PDA

View Full Version : Elk bugling ect

300wsmXboltKiller
07-25-2010, 10:04 AM
im a noob caller and would like some info on where to start id like to be able to atleast make a locater bugle and then just use my hochie mama and another cow call to imitate a herd what is a good locater bugle please i only have 1 month to practice

Bear Chaser
07-25-2010, 10:10 AM
Rent or buy as many Elk hunting vids as you can and watch them a lot. Practice at home at 3:00 am when the neighbors were sleeping. HAHA.
Perfection isn't 100% necessary as all elk sound different. You just want to avoid flubbed calls that are obviously not an elk at all. Also an elk that is up all night calling will bugle differently in the morning than he did in the evening.

Bear Chaser
07-25-2010, 10:18 AM
How's the offhand practice going? I wasn't trying to make too light of it when you asked before. You need to be able to shoot confidently from offhand positions so that you are ready when split second opportunities arise.
The next best thing to going out actually shooting is dryfiring your rifle, preferably every day leading up to your hunt. Get used to your trigger breaking and the rhythm of your breathing. I find it is also benefical to visualize shot placement on the animal in question when you do this. Picture the exact spot on the animal in a 3-4" circle and try to have the trigger break just as the crosshairs move into it. Put a picture of an elk on the wall if that helps.
Good luck.

Elkaholic
07-25-2010, 10:35 AM
elknut.com

His videos are unreal. He also sells some quality calls.

lunatic
07-25-2010, 11:01 AM
If you do not already have a bugle, the Power Bugle by Elk Inc. is an excellent bugle and very easy to learn to use. Buy a couple of good videos or tapes and practice, practice, practice.

coquitlam
07-25-2010, 11:23 AM
I am a newbie as well , I bought the power bugle and it is quite easy as I bought others and they were much harder to use.

elkhunter1
07-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Where did you buy Lm.?
Thank,s.

cainer
07-25-2010, 12:50 PM
I have the power bugle-make sure you buy the replacement gray elastic bands-cuz after your first one breaks and you're left with the yellow ones-you'll only be able to get parrot sounds out of that thing. good luck

coquitlam
07-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Where did you buy Lm.?
Thank,s.

It has to be ordered online could not find one in Lower mainland

And order more bands

todbartell
07-26-2010, 11:10 PM
easiest to use bugle I have tried is the Carlton Mac Daddy

Primos terminator is fairly simple too, I now use reeds and a grunt tube from the mac daddy. single reed for high pitch squeels, double for a bugle, triple reed for a raspy herd bull. Very versatile when you figure them out, since you can also do cow/calf sounds on them

mbariesheff
07-26-2010, 11:32 PM
I don't think you will be able to learn in a month. Elk spook quite easily. they have been known to disappear completely if you bugle wrong or poorly. I would suggest not trying to call this year and still to the cow calls, play it safe you don't want to go out for a hunt and see absolutely nothing, especially when you don't know that your call may be actually scaring them away....I would practice this year and all next year you should have a pretty good grasp on how to and how not to bugle and call.

hunter1947
07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
I have never used a power bugle ,all years I have used a 3.5 reed with a locater tube.

barry1974w
07-27-2010, 07:11 AM
You can learn in a month. Just practice.

boonerbuck
07-27-2010, 10:01 AM
Best to go with easiest calls for a newbie. It's pretty tough to get a bull in when your buddies are rolling around laughing at your call attempts.:mrgreen:

Bowzone_Mikey
07-27-2010, 10:45 AM
Bugling Bull makes the best elk calls in the world ... Primos buy their diaphrams and puts their name on them.

Rockie Jacobson is the guy that started them ... and is an Elk calling master ... several time world champion etc....

/www.buglingbull.com

300wsmXboltKiller
07-27-2010, 10:19 PM
thnx everyone for yyour info :) i appreciate it wow time flys hope to be in the mountains realy soon see some of you there im sure :)