 09:22 AM
if making the call in the field - i would have let it walk.

07-29-2010, 09:25 AM
That looks like a legal bull, because it does not meet the requirements of a point as laid out in the regs. That said, unless the critter was standing on top of me I would not shoot, because it is close.

Legal ......... yes.

ct

CanuckShooter
07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/New_Camper_001.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19872&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Just to add to the moose question...the antlers are all natural [not broken off by shooter] and this bull had a broken leg as evidenced in this picture. He was having a real hard time getting a drink when first spotted...took the shooter over an hour to make a decision...does this change how you'd decide???

Steeleco
07-29-2010, 09:31 AM
Unless I could put a ruler on the near side, doubt would make me let him go.
AGAIN!!!!!!!!!

Steeleco
07-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Just to add to the moose question...the antlers are all natural [not broken off by shooter] and this bull had a broken leg as evidenced in this picture. He was having a real hard time getting a drink when first spotted...took the shooter over an hour to make a decision...does this change how you'd decide???

I've seen a few animals that looked like they needed euthanizing. As much as I wanted to, the thought of getting tagged a poacher, made me let them be.
The one doe in East Harrison was still bleeding from a large wound. Obviously lame and not long of this world. I figured the cat was going to have to come back and finish what it started.

So NO I'd still not shoot him.

07-29-2010, 09:47 AM
i would have let it walk. The tine has to be taller than it is wide to be a "tine" which thoes look to be countable tines.

I have let a moose walk because of this. I couldnt be certain. I feel good about it, rather then guessing or worse.

Caveman
07-29-2010, 09:52 AM
Let him walk until you at least can confirm the other side. The 3 point side is too close to squeeze the trigger. If you put a tape on the tine I think you'll find it meets the definition

...............................as for the broken leg, let Mother Nature take care of it. He can still eat, just needs Handicap parking!!:wink:

boonerbuck
07-29-2010, 11:23 AM
I've been in the same situation and let them walk. I even had someone shoot one I passed on just for me to see them and the bull at the gas station 3 hours later. It was legal...

That being said, passing is never the wrong choice in this situation.

Gus
07-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Thats too close to call. In my mind you would have to tape that last tine to determine if is legal or not. Looks like a legal tine to me.

07-29-2010, 11:56 AM
I've seen a few animals that looked like they needed euthanizing. As much as I wanted to, the thought of getting tagged a poacher, made me let them be.

I feel the same way. It's hard but better let nature take its coarse. I had a hard time letting this wild stallion go.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/broken_leg.jpg

07-29-2010, 12:01 PM
uhhhh what?

bridger
07-29-2010, 12:11 PM
tough call both on the antler point and the ethics of putting the moose out of its misery. truthfully i think i would have shot it and taken my chances on explaining it to the co. nature is cruel I know but i really dislike seeing animals suffer needlessly. a call to the co explaining the broken leg may have made the decision easier. a few years ago right at the end of moose season in 7b I saw a good bull moose with a badly broken front leg and some other injuries that looked the result of a collision with a truck. the bull was skin and bones and barely able to walk. i phoned the co told him the situation and he said to put it out of its misery. when we went back we couldn't find the bull. couple of days later the ravens were on him. who knows what is right and wrong in those situations

.300WSMImpact!
07-29-2010, 12:11 PM
looks legal to me not an inch, but I dont know if I would shoot

boonerbuck
07-29-2010, 12:27 PM
tough call both on the antler point and the ethics of putting the moose out of its misery. truthfully i think i would have shot it and taken my chances on explaining it to the co. nature is cruel I know but i really dislike seeing animals suffer needlessly. a call to the co explaining the broken leg may have made the decision easier. a few years ago right at the end of moose season in 7b I saw a good bull moose with a badly broken front leg and some other injuries that looked the result of a collision with a truck. the bull was skin and bones and barely able to walk. i phoned the co told him the situation and he said to put it out of its misery. when we went back we couldn't find the bull. couple of days later the ravens were on him. who knows what is right and wrong in those situations

Mother nature doesnt see right and wrong like we do.

If you play in the wild, you should except what nature does. CO's will not see it your way unfortunately but who can blame them. Man has a tendency to stretch every loop hole and whats to stop people from harvesting illegal injured game that hunters are responsible for. We know where that leads.

If you bonked a injured deer on the hwy and dragged it off....that's a totally different scenario. They have the right to fine you still but they understand those are different circumstances. Safety issues...I've seen hwy workers and cops make a mess out of this. Hunters walk up and cleanly dispatch and drag off. The CO's know this.

1 shot 1 kill
07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
For me this is clearely a 3 point and not an immature 2point, even with the broken tines you can see it is a 3 point, why would you take your chances and harvest the animal trying to convince others it is an immy? to get caught red handed with an obvious 3 point and have to pay the consequences?? so not worth it to me...as far as the broken leg, well moral decision..as long as he is able to move and feed i would give him the chance to heel and live, if nature finished him off, thats nature...happens every day out there...just my 2 cents..

barry1974w
07-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't shoot, then kick myself for the rest of the season. Leaving something that wasn't injured by you to suffer and die is an unfortunate reality if you don't want to break the law.

stanway
07-29-2010, 02:05 PM
What does the other side look like? If this was the only view presented and the other side was left for guess work, the I would let it walk. If you're not sure, don't shoot.

