PDA

View Full Version : Scent Bomb Bait?????

bwhnter
04-15-2006, 07:03 PM
I was wondering what the overall thought is on using scents for bears. Is it considered baiting or not? The local sporting good store sells the scent bomb for bears and a fellow up here shot a whopper of a bear using it. He pulled on to an old oilfield lease cracked the bomb and left. Came back an hour later and the bear was chewing on the can. If it is legal we are going to give it a try on a gizz.

Steeleco
04-15-2006, 07:12 PM
It's considered baiting. I once looked at apple scent sticks in a local store, the package had a picture of bears on it. After some looking I found out for bears in BC it is illegal. I know the bear baitng concept in BC is VERY HOTLY debated but when one thinks about it, how is it different than sitting over a blueberry patch.

bwhnter
04-15-2006, 08:21 PM
A friend of mine got a Grizzly taken away a couple of years ago because it was shot off of a moose gut pile. I didn't think that it was legal to use scent thanks for clearing that up for me.

Steeleco
04-15-2006, 08:33 PM
There is another thing, if your walking along and see a bear feeding and shoot it legally, only to find out it was eating a gut pile or carion, is it baiting ?? It's one thing to go back to your gut pile but completely another to happen across one!! If there are so many black bears in the province I think some rules need to be revisited!!!

Foxer
04-15-2006, 10:49 PM
It's one thing to go back to your gut pile but completely another to happen across one!! If there are so many black bears in the province I think some rules need to be revisited!!!

The problem isn't things like gut-piles, it's the 'apple scent' stuff.

They're worried if bears get used to 'human smells' they'll be more apt to head into towns or campsites. And they're likely right.

I hear that if you know the tricks, bears are pretty easy to call in. I was talking to a guy who's a bit of an expert hoping to learn some tricks from him. I'd say if you need 'extra' tricks to find a bear - that'd be what i'd go with.

Steeleco
04-15-2006, 10:51 PM
I've tried calling bears a couple of time, I know for sure I scared them away :shock::shock:

Foxer
04-15-2006, 11:00 PM
Ok - first off - an air horn isn't a bear call. We've talked about this. :)

Seriously tho, this guy uses mostly 'predator' types, like rabbits and such. And he said he'd have 'em coming in at a run (so be ready :) )

There's a bit of an art to it. I hope to learn it a bit.

Mooseman
04-16-2006, 06:07 AM
It is ilegal to bait bears in BC.
A quote from the regs: "Bait" - means anything, including meat, cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal or any manufactured product or material, that may attract wildlife and includes plastic or other imitation foods, but does not include a decoy as described under these regulations.

In my mind that includes scent.

A gut pile or a kill, man made or not, is bait as well "if" you know that it is there. You can absolutly shoot a bear that is feeding, as long as you didn't know that there was a kill of a gut pile.

It used to be that a kill or gut pile was not "bait" as long as you didnt move it.

PS: Calling bears is possible and has been successful for me at times. But it is never "EASY". What I mean by that is, if you plan to get a bear by calling it in during a Spring hunt, that is very possible to do. When I am working I have to call in a mature male every 3.5 days on average and that is not easy.
Late May and in the beginning of June calling boars with a cub call can be quite effective.

Dragginbait
04-16-2006, 06:50 AM
I've tried calling bears a couple of time, I know for sure I scared them away :shock::shock:Turn the call around, your blowing on the wrong end:p

ratherbefishin
04-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Some things are pretty obvious-like the pile of fileted fish frames I found one day up at Sombrio-and a plywood target set up right beside it,with 3 holes in the center.
Other situations like going back to the site of a previous kill knowing full well bears will be in the vicinity are less obvious,unless of course someone had set up a stand-that would be tough to ''explain''

Steeleco
04-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Ok - first off - an air horn isn't a bear call. We've talked about this. images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Turn the call around, your blowing on the wrong endimages/smilies/icon_razz.gif
You fella's crack me up. How about if I turn the air horn upside down :eek::eek:

Fred
04-16-2006, 08:42 AM
A friend of mine got a Grizzly taken away a couple of years ago because it was shot off of a moose gut pile.

