PDA

View Full Version : New Meindl's fell apart bad...

brenden
07-27-2010, 04:42 PM
I bought a pair of Canada Pro's in April and they are finished. First let me say I have had three other pairs of Meindl boots in the past and they all lasted exceptionally long. After four months of moderate use the gussets were the boots hinge have cracked to the point where there are now gaping holes in the leather. I can't explain this as they were treated with Meindl's own Sportwax several times in four months so the leather was clearly not overly dry. They also have random holes in the leather in the main body of the boot (very small ones). Has anybody else had this problem? I'm super dissapointed and will be pursuing this with the distributor if I can find a contact. Expected alot more for 400+ bucks. I guess some of the quality controll rumors are true.

Gunner
07-27-2010, 04:45 PM
It seems that the new ones do not hold up like the older ones did.Mine are 4 years old and are holding up very well. Gunner

BlacktailStalker
07-27-2010, 04:57 PM
I guess some of the quality controll rumors are true.

Definitely not rumours.

Thats unfortunate, however many of us went through this and posted it to try and help guys save their $.
Let us know how the warranty process goes if you attempt it.

I would never buy a product that got slammed as hard as the Canada pros... especially on an idiot proof product like boots where feedback is pretty much fail safe and reliable.
There are no extraneous circumstances where the user can possibly mess them up, where all points revealed of the failed product were directly related to the quality of the product.

Devilbear
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I have a pair of Meindl "Geologist" boots I bought in October, 1976 and they were worn every day for about five years, work, bush, daily shoes and you name it. I have had four re-soles and a couple of seams re-stitched and seldom wear them now or for years, but, they wore like iron and still work as well as my multi-buck custom Van Gorkums.

I wore out four other pairs of Meindls, some Raichles, some La Sportivas and various other boots during this period, but, these and my almost as old Kastingers will not die.

The Meindls my buddy has now are not even remotely of the same quality as these, my 29 yr. old Kastingers, just found "as new" Galibiers from the '70s and that is typical of today's boots,,,just crap.

I would talk to the distributor, but.......I wouldn't "hold my breath".

BCrams
07-27-2010, 05:54 PM
Do a search on here. The Canada Pro's are trouble for experienced people. Once someone who knows what they're doing and knows what to expect of boots, are going to call them out on these boots. Most users are psycologically going on reputation .... "best boot therefore must be the best" when in truth they're not.

I am not surprised in the least by what you're describing with the Canada Pro's and your experience with them.

Devilbear
07-27-2010, 06:04 PM
The problem is that MOST people buy on exactly that, the "cool" factor which comes from popularity....Arc'ter'yx is THE best example and "North Face" is another.

Right now, the "best" mountain boots for hunters I know of are Hanwags, some Scarpas and the Lowa Sheep Hunters from Schnees. I would pick Hanwags before anything except Scarpa Lisskams, and would buy Liskamms if I could find them.

I still prefer a slightly heavier and more solid boot than many so, as I find the support better for coming downhill and this is much harder on my injured legs than climbing uphill. YMMV, of course.

BCrams
07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE]The problem is that MOST people buy on exactly that, the "cool" factor which comes from popularity....Arc'ter'yx is THE best example and "North Face" is another.

My Arc Teryx rain jacket at least has payed off in spades so far!! But do know what you're saying with regards to some items as thats what most guys tend to do when buying.

Right now, the "best" mountain boots for hunters I know of are Hanwags, some Scarpas and the Lowa Sheep Hunters from Schnees. I would pick Hanwags before anything except Scarpa Lisskams, and would buy Liskamms if I could find them.

Owned several Hanwag boots. Yukons, Alaska Top GTX and Trapper Tops. Best boot imo for the use I want in the mountains.

Right now I am on my 2nd pair of Lowas.

Owned a pair of Scarpas but they were too stiff for my liking for the mixed terrain so I sold them. Great when I was climbing steep stuff but they sucked anytime I had anything less than 45 degrees slope for any duration or distance. I'd buy a pair again if I planned to hunt places like Alaska's Chugach mountains year after year.

brad ferris
07-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Don't blame the boots buddy it's that extra 30 pounds you're carrying around the midsection.kidding. I' m not entirely thrilled. With the ones I bought out of cabellas a few years back . Like many products now days they just don't build them like they used to.btw I'm 25 miles south of your ol ' home town, I'll give you a shout if I get back to the koots in the fall.