As for the broken leg, I would again let it walk (if not a legal bull) - yes nature can be cruel, but I would not put myself in a 'questionable' situation.

Albafly
07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
No shooting for me- way too much headache potential here. I can't say that it is definitely a three point, but I also can't say that it is not. Indecision= no shot.

CanuckShooter
07-29-2010, 02:41 PM
The bull was clearly a 3 pt on the down side, iffy on the up side, with an obvious broken leg.....just looking for what YOU would do if you saw this bull while hunting would you shoot him OR.....???????

Jelvis
07-29-2010, 02:42 PM
I'd call it dead

moosinaround
07-29-2010, 02:56 PM
At 50 yrds it would be dinner, but at 200 yrds maybe left to die a slow painful death. That is a very marginal call. It would have taken me a while to make the decision if it let me take the time!! If not 100% sure let it walk.......................or in this case limp! The wolves gotta eat too! That is their job!! Moosin

mark
07-29-2010, 03:10 PM
Well I believe that the broken point at the back doesnt quite qualify as a legal point, but its so close Id have to pass.
On day 12 of a 14 day elk hunt I called a 5x6 into 10 feet of me, had him within 20 yards or less for over 10 minutes.....the 6th point was so marginal I let him go.
My buddy shot the same elk a few hours later, it really came down to the man running the tape measure to say if it was legal or not. Every hunter said.... "man thats close, dunno if id of shot that one" but no-one called it an illegal bull.
My point is, there is a fine line and this moose is on it!

This moose was also a close call, but after a 5 second inspection on 14x @ 200 yards I dropped the hammer on him!
I admit, it was a long, heart pounding, hike to get to him, but I told myself, I know what I saw!
HIS left antler matched HIS right except the eyeguard was broken clean off at the base.
The palmated area at the back with the little bumps (in my left hand in the pic) didnt amount to 2 points.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/medium/IMG_2243_Medium_.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/showphoto.php?photo=6543&size=big&cat=recent&limit=recent)

Moose Guide
07-29-2010, 03:31 PM
Let him walk!! A client I guided shot a bull moose that had broken the ball off his hip years before, the bull had healed up and could move well without a hip joint. A friend of mine shot a cow moose that could not stand up and reported it immediately, he was charged with shooting an animal out of season(no fine, just on his record) The bull in question is too close to the line! It was obviously shot so what did it measure?(I think it is a 3pt.)

CanuckShooter
07-29-2010, 04:02 PM
Let him walk!! A client I guided shot a bull moose that had broken the ball off his hip years before, the bull had healed up and could move well without a hip joint. A friend of mine shot a cow moose that could not stand up and reported it immediately, he was charged with shooting an animal out of season(no fine, just on his record) The bull in question is too close to the line! It was obviously shot so what did it measure?(I think it is a 3pt.)

It taped out legal.....spike fork.

mark
07-29-2010, 05:26 PM
[/b]

I figured as much, imagine if the rule were the other way... a 3 point minimum.... wouldnt quite cut it IMO!

Fisher-Dude
07-29-2010, 05:27 PM
That being said, passing is never the wrong choice in this situation.

Words of wisdom, and words we should live by.

I've let a few walk that were this close, including one that I watched with 10x Leica binos from 60 yards for nearly an hour. I'm pretty sure that the '3rd' little sticker on his goofy brow was 7/8ths of an inch and shorter than it was wide, but there was no way in hell I was 100% sure without holding him down and taping it, so he walked.

Jelvis
07-29-2010, 05:56 PM
It's real nice to see hunters like you fellas that count real proper before you shoot, it shows respect for the regulations and shows you got a clear conscience.
jel .. it makes people feel proud of you ..

yamadirt 426
07-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Thats the reason i carry a tranq with me.Put him to sleep. Put the tape on him. If hes good shoot him. He won't go far or even know hes hit. Very humane and endorsed by antis. Also an easy way to put a tracking collar on that monster WT and get him opening day. Track him with my iphone too.

demlake
07-29-2010, 06:27 PM
Very informative thread, thanks.

I usually give myself a healthy margin of error where possible, so I'd definitely pass.

MichelD
07-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't want to see any moose like that.

As Albafly said, "too much headache potential."

Moose Guide
07-29-2010, 06:52 PM
[/b]

Too close to the line for me, I'm glad it was legal as it was obviously taken for meat!

Moose Guide
07-29-2010, 06:56 PM
I shot an elk that was that close to the line and even though he was legal I will pass next time!

3006pg
07-29-2010, 07:21 PM
too close for comfort for me

ve7iuq
07-29-2010, 10:28 PM
Legal moose, shoot him.
That whole class of immature bulls is not easy to tell, so if he is legal, shoot him.
Regarding the broken leg, I once killed a moose because of injury. However, a member of the BC Game department, yes, that is what they were once called, took me to the injured moose. No, I didn't want the meat.

hunter1947
07-30-2010, 03:45 AM
This bull would live to see next year ,this happens with elk hunting as well.

