PDA

View Full Version : not much longer

3006pg
07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
well felllas its that time of year again another 4 weeks and a bit or even shorter till we start hittin the bush after those alarm clocks start going off at rediculous times in the morning. is anyone as pumped as i am for the season to start?!!!!

BCrams
07-27-2010, 06:15 PM
Those ridiculous hours start this week ;)

sako_300
07-27-2010, 06:16 PM
what he said.

.300WSMImpact!
07-27-2010, 06:31 PM
i have been out for two weeks, man I must be a fool

PointMan
07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
My wife already wants me dead and my guns to become anchors, if that tells you anything. And I haven't even bought my new ones yet! LOL Gonna be a long lonely season!

Steeleco
07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Practice hike and pre season scout trip planned for Thursday. Hope the altitude helps with the heat??

358win
07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
So ready. Heck I just comented on which way the toilet paper should come off the roll.

dougal
07-27-2010, 08:24 PM
I have been counting since last years end its kinda sad but hey what else do I have to do in the off season
35 days 7 hours and 40 min until 1st alarm
72 days 7 hours and 39 min until 2nd alarm
these are just the rough planed trips

and the tickets should come from under the roll not over its too distracting and has a better look as well the two year old has more trouble getting the paper off that way "directed onto the floor not into the toilet"

shadow1982
07-27-2010, 09:02 PM
This year is my first year of hunting big game... i am really exicted, i really want to get a deer (doe or buck)... i have watched enough videos on how to gut them... still feeling really nervous...

i am thinking about deboning the animal there, I have a question.. how long do you think i should hang the meat before debone.

ELK Seeker
07-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Knifes are sharp, horses are legged up, rifles shootin straight, wifes excited about getting the whole bed to herself for a few more hours every day. :-D
Feel like a kid waiting for christmas.

NorthShoreX
07-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Hope the altitude helps with the heat??

It will at night for sure. During the day maybe a few degrees cooler, if you're lucky. Also depends on where you are.

sawmill
07-28-2010, 01:08 AM
This year is my first year of hunting big game... i am really exicted, i really want to get a deer (doe or buck)... i have watched enough videos on how to gut them... still feeling really nervous...

i am thinking about deboning the animal there, I have a question.. how long do you think i should hang the meat before debone.
Just long enough to cool it out,depends on the weather.I had one freeze solid last fall after 2 days in my garage.Had to hang it in the basement to thaw.

shadow1982
07-28-2010, 07:25 AM
Thanks sawmill,
what will happen if i debone the animal without letting it cool down too much? I always thought you hang meat for the blood to drain out completely, true or just a myth?

CanuckShooter
07-28-2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks sawmill,
what will happen if i debone the animal without letting it cool down too much? I always thought you hang meat for the blood to drain out completely, true or just a myth?

I don't think they can hang goats before they debone them can they??? :wink:

sawmill
07-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Thanks sawmill,
If you shoot it in the heart/lung area it will bleed out inside before you even open it up,That`s why you needn`t bother cutting the throat.On a head shot it`s OK to stick him.Sticking involves finding where the base of the neck enters the chest and putting your knife through there towards the heart/lung area.Feel on your own neck where your collar bones come together at the base of your throat.In and down towards the chest and a back and forth with the knife.You will know when you get it,big gush of blood.Turn it head down ,ass up and let gravity do the work. .Hanging just gives the meat a chance to firm up a bit,makes it easier to cut up.Hope this helps and good luck.Ask anytime you have a question,lot of good smart guys here ready to help.:-D

brock77
07-28-2010, 01:09 PM
the alarm already goes off at a rediculas hour for work.....but this is good, new job gives me 4 on 4 off,= four days to hunt.....oh helllssss ya. hoefully not so hot his year in sept, but it seems like we are getting a late summer = HOT damn HOT. im counting down, the wife just rolls her eyes hahahaha.
New gun,binos,rangefinder,boots,camper, and hunting pants =one damn good season "HURRY UP" sept 1st lol

shadow1982
07-28-2010, 01:18 PM
If you shoot it in the heart/lung area it will bleed out inside before you even open it up,That`s why you needn`t bother cutting the throat.On a head shot it`s OK to stick him.Sticking involves finding where the base of the neck enters the chest and putting your knife through there towards the heart/lung area.Feel on your own neck where your collar bones come together at the base of your throat.In and down towards the chest and a back and forth with the knife.You will know when you get it,big gush of blood.Turn it head down ,ass up and let gravity do the work. .Hanging just gives the meat a chance to firm up a bit,makes it easier to cut up.Hope this helps and good luck.Ask anytime you have a question,lot of good smart guys here ready to help.:-D

Thanks Sawmill... it explains a lot..

slowkey
07-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Went on a scouting trip yesterday! smoking hot out there. 38c in Spences Bridge just crazy.

Shadow get your beastie you shot hanging right away and then get that hide off asap! if you shot it in the evening then first thing in the morning. You want to cool the beastie down as soon as possible.
Like has been said if you heart/lung shoot it you wont have to bleed it will all come out when you gut it (roll up your sleaves and remember a rag to wipe up with:-D)

Bobby Jr
07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
*BOOM!*

whooops...hehe
sorry

Itchy trigger finger!

Can't wait.

sawmill
07-28-2010, 03:06 PM
If it`s hot outside, split the pelvic bone(the hips) and stick a couple 3 or 4 one gallon milk jugs of ice inside the deer,saved me a few times.Just stack them on each other from the chest cavity to the ass and drape a cotton sheet loosly around the carcass,Should get you through the night at least.

hunter1947
07-29-2010, 04:55 AM
My season has already started ,I have been out shooting the animals with my trail cams and movie camera :-D.

mark
07-29-2010, 02:36 PM

To answer your question accurately....you dont have to wait at all to debone, you can start to remove meat as soon as the critter stops moving! get some good cheese cloth, or pillow cases work well, place the meat in smaller bundles 20-30 lbs, then head for a meat cooler.
It just needs to breath, actually we've put it directly into garbage bags and had no issues, great meat!

It will at night for sure. During the day maybe a few degrees cooler, if you're lucky. Also depends on where you are.

Not quite true..... temperature drops 2 degrees per 1000' of elevation!
You can pretty well bet on it, day or night, regardless of where you are!
(Given there is no inversion, or strange weather issues going on)

hunter1947
07-30-2010, 04:02 AM
I never use the alarm clock ,I sleep very light and don't need to use one http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

I am really excited about trying to call in a bull elk for my hunting partner ,I get more satisfaction seeing someone else arrow a bull elk them myself ,just ask Mike he will tell you here is a picture of a bull he got last year..

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/372.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16728&ppuser=941)