Under this CO's criteria it would probably be illegal to shoot a bear while it is eating grass or dandilions! :x Were it my Grizz, he would have gone to court! Fred

boxhitch
04-16-2006, 08:45 AM
You fella's crack me up. How about if I turn the air horn upside down :eek::eek:
That could be kind of tough on the truck it is attached to !

Mooseman
04-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Under this CO's criteria it would probably be illegal to shoot a bear while it is eating grass or dandilions! :x Were it my Grizz, he would have gone to court! Fred

Do you know the case?
The reason I ask is if the gut pile was known or perhaps put there? Or not?

It is a bad rule to have a natural kill or a unrelated (not placed) gut pile defined as "bait".
I hope they change that back to difine it as a natural occurrence like salmon or grass or berries! On some small area one can not shoot a bear anymore after a couple of moose had been shot there because one knows the bear is going from A to B. :frown:

bsa30-06
04-16-2006, 09:26 AM
I could understand having it taken away if it was your gut pile(from an animal you killed)and you were hunting over that gut pile, but if you happened along and there he was eating and you shot him thats just a bad decision on the co's part, what were you supposed to do walk over and check to see what it was eating first.I'm with Fred on this one i think we would be going to court.

abbyfireguy
04-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Sometimes the CO's get carried awy with themselves and nit-pick about regs.....
I haven't shot a bear for a long time,but they seem to always be in any area I hunt....Must be my smellie hiking boots or something.:roll:
I had to keep two young Grizzlie away from my last moose kill....
They almost looked like they wanted to jump in the back of the truck with the animal.....
After returning to retrieve a meatsaw left at the site an hour later they were having a royal time with the gut-pile...
I laughed so hard watching their antics and wrestling I almost fell over...

huntwriter
04-16-2006, 09:30 AM
I am glad that this issue gets addressed here. From reading the regs. I am left in confusion about baiting. In fact I am right put off to hunt bears for that reason. What if you kill a bear munching on berries? Do you have to wait until he is done eating and moves on before pulling the trigger?

It's a very silly rule that either should be explained better or relaxed a lot more.

Mooseman
04-16-2006, 09:50 AM
I am glad that this issue gets addressed here. From reading the regs. I am left in confusion about baiting. In fact I am right put off to hunt bears for that reason. What if you kill a bear munching on berries? Do you have to wait until he is done eating and moves on before pulling the trigger?

It's a very silly rule that either should be explained better or relaxed a lot more.

It is a very clear rule that is exclaimed badly in the regulations. Kind of :wink:

Fact:
- You can shoot a bear (provided you have a tag and it's the season and all the other given's) unless you know that there is a kill or a gut pile. If it is yours or your buddy's or if you went by there yesterday and a guy was cleaning a deer or moose, is not relevant. If you "KNOW" of it you can't shoot that bear. You can not place anything that will attract a bear by scent.

- You "can" call a bear in and shoot it.

- You "can" shoot it while it is eating anything but bait. (It is legal to place bait for everything but bears or migratory game birds)!

The biggest problem is another one. That is the fact that "when" is the bear on the bait and when is he not on it anymore. There is no given distance in meters and that is up to each CO to determine if you can shoot that bear or not. He could be 100 meters from a kill or 5 kilometers. When can I shoot that bear after he left that kill ????????

I asked 5 CO's and have 5 different answers. That should not be. A speed limit gives me a clear # that I can work with.

huntwriter
04-16-2006, 10:07 AM
It is a very clear rule that is exclaimed badly in the regulations. Kind of :wink:

Fact:
- You can shoot a bear (provided you have a tag and it's the season and all the other given's) unless you know that there is a kill or a gut pile. If it is yours or your buddy's or if you went by there yesterday and a guy was cleaning a deer or moose, is not relevant. If you "KNOW" of it you can't shoot that bear. You can not place anything that will attract a bear by scent.

- You "can" call a bear in and shoot it.

- You "can" shoot it while it is eating anything but bait. (It is legal to place bait for everything but bears or migratory game birds)!

The biggest problem is another one. That is the fact that "when" is the bear on the bait and when is he not on it anymore. There is no given distance in meters and that is up to each CO to determine if you can shoot that bear or not. He could be 100 meters from a kill or 5 kilometers. When can I shoot that bear after he left that kill ????????

I asked 5 CO's and have 5 different answers. That should not be. A speed limit gives me a clear # that I can work with.