I let a few bulls go because of the same thing ,if it is boarder line set of antlers or horns why take the chance ,I would not want to walk up to this boarder line animal and find out that it was illegal :icon_frow.

jessbennett
07-30-2010, 02:19 PM
For me this is clearely a 3 point and not an immature 2point, even with the broken tines you can see it is a 3 point, why would you take your chances and harvest the animal trying to convince others it is an immy? to get caught red handed with an obvious 3 point and have to pay the consequences?? so not worth it to me...as far as the broken leg, well moral decision..as long as he is able to move and feed i would give him the chance to heel and live, if nature finished him off, thats nature...happens every day out there...just my 2 cents..

where in the regulations does it state"immature" in a legal bulls description? the description is spike fork. it could have 5 points on one side, but as long as it has 2 points or less on the other, it is perfectly legal.:wink:

Darksith
08-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I would have let it walk, the deciding factor would have been the limp. You don't know what kind of blood poisoning the animal had.

Of course it taped out legal, you wouldn't say otherwise. I would like to see the tips of that fork, if it looks like it has been busted fairly recently then you would be in a lot of trouble with a CO b/c they would say you busted it off. Its not worth it.

300H&H
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Without seeing the other side I would not shoot.
Better safe than sorry.
But lets say he was at 200 yards and you only had a 3x9 scope.
He might look legal !
I would still wait and try to get closer.

Ruger4
08-01-2010, 12:59 PM
why not pass and be 100 % certain.
Go find another one :mrgreen:

jessbennett
08-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I would have let it walk, the deciding factor would have been the limp. You don't know what kind of blood poisoning the animal had.

Of course it taped out legal, you wouldn't say otherwise. I would like to see the tips of that fork, if it looks like it has been busted fairly recently then you would be in a lot of trouble with a CO b/c they would say you busted it off. Its not worth it.

moose do fight you know. and they do rub. a c/o would have to prove that you busted it off......... they could say whatever they wanted, but like i said, pretty hard to prove. pretty bold statement you have there in saying that you would automatically be in alot of trouble.....

mr7mm
08-02-2010, 11:13 AM
i have learned from my late grandfather if any doubt at all dont shoot i have lived by that and never have run in any trouble

OutWest
08-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Not worth risking it at all.

Jelvis
08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Try for a valid LEH and if you don't get it, hunt something else if your that unsure of your observation skills and can't count past two ..
Jel .. it's that simple or buy some seeing glasses it's a sport not a life threatening event lol

curt
08-03-2010, 08:33 AM
Laying on the ground with tape measure in hand that would be the only way to be 100% sure. i'm thinking to avoid any issue's with the CO's I'm letting that guy walk away that is just too close to call in the bush unless you have a saddle on that guy.

ThinAir
08-03-2010, 09:16 AM
Too close to call in the field. Let him walk. I don't need an immy that bad to take the risk

thatskindafunny
08-03-2010, 07:29 PM
No shoot situation.

1 shot 1 kill
08-05-2010, 04:22 PM
where in the regulations does it state"immature" in a legal bulls description? the description is spike fork. it could have 5 points on one side, but as long as it has 2 points or less on the other, it is perfectly legal.:wink:

thats my point exactly..we have been told this animal had 3 points on the other side, the side we see also has 3 points..broken off yes but still has 3 points...if not broken it would clearely be an illegal harvest! and yes i agree it can have 5 points on 1 side as long as it has no more than 2 on the other..this has 3..and 3 in my opinion..:-D

Joel
08-06-2010, 08:24 PM
For me, not a shooter. Simply because moose are too heavy to pack out if it's not trophy size, and i still have lots of meat.

JeremyCarrano302
08-06-2010, 09:22 PM
I'd say it was legal cuz the point closest to the ear is not a true point its rounded or squared off depends on how many moose I've seen that trip too take it or not

jessbennett
08-06-2010, 10:50 PM
thats my point exactly..we have been told this animal had 3 points on the other side, the side we see also has 3 points..broken off yes but still has 3 points...if not broken it would clearely be an illegal harvest! and yes i agree it can have 5 points on 1 side as long as it has no more than 2 on the other..this has 3..and 3 in my opinion..:-D

yes, but....... if an animal was a 3 pt and broke one off, technically it is a 2 pt. the regulations dont state that broken off tines dont count. gray area? absolutely.
technically this bull has 3 and HAD 3. a little to close for comfort for me, but legal.

so would you shoot a 4 pt muley that had a tine broken off in 4 pt only season just because it USED to be a 4 point?:wink:

Jelvis
08-06-2010, 10:55 PM
A tine is measured from the center of the main beam Scottie so the one is shirley too short, so there.
Jel tine must be over inch long so it's redundant for the two top ones ... Captain Kirkness

Moose Guide
08-07-2010, 03:50 PM
A tine is measured from the center of the main beam Scottie so the one is shirley too short, so there.
Jel tine must be over inch long so it's redundant for the two top ones ... Captain Kirkness

if you read the regs and still think a tine is measured from the center of the mainbeam your on something a lot more powerful than kootenay green!:mrgreen: