PDA

View Full Version : elk scouting

WoodOx
07-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Just a possibly naive question from an elk hunting newbie, but in scouting for elk in mid-august, is it a good change that they will be in or near their September-rut areas by then?

thanks for any insight in advance

bforce750
07-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Mid August is perfect time to start scouting and patterning the elk

CanuckShooter
07-26-2010, 08:42 AM
Where we hunt elk the answer to your question is yes.....:-D

hunter1947
07-26-2010, 09:36 AM
Yes if you find them then there is a 80% chance that they will be there opening day of elk season.

There are a few things that might push them out over the next 4 weeks keep in mind.

#1 If there watering souses dry up.
#2 If someone keeps pestering them ..
#3 If the vegetation drys up.
#4 If bow hunters hunt them they will leave.
#5 the heat might push them to a different location if it gets good and hot out.
#6 If a forest fire is in the area they might move further away.
#7 If they are logging in the area this will have a factor as well.
#8 predators will move them as well.

WoodOx
07-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Great guys - thanks for the tips.

This will be my first year hunting elk and I am really winging it aside from knowing there in the area.

Any general tips for locating elk in the heat (30C+ each day here) and just pre rut?

It may be a stupid idea but I was thinking of hiking into the general hunting area pre season an hour or two before dark and bugle my way through the area, hoping to get an answer to locate.

This and, of course, glassing.

J_T
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Mid August is late to 'start' scouting. You want to be in and out of there long before that. Leave them alone and they'll stick around. Move in and disturb them and they'll move on. You can observe them from a distance in mid august but stay out of the kitchen.

WoodOx
07-27-2010, 08:17 AM
How early in the season - subject to the variables that hunter1947 mentions - do elk tend to be in their rut 'areas' in the year? June? July?

hunter1947
07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
How early in the season - subject to the variables that hunter1947 mentions - do elk tend to be in their rut 'areas' in the year? June? July?

Yes if you find elk in an area they will be in the same area in July Aug Sept as long as nothing changes there patten as I mentioned in my earlier post...