That explains a lot but is still a problem waiting to happen especially with leaving it up to a CO's interpretation about the distance the bear should be from the kill. I could also see a problem if a hunter does not know that there is "bait" but if the CO is looking around finds something that he could consider bait.

Like you said there should be exact outlines. Or still better, in my opinion, scap it and make bait legal. I have hunted over bait and it is not as easy as some folks may think, just like attracting a buck with scent lure does not guarantee a kill.

Foxer
04-16-2006, 10:07 AM
What if you kill a bear munching on berries?

From the regs again:
any manufactured product or material,

If you didn't put the berries there, it ain't baiting.

I agree that the laws should be more clear. The problem of course is they tend to pass these laws thinking about the lowest common denomonator - as in 'what will the stupidest guy out there try', and then leave a lot of room for 'interpretation' for the co's, under the theory that they'll know the difference between real 'baiting' and not.

Of course - it don't always work that way :)

Bottom line - if it wasn't placed there by man, it's not 'bait'. If you are not trying to 'attract' them with 'food' or decoy, then it's all good. I don't think gutpiles should count, but they do under current law (under the theory that you or a human put it there and it attracts the animal). I guess they're worried people will freeze deer guts or something and put them out in the spring. But i still think it's stupid.

boxhitch
04-16-2006, 08:10 PM
IMHO the 'no bait' rule came about, from someones effort to make bear hunting in BC a pure, 'fair chase' type of hunt. With the amount of good habitat we have, plus the abundance of viewable terrain, due to logging and topography, anyone who puts in some bootwork and some spotting skills, will find a bear. Then the fun of the stock begins.
So, the 'intent' of the reg. is to not allow man-made attractants. The inclussion of gutpiles as bait is probably to discourage a hunter from sitting over his own kill, with the very knowledge that it will attract scavengers, with the intent of shooting a bear.
The grey area is whether the said hunter had previous knowledge off said gutpile. Not all CO's are equal (no surprise there).
Fair Chase has been an issue and will be an issue.

huntwriter
04-16-2006, 08:17 PM
The conclusion I get from all this is. That if I go on my first bear hunt I first have to scout for gut piles and then for bears. ;)

Onesock
04-16-2006, 08:20 PM
What is the definition of fair chase? This is almost the same as what is ethical. If it is legal, is it fair chase? Sitting over a gut pile at 15 yards you found whilst scouting a half kilometer off the road with a longbow and wood arrows or flying down a road on a quad with a 7mm mag strapped to your side shooting a bear standing in the middle of the road. Fair chase and ethics are somethings they will never make clear in the regs. What is fair chase?

huntwriter
04-16-2006, 08:20 PM
IMHO the 'no bait' rule came about, from someones effort to make bear hunting in BC a pure, 'fair chase' type of hunt. With the amount of good habitat we have, plus the abundance of viewable terrain, due to logging and topography, anyone who puts in some bootwork and some spotting skills, will find a bear. Then the fun of the stock begins.
So, the 'intent' of the reg. is to not allow man-made attractants. The inclussion of gutpiles as bait is probably to discourage a hunter from sitting over his own kill, with the very knowledge that it will attract scavengers, with the intent of shooting a bear.
The grey area is whether the said hunter had previous knowledge off said gutpile. Not all CO's are equal (no surprise there).
Fair Chase has been an issue and will be an issue.

Using deer lure(food scent) is a form of baiting too so is calling. In that case it would not be fair chase either. The Pope and Young Clup (the fair chase gurus) accept bears shoot with a bow over bait, and they are fanatic about that fair chase thingy.

bwhnter
04-16-2006, 10:14 PM
Sorry was doing the Easter thing with the family so I just got back to my computer. The grizz that was taken away was spotted feeding on the gut pile the day before by some fellows working in the area so they just sat on the gut pile and waited for it to come back to feast. I also know that alot of people around here hunt for black bears in the oat fields and that is a cultivated crop. I am pretty sure that the local co's wouldn't charge anyone for shooting a bear in a cereal crop but according to the law they should. I think it is a fine line and if you use your own judgement you will know what is right in each circumstance.

