PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a dog; Brittany vs GSP

Wild_Dog
07-26-2010, 09:12 AM
I'm looking for a dog. I have never hunting waterfowl and not really sure of the opportunities to do so in Quesnel, although I have a definite interest. That said, I do hunt upland game birds; mostly grouse. I do realize that I can drive to most grouse and smack them over the head but I would like to take it to the next level.

So my research is leading me to Brittany's, GSP, Labs, or perhaps a setter of some sort. My wife does not like the looks of the GWP so that is out (that is her only input).

I'm leaning quite heavily towards the Brittany.

So I am super active so the exercise requirement of these dogs is not a problem. However, I am inexperienced with training dogs.

As far as hunting grouse, is a pointer preferable to a flusher? Can a pointer be trained to flush also (and vice versus).

What sort of cost to purchase should I be looking at?

What about a pup that is already started? (ie 10 to 12 months old).

Female or male?

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

07-26-2010, 10:14 AM
I have owned labs and springers. I an biased to these dogs. The springer a better upland dog and the lab a better retriever. But they bothe do it all well.

There, to my knowlage is a tonne of duck hunting in Quesnel so dont write that off by any means.

Join the gun club and ask around for dog training courses, starting with basic obedience and then a bit of hunt training. Get some books and read.
my dad has swore by buying the dog in December ish. Reason is you can have the dog a bit trained before summer camping and you will be able to hunt it that fall. Save all the bird wings you can They help as trainers.

Big thing is to check out the breeder well and make sure there are all the health checks done. There are plenty of good people on this site that love all different dogs for different reasons. You can find them in this section.
ask the where they got their dog. We all love to talk dog.

PS get a lab! Their easy to train they dont have hair you need to brush and clip and they will do it all for you. LABS ROCK!

.300wsm
07-26-2010, 05:09 PM
I have had the pleasure of hunting behind both breeds. I was in a similar situation, on the two breeds which one ? I went with the gsp I felt I made the best choice but the brit's are good dogs. Im on my seconed and third one now. I lost my female too liver cancer a year and a half ago. She was a fine tuned hunting machine. I have a male now and a rescued female. so far having owned 2 female's they have been really similiar. Being stubborn haha. The male has been a dream dog to train and hunts within range and a natural to hand signals. The femals were frustrating 3 years for my first female to settle and listen good.

Gsp's I have found need a lot of excersice or they get destructive digging,chewing haha and just rowdy but if you run them good there perfect.

My first female I used her for pointing,flushing and tracking big game. She found a many of strangers wounded game.

On the brit side. My farmer friend has owned brit's for the last 20 years
and he swears by them. His brits hold's point, but flush a little more than he hold's. Awsome for ducks and geese but there a bit smaller than gsp's but carry canada's no probs. He own's a male now and find's he like's the male's a wee bit better.

hopefully this helps you a bit. anymore I can help you with just ask I know of a couple breeders for gsp's if you intrested. If you do A lot a bird hunting the gsp is the better. but you need patience for the first 2 years.

VINDOG
07-26-2010, 07:09 PM
I have been hunting GSP's for the past five years and I find them to be awesome in the field. I HIGHLY recommend a GOOD trainer who trains hunting dogs. Whether the dog is a pointer or not training is paramount. I have a friend who owns a Brittany and she is a super dog in the field. I am more prone to GSP's because they are a hardy and versatile breed. I only hunt upland with him. I personaly think that it doesn't matter what breed the dog is but what training it recieves. There's people who think there dogs can hunt and then there's people who hunt their dogs. No matter what breed you choose, professionaly trained animals are the way to go. As for getting a started dog? Your looking at big money and you don't get the personal touch and up bringing of getting a pup at 8 weeks old, however a "Started Dog" dog has been "Shot over" and has had some obedience training and hunts. those are the pros of a "Started Dog". Hopefuly you make the choice for you and have years of enjoyment hunting with your dog. As the saying goes "NOTHING LIKE HUNTING OVER A DOG" :mrgreen:

Sasquatch
07-26-2010, 07:35 PM
What a great dilemna to have!

I am partial to pointing dogs and would go that route, but I have seen labs that are great grouse dogs. I prefer to shoot birds over a point, but there is nothing wrong at all with flushing breeds.

As far as GSP or Britt - if I was going to do any steady waterfowling, I would probably go GSP but the Britt may be better for a first time dog handler if you are going to stick mostly with upland. The Britts do take a little more grooming with the longer hair.

Proffesional training is nice and you are more likely to end up with a polished bird dog, but if the dog comes from good lines and you are willing to do the work, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to train a bird dog yourself. It's all about time and effort.

Ron B
07-26-2010, 09:13 PM
If you want a dog that is good for both upland and waterfowl get a German Wirehair Pointer.

britman101
07-28-2010, 10:25 PM
I would go with a lab if you are going to be using it for ducks and the occasional grouse shoot. The Brittany would excel on the grass lands especially if the parents were from field trial stock. To get a pointer especially a Brittany to be close ranging will take some work, and that is where a professional trainer can be an invaluable resource.

dakotawinters
07-29-2010, 04:11 PM
If you have any questions reg. brittanys pm me. :-)

charbrc
09-02-2010, 08:35 PM
My experience with spaniels is that they are brain dead for the first couple of years. Saying that I have a springer and a cocker that I hunt over.
The cocker has a superior nose and a no quit attitude.
the brittany that I have seen have all been good hunters and family pets. Remember your dog will only hunt 3 months of the year.

sakohunter
09-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey, Both are good choices. I have both and hunt with them. I would recommend both dogs as the family pet side of things, they are great with my Kids. I would put my effort into looking for a breeder that answers all your questions and gives you confidence(Do ask a lot of question as well). Also some very reputable breeder may not have a litter until the following year so be prepared to wait. Good thing come to those who wait!! Good luck with your choice it is a win win situation.

Mountaintop
09-07-2010, 03:24 PM
I have never hunted with a dog but was fortunate to have a GSP when I was younger and have known a few since. They are a great all around dog, good with family and protective. They are very smart and take to training. Mine had no hunt training but pointed and flushed birds on his own. I would certainly get one again. However, like said here, they need a lots of exercise and mental stimulation. A pooped GSP is a happy GSP. You do not want them looking for something to do .

If you are considering a rescue, check here: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/BC167.html

Moosetalker
09-07-2010, 05:24 PM
I've had Brit's for 25 Plus years , awesome dogs they live to hunt and are bird crazy,also great family pets, good with kids and don't make a lot of noise.Check out the different breeders and talk to some other Brit owners for dog quality there can be a difference.Good luck with your Brit.

Elk Lake Trapper
09-17-2010, 09:14 AM
Good advice on here. I like labs myself. If you are able, check out the sire and dam of your prospective pup. Do their personalities match what you are looking for? Be honest with yourself about your training style/ability. For instance a hard headed pup with lots of drive may wear your patience thin or conversely, a shy "thinking" pup may drive you up the wall. It takes all kinds and all can be hunters.