Deaddog
07-27-2010, 07:34 PM
talk to the distributor, I get two seasons out of my canada pro's and having been buying them for the past six years , have tried other makes as well....got two seasons... all depends on how you use them and what your expectations are

jml11
07-27-2010, 07:54 PM
On year 6 with my meindl's (no idea what model but not Canada Pros') and I've only been moderately diligent at taking care of them but I imagine that I will retire them after this hunt as I am sure they will get abused.

brenden
07-27-2010, 09:00 PM
I definately don't buy anything for the "cool factor". I bought these Meindl's because the last three pairs were awesome. I like Liskamm's too but I have junked a pair of them as well. The current Liskamm's are holding up well with liberal Freesole application. They are a much better mountain boot. FWIW my boots get used very hard. I'm 6'4" 215lbs and I work for a forestry consulting company. I would say I average between 5-10 off trail km's mon-fri regardless of the weather and usually a big weekend hike. I don't wear much "Cool" stuff, if it works i'll wear it. I know several fallers who have caulked Canada Pro's that are holding up really well...which leads me to believe that they have begun using a much cheaper grade of leather. The toughest boots I have found are Scarpa plastic mountaineering boots but they are a bit clumsy and hot for most applications. The Liskaam's are my current favorite but that rand requires some gluing periodically. Too bad about the Meindl's. If lightning strikes and I score a new pair from them, I will likely get rid of them anyway.

Brenden

Deaddog
07-27-2010, 09:29 PM
if you check out the meindl site they have gone back to the "old" leather they had on the canada pro's .... whatever that is worth, DD

mark
07-27-2010, 09:38 PM
I definately don't buy anything for the "cool factor". I bought these Meindl's because the last three pairs were awesome. I like Liskamm's too but I have junked a pair of them as well. The current Liskamm's are holding up well with liberal Freesole application. They are a much better mountain boot. FWIW my boots get used very hard. I'm 6'4" 215lbs and I work for a forestry consulting company. I would say I average between 5-10 off trail km's mon-fri regardless of the weather and usually a big weekend hike. I don't wear much "Cool" stuff, if it works i'll wear it. I know several fallers who have caulked Canada Pro's that are holding up really well...which leads me to believe that they have begun using a much cheaper grade of leather. The toughest boots I have found are Scarpa plastic mountaineering boots but they are a bit clumsy and hot for most applications. The Liskaam's are my current favorite but that rand requires some gluing periodically. Too bad about the Meindl's. If lightning strikes and I score a new pair from them, I will likely get rid of them anyway.
Brenden

Dude, Didnt you ever see all the threads with lots of credible members having major issues with them????
Serves you right for buying them, if you do get another pair on warranty, Id try to sell them while brand new, then buy a good pair of boots!

if you check out the meindl site they have gone back to the "old" leather they had on the canada pro's .... whatever that is worth, DD

Well if its worth them getting their reputation back, they should offer a factory recall on all the shitty ones they pumped out!

They will never see my money again!

Rattler
07-27-2010, 09:40 PM
Going into year 10 with my Meindel Canada Pros. They have been an awesome boot for me. I treat my boots regularly and only use them for Alpine hunting - ie don't wear them while getting firewood...

Most likely will be buying Hanwags next.

sparkymacker
07-28-2010, 09:11 AM
They probably out sourced the production to China. Really upsets me when you buy something expensive only to find out it is now made in China.

hntcrazy
07-28-2010, 09:22 AM
This again....my first pair i guided in the yukon with for 6 seasons .Second pair 4 years . bought another pair to have spare and wammo crap ,...goes to show they dont make stuff the way they used too......

Spokerider
07-28-2010, 09:58 AM

Brenden

Sounds like your boots see some miles.
Have you tried Kenetrex?
I have a pair that fit well, seem sturdy, but have not logged many miles in them yet, so I can`t comment on the durability factor.
My Meindl`s have held up so far, but I only use them for hunting as they are caulked.

whitebirdfeathers
07-28-2010, 10:09 AM
They probably out sourced the production to China. Really upsets me when you buy something expensive only to find out it is now made in China.

They have recently changed production to Slovenia (I think) :-?. Anyways, they have not been producing the same quality of boots since they stopped making them in Germany. My wife had a pair of Borneos that she put many thousand kilometers of trail on over 10 years with no problems. Her new pair is nowhere near the same boot. My new pair is Zamberlan. So far they seem great.

Toad Hunter
07-28-2010, 10:19 AM
I bought a pair a few years ago and within a week the rand was ripped and falling apart. They got sent to Vancouver - NOTHING HAPPENED!

Now I just continue to wear them and they are still falling apart.

I will definately not be buying another pair!

plumbcrazy
07-28-2010, 09:35 PM
There crap now. I went threw my latest pair in under 2 seasons. I was so happy with the first pair some 20 years ago,,,,,and now I have gone back to gum boots. Thank gad my feet are still tuff!!!

luckynuts
07-29-2010, 08:42 AM
It's ashame that they went down hill. I tried a pair on from a friend years ago, I really liked how they felt and that they provided great support .After reading all the negative comments about them I reaserched and called around and finally found a pair that were made in Germany and purchased them from Cabela's. I've had mine for 4 years now and still happy. Though I would recommend a lighter boot for early season hunters.

W