ratherbefishin
04-17-2006, 09:35 AM
looks to me like there is a lot of ''grey''in this ruling-clearly the pile of fish fillet frames and a target set up beside it I saw was ''baiting'', but was it baiting when I was driving down a road that another hunter told me he shot a moose on the day before and saw eagles and ravens in a tree indicating a bear was feeding nearby?

huntwriter
04-17-2006, 12:27 PM
What is the definition of fair chase? This is almost the same as what is ethical. If it is legal, is it fair chase? Sitting over a gut pile at 15 yards you found whilst scouting a half kilometer off the road with a longbow and wood arrows or flying down a road on a quad with a 7mm mag strapped to your side shooting a bear standing in the middle of the road. Fair chase and ethics are somethings they will never make clear in the regs. What is fair chase?

That is a tough question. If you go by the Pope and Young Club definition of fair chase, is an animal that has not been harvested in an enclosure or by luring them with food into a shooting postition (bait) that has been put in place for the pupose of shooting an animal. The idea behind the fair chase is that the animal is given a fair chance to escape or evade the hunter.

Now having said that, I have hunted in some hunting preserves that where 1000 acres and more of high fencing operations.I would say that the animals there had every opportunity to escape or evade the hunters. In fact hunting was no different in these places than in the wild. I also have hunted bears over bait, I have seen many bears on that bait but never got a shot at any of them. The bait attracted bears but they did not offer a good shot. In fact I find shooting animals over bait often more of a challenge then if animals are not on a bait. The reason for this limitation comes from the fact that feeding animals rarely stand still, feeding animals move around.

In my opinion everything is fair chase, calling, baiting and even hunting behind high fencing provided such areas are of a decent size. A animal in a small pen, or staked down or restricted in any other way is not fair chase in my opinion.

Foxer
04-17-2006, 04:31 PM
Fair chase as a concept could be simply stated as hunting in a manner that doesn't give man a significant advantage over the prey that another predator might have.

Some uninformed anti's will immediately pipe back with something like "well wolves dont' have high powered rifles".

True. But I can't run 30 mph tearing after the deer either :) and considering the ranges we usually encounter game at, 'high powered' rifles really only guarantee us a CLEANER, more humane kill than a wolf (who'd simply hamstring the bugger and let 'em die slowly).

Yes, we have binoculars - but we don't have noses like a coyote. It evens out.

We don't hunt at night to limit the amount of time animals are exposed to us, and we are much more selective as to which animals we'll harvest, allowing for a much higher chance the deer will win the day.

That's why we don't use electronics, or shoot them from helecopters.

Most people don't realize that the advantage for the most part is with the game animal. They will win more times than we do by a rather large margin. And when all is said and done, a small percent will fall to our guns. Most will die in another fashion.

That'd be fair chase in a nutshell. How it's applied changes from region to region. They HAVE to use bait in some parts of the land to help ensure that they don't shoot sows with cubs or the like - but talking to those guys i understand that simply putting out some bait is no guarantee at all you'll even see a bear. There's still a lot of skill to it, including being there when the bear is.

Fred
04-17-2006, 10:46 PM
One only has to look at the number of hunting licences sold over the numbers of animals harvested to see that the advantage, for the most part, lies with the game animal. Fred

sealevel
04-18-2006, 07:03 AM
I heard the reason there is no bear bateing is there`s to many grizzlies. Even calling bears in grizz country is kinda risky.

