PDA

View Full Version : sooke chinook?

ratherbefishin
07-27-2010, 02:50 PM
Where are they?-apart from a few fish,they just don't seem to be there.July is washed up,I'm hoping for the August run-they tend to run a bit smaller -in the mid 20 lb range but there's been more of them.When some of the highliners come back empty handed trip after trip-somethings wrong.

I'm wondering if this is the return[or lack of it] from a similar year 3 or 4 years ago

No idea on sockeye yet-or if there will be an opening[right now its no retention]

07-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Ukee is going gang busters. Wonder why they havent got here yet?

Bloody ukee boys killed um all!!!

ratherbefishin
07-27-2010, 04:35 PM
heard that-but where are they going?

5 spike
07-27-2010, 07:32 PM
campbell river is also having hot fishing springs, coho and pinks also halibut.

Sitkaspruce
07-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Sucks up on the North island except Winter Harbour, but the wind keeps most off the water. Been blowing a gale for almost three weeks up here.

And where is the Coho???

Cheers

SS

Johnnybear
07-27-2010, 10:46 PM
And where is the Coho???

Cheers

SS

This one has me concerned. Talked to a couple of guides out of Tofino and it's not looking good right now:(. One guide I'm phoning daily to get updates on the coho fishing.

I sure hope down south the chinook fishing picks up. There hasn't been a ton of posts about big fish lately not like last year at this time. Hopefully they are just late:-|.

ratherbefishin
07-28-2010, 07:44 AM
''hopefully they are just late''....I'd like to think so, but the runs don't vary THAT much,we should have been seeing the early run June -July big 30-40 lb snub nosed ''Columbia's'' by now[really Frazer river fish].I'm hoping August will be better, they tend to be a bit smaller,but more of them...hopefully.
But when the highliners aren't getting fish-they aren't there,and when the marina has vacant dock space and the boat trailers aren't jamming the ramp lot you know the fish just aren't in

Johnnybear
07-28-2010, 12:07 PM
''hopefully they are just late''....I'd like to think so, but the runs don't vary THAT much,we should have been seeing the early run June -July big 30-40 lb snub nosed ''Columbia's'' by now[really Frazer river fish].I'm hoping August will be better, they tend to be a bit smaller,but more of them...hopefully.
But when the highliners aren't getting fish-they aren't there,and when the marina has vacant dock space and the boat trailers aren't jamming the ramp lot you know the fish just aren't in

Good points rbf. It doesn't look promising. I was just trying to sound opimistic:wink::).

ratherbefishin
08-02-2010, 01:13 PM
on the water by 6:30 this morning ,got the tide change ,and 4 hours later packed it in-not one strike,baits not even mouthed-didn't see any nets out on the other boats either.If they are going to show-they should be there now....saw a few sockeye flopping in the surface, no opening yet

proguide66
08-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Shitty news.......wonder why? Grabbed these in a few hrs in Bamfield last weekend , going back for a couple more Wed....you would think they would be south in good numbers by now...:?

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/proguide66/159.jpg

ratherbefishin
08-02-2010, 04:33 PM
not sure where they're headed-,all I know is there not here,could be Washington/Oregon fish

RJ
08-02-2010, 04:35 PM
Nootka was pretty slow this weekend. We pulled 4 nice Chinook out and did good compared to a lot of other boats

ratherbefishin
08-02-2010, 06:31 PM
Sooke SHOULD be hot right now-and its not-the fish just AREN'T THERE

hunter1947
08-05-2010, 03:55 AM
You guys are making me jealous this is one thing I am missing right now ,nice catch Steve http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif..

greenhorn
08-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Sooke SHOULD be hot right now-and its not-the fish just AREN'T THERE

Hey Ratherbefishin;

I've heard things have picked up lately, is this true?