PDA

View Full Version : Princeton Duck Hunting?

DMAN009
07-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi,

I am new to hunting and am very interested in duck hunting. I recently bought a 12 ga Remington 887 Nitro Mag. I love it. I have already put 200 rounds through it in the past month. We were practicing skeet. I was hitting at least 4/5 in each turn by the end of the day. Went again last weekend with similar luck.

I have read up lots about Pitt Marsh and will be sure to give it a shot this fall. I will be heading out there to scout spots by the end of summer.

I looked through out all the posts but couldn't find anything about duck hunting in the princeton area. Gfs family bought a cabin in the area and I am interested to see if there is any good duck hunting close by. Or if it is even worth it. Maybe the elevation is to high??? Not a Migratory flight path?? Who knows?

If anyone out there has some suggestions that would be great.

D

Young, Dumb, and Ready for some Fun.....that's how it goes right?

07-27-2010, 03:39 PM
I dont think there is in Princeton

sparkes3
07-27-2010, 06:24 PM
gimme a shout when the season opens here if you wanna go out for a day

shadow1982
07-27-2010, 08:25 PM
DMAN... you have to tell a joke before you can ask a question.

Crazy_Farmer
07-27-2010, 08:49 PM
DMAN... you have to tell a joke before you can ask a question.

No you dont.

And Dman009 check out all the potholes and lakes around. Small boat could be helpful or just walk around the shore. You're bound to find something. Alot of ducks and geese go inland to nest up on those lakes during the summer, from there northwards. And you may get lucky and get them before the migrate elsewhere early enough in the season.

pnbrock
07-27-2010, 08:55 PM
if i was spending any time in princeton i would be looking for deer instead.just my two cents

DMAN009
07-30-2010, 10:28 AM
There will definitely be some deer time spent up there pnbrock! I already have some friends that are going to help me with that up there. But I am a little more interested in the waterfowl hunting as it is or I believe it is cheaper compared to getting a deer butchered. I am still a student at BCIT. In my last year so by next fall I will be looking forward to harvesting a deer. And spending a little more into it.

Shadow I will come up with a joke for you.

Crazy farmer. Thanks for the support. Nice shut down. By the sounds of it you are suggesting stalking the ducks. Or should I try calling them in? As much as I love sitting by water I don't like wasting my time.

07-30-2010, 10:42 AM
D
what he is talking about is the "Spot and stalk" .....i think!
any way find a few ponds and sneak in to them with binos. When you see birds try to stalk them. There smarter than you think though. Just make sure you have a means of recovery. Boat, float tube whatever. Do not expect them do die in wader deep water. As well as try to shoot them when they get up as apposed to hitting them on the water. Their wings are like sheilds, its amazing how they can deflect pellets.

Keep your shots to below 40yds and pattern your gun.
Good luck! when it all clicks its a riot

4ptbuck
08-05-2010, 11:58 AM
are you serious?... :roll::roll:

"Their wings are like sheilds, its amazing how they can deflect pellets"

Bullet proof, or should I say Shot proof waterfowl

:lol::lol::lol:

field marshal
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM
835 get off that PC and go for a walk!!
I can see I've got my work cut out for me this fall :mrgreen:
Cheers, Field Marshal.

08-06-2010, 08:47 AM
835 get off that PC and go for a walk!!
I can see I've got my work cut out for me this fall :mrgreen:
Cheers, Field Marshal.

you just made me laugh..... Thanks!
its soooo hard though! there is too much good stuf to chat about!

Bow Walker
08-06-2010, 11:07 AM
I've hunted the potholes up there and just out of Aspen Grove. "Spot and Stalk" is definitely the way to do it up there. During the day that is.

If there is lots of water the potholes will be alive with ducks - but with this dry spell it is going to be doubtful for this upcoming season.

See if you can find a larger pond of a small lake to set up on for the night flight. A few decoys will help as well. They will come to the water - in flocks!

DMAN009
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
Awesome guys, I will definetly give it a shot for sure. I guess I am just a little nervous of not finding anything. You always watch the hunting shows and the ducks come flying pretty "regularly" but in reality how often should you expect them? I think the spot and stock would be pretty successful.

Is there pros and cons to hunting early compare to later? Like meat quality and quantity of birds?

08-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Dont be nervous man!
you have to do it. Dont expect any thing! :) In my comparitively limited experiance, You cant tell how regular they will come in. Just make sure you are set up in a pond before light. Then when it slows down go exploring other ponds and sneak down to a good hidy hole and stay till dusk.

It takes time, you need to pattern "your birds". They will have their routine. Once you have done it a while you will then have some more good questions to ask here. Eventually you will piece it togeather. The learning is funner then the knowing.

Pattern your gun, Drive the area and shoot some birds!
Im thinking if you dont have a dog get a float tube. It would be easy to pack into the spots.

DMAN009
08-09-2010, 10:33 AM
True. I know what you mean about just getting out there. I am just so "ducking" excited. I cannot wait.

I have a dingy that I am going to use. Along with a 4x4 quad. I figure that will work. Unfortunately, no dog for now.

I am heading up there this weekend so I will do some quality scouting and let you know how I make out. Maybe some pics. It will probably be he last time I make it up there before the fall.

08-09-2010, 10:42 AM
Good stuff on the boat.
You can get alot of cripples when you are learning. Fact of life when you are starting out. Try to keep your shots close and when the bird is in flight or taking off. When you do the spot and stalk unless you are right on top of them they are like little floating tanks! You will be amazed how well they deflect pellets.

I like #2 shot 3"mag or 3.5 flying at 1550 fps.
but there is many an opinion on this and every one you get will be correct.
But thats what i like

buck nash
08-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Good stuff on the boat.
You can get alot of cripples when you are learning. Fact of life when you are starting out. Try to keep your shots close and when the bird is in flight or taking off. When you do the spot and stalk unless you are right on top of them they are like little floating tanks! You will be amazed how well they deflect pellets.

I like #2 shot 3"mag or 3.5 flying at 1550 fps.
but there is many an opinion on this and every one you get will be correct.
But thats what i like

Are you allowed to shoot sitting ducks/geese here? I've gone through the regs and not seen any reference to the question, but always thought it was not allowed. Just asking.:confused:

08-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes you are.
There are people who think it unethical, but its still legal.
I am sure this is because of how hard they are to kill when sitting.

DMAN009
08-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Ya I figured I would grab a box of 1 to 4s and try them all. See what works. Obviously the closer the higher and further the lower.

As for the shooting in water. Depends On how u want to hunt I guess. If I am worried about getting my limit. Shoot em all. Personally I want to bag them in the air. More exciting. But on my first day I'll probably do whatever I can as long as it is legal.