Shop Lord
04-18-2006, 10:32 AM
I've got a good story for you guys. Over a three year period my neighbour lost a pig, two baby buffalo, horse and thier family dog to a large cinnimon black bear. When the dog was killed I sat there for two days but the bear never returned. When the horse was killed he ate part of the guts and front shoulder before he was scared of the kill. My nieghbours were on vacation during this and the guy who was looking after the horses (who was 78 years old) came and got me. The first day the bear did not return. The second day I arrived at 5am - at 8am I went out in the field to check the condition of the dead horse (I thought if the bear had fed during the night he wouldn't return till the next night.) The horse hadn't been touched. As I was looking at the horse the rest of the horses spooked and started running down the field towards me. The lead horse ran itself into the fence so I started over to help untangle it. Just then the rest of the horses come across the field and heres the bear 5 feet behind the last horse. They're stride for stride all the way across the field and running in my direction. They pass by me and spin around in the corner of the paddock and here they come again quartering towards me at full speed. I drop to one knee (thank God I carried my rifle out in the field) and line up on the bear. The bear is running past me at about 30 yards, the first shot hits him right in the boiler and exits through him blowing his guts out. This didn't phase him as he continued after the horse dragging his guts. A second shot with my 300 win. mag. finally put him down. This was the craziest experience of my life and I'll never forget how that bear looked "hunting" the horse. It was around this time that I realized that this large cinnimon black bear was in fact a grizzly. I walked up to the bear to make sure he was down for good and noticed his paws and face were covered in dried blood. He was a beautifull silvertip mountain bear that measured 6'9 nose to tail. I immediatly went home to call the C.O.'s office (first mistake). It states in the regs " it's unlawful to kill or wound wildlife by accident or to protect life or property and fail to promptly report the killing to an officer. " When I called the CO's office said someone would be out within a day or two. I asked if I should skin the bear so it wouldn't rot. (second mistake) They told me to go ahead and skin the bear. When the CO arrived late the next day he was not impressed to say the least. He asked me to write out a statement which I did (third mistake). I thought at the very least this bear had killed one horse and was in the process of killing another which to me equals a dead bear, therefore I hadn't done anything wrong. Not so. The CO informed me that he would be pursing charges towards me. These are some "facts" that CO Chris Doyle told me:
- grizzly bears very rarely kill livestock (he had never encontered it before)
- you are only allowed to protect YOUR property and YOUR livestock
- I could not prove that this bear had killed the horse or ther animals even
though I asked him to take a stomach sample which he refused to do
- he stated that I was illegally hunting grizzly bears over a bait
One year later I was charged with hunting grizzlies in a closed season or area. For me this is one of the worst charges I could ever have as a sportsman. The first lawyer wanted $19-20 000. The second wanted $17 000. I thought I had a good case until I found out that the law is written - you are only allowed to protect your property or your livestock. So much for being a good neighbour. I talked to the crown and he offered to let me make a "donation" for $7000 and these charges would be dropped. My lawyer ended up getting me a "deal" - $3000 donation and $2000 lawyer fee = $5000
I could not afford $20 000 for a lawyer and have a chance of losing the case anyways. It does not matter if your guilty or innocent all that matters is how much money you can spend to get out of it. I learned alot from all this and hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else. LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!!

Mooseman
04-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hear. It sure sounds like a nightmare! Thank you for telling us your story. It might help someone "not" to do the same mistake of shooting the bear.
I guess after the first kill was noticed, it should have been called in? Did they tell you something like that as to how it should have been done?

Man I feel sorry for you. It just fees like you did a good thing.

Blacktail
04-18-2006, 11:52 AM
A friend of mine got a Grizzly taken away a couple of years ago because it was shot off of a moose gut pile. I didn't think that it was legal to use scent thanks for clearing that up for me.

Look in the regs and you will find that your friend committed an illegal act by taking that grizz over the gut pile.
I wouldnt advertise that too much:roll:

It is also considered as baiting

Shop Lord
04-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah, they said it should have been called in and then they maybe would have responded before another horse was killed. I should have called and said if the bear comes back before they get here - its dead. The CO would tell you not to shoot it but I don't think he could do anything if you did. The CO also said that grizzlies are extremely rare around Pemberton (B.S.!!!) and that he would have relocated the bear - we all know how well that works.
As far as your note goes Mooseman my mistake wasn't shooting the bear it was my decisions after the bear was shot. I wonder how the CO's office would have acted if it was just a black bear - I'm sure none of this would have happened.

bwhnter
04-18-2006, 11:57 AM
I would have done the same thing if I was in your situation. I think the main problem was that the CO had never encountered a grizzly killing livestock before. I guess that is when the three s rule should be applied.

Mooseman
04-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Yeah, they said it should have been called in and then they maybe would have responded before another horse was killed. I should have called and said if the bear comes back before they get here - its dead. The CO would tell you not to shoot it but I don't think he could do anything if you did. The CO also said that grizzlies are extremely rare around Pemberton (B.S.!!!) and that he would have relocated the bear - we all know how well that works.
As far as your note goes Mooseman my mistake wasn't shooting the bear it was my decisions after the bear was shot. I wonder how the CO's office would have acted if it was just a black bear - I'm sure none of this would have happened.

I know how you feel and shooting that bear fealt like the right thing to do. But if you would have done the 3 S's and someone would have seen and reported it, your $5000 would have not coverd that one.

Relocating that bear ??????? I think not.

Shop Lord
04-18-2006, 12:12 PM
The CO worked in Jasper before coming to Whistler (not too much livestock in Jasper) but there are LOTS of documented cases of bears killing livestock-this isn't the first bear to kill farm animals. I agree with the three s rule now but at the time I didn't think I'd done anything wrong (still don't) and getting caught following the three s rule would be the end of my hunting for 10 years and a $100 000 fine. I think that "rule" is morally and ethicly wrong but I would seriously consider it in the future.

huntwriter
04-18-2006, 12:14 PM
man I feel sorry for you, doing morally the right thing and then get whacked over the head by 'eager' officers. Maybe your farmer friend should have promptly sued the wildlife agency for the loss of a horse to a rough bear.

By reading your story I am not surprised anymore that a few farmers use the s.b.s.(shoot, bury, shut up) tactic. That is a typical case, in my opinion, where wildlife protection is elevated higher than the interests of rural people.

bwhnter
04-18-2006, 12:24 PM
The thing about the SSS rule is that it should only be used in situations like you mentioned but it all really depends on the CO that respondes to the call. I know the CO's fairly well around where I live and I have respect for them because they have a hard job. If they would ahve responded to your call I am pretty sure that they would have just taken the hide and given you a warning.
If you have to use the rule and one other person knows what happened that is one person too many.
I agree with huntwriter that the only time this rule should ever be considered is when life or property is in danger and you have to shoot first and ask questions later.

Shop Lord
04-18-2006, 12:35 PM
I also have respect for most CO's. I talked to one in a northern area who said that in the north this wouldn't have happened ( there are political problems with my case because this happened so close to Whistler). He also said that he wouldn't care if it was a panda bear (highly endandered in Canada) that was chasing the horse - it should have been shot.

Mooseman
04-18-2006, 12:46 PM
I also have respect for most CO's. I talked to one in a northern area who said that in the north this wouldn't have happened ( there are political problems with my case because this happened so close to Whistler). He also said that he wouldn't care if it was a panda bear (highly endandered in Canada) that was chasing the horse - it should have been shot.

You just hit the nail on the head. How much did the bear care who shot him? He would have been shot any way you look at it. :roll:

bwhnter
04-18-2006, 12:47 PM
That was what I figured as well. It is pretty sad when the wildlife has more political pull than private property. I was wondering if the owner of the horses offered to help out any?

huntwriter
04-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Working all my life with animals and politics I have often found that the two don't mix. See International CITES agreement. Most wildlife conservation is a political issue first and foremost (back rubbing, political agendas, favours and money making) and then somewhere way down the line comes the animal conservation.

Ozone
04-18-2006, 01:45 PM
What would of happened if you had said the bear was charging you?

Shop Lord
04-18-2006, 03:51 PM
I would have been fine if I said the bear was charging me but I thought I had no reason to lie. The owner of the horses gave me $500 and two other neighbours helped with $100 each. If this had gone to court I would have had a ton of support but it was my name on the line and to be convicted of poaching a grizzly bear was not an option. The donation ensured there would be no record of a wildlife violation. When the CO interviewed the neighbours he asked them if they were upset that I had fired a high powered rifle and had poached a grizzly off their property. They told him that they were forever gratefull to me for saving the rest of thier horses.

Gateholio
04-18-2006, 04:28 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p4f12c7fc3a44af274f6fa9fa9f609990/fbda2119.jpg

Horse killed by grizzly bear.:?

youngfellla
04-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Breakfast, anyone?? :mrgreen:

Onesock
04-18-2006, 05:24 PM
Huntwriter- Shoot,shovel,shut up. 3S's.

ratherbefishin
04-18-2006, 06:30 PM
its a pretty sorry state of affairs when a man gets into trouble for doing the right thing-especially when so many real poaching situations exist-and nothing is done about it,either due to lack of enforcement or political correctness

huntwriter
04-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Huntwriter- Shoot,shovel,shut up. 3S's.

Sorry there Onsesock, I used the USA version.:wink:

bwhnter
04-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Well, I went to my local hunting store and talked to one of the owners about the Scent Bomb bear cans. He told me that when the supplier of this product first contacted him he said that he was also leary but the supplier said that he had a letter from someone in Victoria stating that this product was not considered bait.
I still wouldn't feel comfortable using it unless I had a letter in my pocket from the CO's. On that note I was wondering if anyone knew how or who I could e-mail in the ministry of Environment with this question?

Foxer
04-18-2006, 07:57 PM
On that note I was wondering if anyone knew how or who I could e-mail in the ministry of Environment with this question?

You have to use enquiry bc, and they'll direct you.

Enquiry BC
Enquiry BC is a provincial call centre that provides services to all British Columbia residents, on behalf of provincial government ministries, Crown corporations and public agencies. Hours of operation for Enquiry BC are 7:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. -- Monday through Friday.
http://www.gov.bc.ca/bcgov/content/images/@20IIi_0YQtuW/spacer.gif In Victoria call: 387-6121 In Vancouver call: 604 660-2421 Elsewhere in BC call: 1 800 663-7867 Outside British Columbia: 604 660-2421 E-mail address: EnquiryBC@gov.bc.ca

i'd find someone by phone - and then ask them to confirm their stated position in writing by email (Ask them their email addy and send 'em a 'reminder')

Mooseman
04-18-2006, 08:11 PM
It is not legal.

If the store owner thinks it is and his supplier has a letter, ask him for a copy of the letter. I bet you will not get one.
If you contact the CO service and tell them about the store and the scent bomb, you should excpect that they will be looking in to it in detail.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/index.htm

Shop Lord
04-18-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey Gatehouse thanks for the photo evidence. I've got pictures of the bear but don't know how to post them.

Gateholio
04-18-2006, 10:26 PM
I've got pictures of the bear but don't know how to post them.

That s becasue you suck at the internet.

Steeleco
04-18-2006, 10:44 PM
I've got pictures of the bear but don't know how to post them.

E-mail them to me I'll post them for you!!! steeleco@telus.net

Shop Lord
05-04-2006, 04:16 AM
They are selling big jugs of liquid apple scent in pemby; I asked the salesmen if he thought they were legal and he said the store wouldn't sell it if it wasn't. I guess its legal to use for deer, but not for bears?

boxhitch
05-04-2006, 05:29 AM
Good guess, Curliss. You are learning, grasshopper.

Stone Sheep Steve
05-04-2006, 09:39 AM
Good story ,Curliss. Sorry you got a bum deal.
It sure depends on the CO handling the case.

A few years ago on a sheep hunt my partner had to shoot a charging grizzly. We took pics and promptly reported all the facts as it happenned to the CO for the area and he said that there would be no charges laid. Well, me being the honest person I am, wrote what happenned on a hunting forum. Well, my buddy gets a call about a month later from the CO saying that he is contemplating laying charges as he got a complaint or two from someone who read the story on the Internet:roll: . (anti-hunters lurk around these sites)
We knew he was just blowing smoke outa his a$$ but my friend was a little worried and I felt about 2" tall. My buddy was never charged but he was one of those "cowboy" CO's letting us know he was not to be messed with.
Next time it'll be my initials....SSS

SSS

Shop Lord
05-04-2006, 09:47 AM
I've had acouple pm's along those lines. Good thing my case is a done deal.

Blacktail
05-04-2006, 07:09 PM
They are selling big jugs of liquid apple scent in pemby; I asked the salesmen if he thought they were legal and he said the store wouldn't sell it if it wasn't. I guess its legal to use for deer, but not for bears?

You should consult the Wildlife Act
It is considered baiting and is illegal

Mooseman
05-04-2006, 07:46 PM
You should consult the Wildlife Act
It is considered baiting and is illegal

It is LEGAL to bait anything but bear or waterfowl.

Foxer
05-04-2006, 10:13 PM
It is LEGAL to bait anything but bear or waterfowl.

True - although IF you leave out organic material for predators unattended you can get in trouble for 'feeding' them - which isn't allowed.

Technically you're supposed to take your bait with you when you go if its for predators. Don't know how thoroughly that's enforced, but it is law.

Didn't we just go thru all this recently? I'm having real deja vu here.