PDA

View Full Version : Backcountry Access Fee?

Deadshot
07-24-2010, 07:56 AM
Getting dinged $40 for........MY DOG!!!!
Is this legit?
If so, are guys paying that for every horse they trail in?

BromBones
07-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Whereabouts?

Steeleco
07-24-2010, 08:08 AM
Need more details, dinged by who????

sparkes3
07-24-2010, 08:15 AM
we need more INFO

Deadshot
07-24-2010, 08:27 AM
One of the pilots up north.
Muskwa-Kechika.
Haven't called him on it yet. Thought I'd throw it out there first.

Caribou_lou
07-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Is the fee for taking your pooch on the plane or into a park?

BromBones
07-24-2010, 09:06 AM
If it's in a provincial park, BC Parks do not require a fee for pets - there are restrictions like kept on a leash, not allowed in buildings, etc, but as far as I know there is no fee.

Just something the pilot is dinging you for I guess?

silvicon
07-24-2010, 10:31 AM
if one can afford to fly in one should be able to pay for his/her dog $40
(which is much less than some people drink & smoke away on one weekend).
if one does not like to pay, he should have left the dog home!

sparkes3
07-24-2010, 10:45 AM
if its on a plane its his call

Deadshot
07-24-2010, 10:46 AM
if one can afford to fly in one should be able to pay for his/her dog $40
(which is much less than some people drink & smoke away on one weekend).
if one does not like to pay, he should have left the dog home!
One IS able to pay.
Just curious if it's legit.
If one doesn't have to pay, then one will not!
Your response brings to mind that old saying "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog":-D

hotload
07-24-2010, 11:57 AM
One IS able to pay.
Just curious if it's legit.
If one doesn't have to pay, then one will not!
Your response brings to mind that old saying "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog":-D

I agree. I don't know why people have to add such drivel. And yes, it sure makes you love your doggy more.

srupp
07-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Im not sure I understand the situation..is the $$ for access to the area for the dog..I call BS..

IF its for the transportation of the dog in the plane..seems legit..sorry slow on the thinkling end of things today..
Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
07-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Take a white cane and the dog will be free.:wink:

SSS

Big Lew
07-24-2010, 01:32 PM
I agree with "srupp", if it's for transport, it seems reasonable. Your dog might be very obedient and well mannered, but a lot of pets or working dogs are quite a nuisance and create additional work and concern for a pilot.

Deadshot
07-24-2010, 01:58 PM
Says on the bill "Backcountry Fee X2"
I am kind of wondering how much of a "good boy" he'll be in the plane.

Ozone
07-24-2010, 02:07 PM
Maybe ask the company your flying with first about it. Then come back and let us know what its for.

Sasquatch
07-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I'm surprised if the pilot lets the dog on the plane without being kenneled.

Seems they didn't bill it right, but $40 is not a bad deal to fly your dog in with you.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-24-2010, 02:23 PM
$40 doesn't sound like much but it's just another bend-you-over tax.

When you charter a plane it doesn't cost any more for 2 guys than it does for 4 guys. Tying a canoe or something requires time and labour which you pay for. Opening a door and telling a dog to jump in takes less effort than waiting for another partner to get into the plane. A short leash would remove any chance for the dog causing grief.

SSS

uraarchr
07-24-2010, 02:25 PM
at most airlines your kids are free until their second birthday.id think that you're gettin a deal at 40 bucks for your dog.from what i've heard every extra pound is critical when flying the bush planes.?

MuleyMadness
07-24-2010, 02:25 PM
So by the labelling on the bill it seems to me he's charging you to bring the dog and you into where ever you are flying. It's his plane (or his company's plane), his fuel, his maintenance, etc, so it's his decision whether or not you pay for your dog. Hell he was good enough to tell you about it ahead of time, in order to allow you to decide if you want to bring Fido along. Don't really see how you have much of a leg to stand on with not paying honestly. I mean it does add weight, expense, and time (albeit minimal, though the charge is minimal as well) so it seems reasonable to me.

BromBones
07-24-2010, 03:26 PM
$40 doesn't sound like much but it's just another bend-you-over tax.

When you charter a plane it doesn't cost any more for 2 guys than it does for 4 guys. Tying a canoe or something requires time and labour which you pay for. Opening a door and telling a dog to jump in takes less effort than waiting for another partner to get into the plane. A short leash would remove any chance for the dog causing grief.

SSS

Agreed. The pilots I've talked to this year had the same response - if the dogs been on a plane before and is comfortable, toss him in and go. If it's his first time, they requested a muzzle, or stick the dog in a kennel. Fair enough IMO.

None mentioned an extra fee for bringing the dog.

srupp
07-24-2010, 03:56 PM
weight has never been an issue ever when flying in, no matter which company or where or what plane.. not once did they ever use the scales..pack er till she's full...and the load Bruce pulled out of that mountain lake was actually unbelievable, and he didnt even use all the lake...

Steven

StoneChaser
07-24-2010, 04:48 PM
I think it just another grab by the charter company....and no, you shouldn`t have to pay it.

You chartered the plane, and so long as your cargo is safe and legal, should be able to haul anything you`d like.

Having said that, we`re over a barrel with these monopolized charter and packer companies, and have very little choice in the end.

Good Luck on your hunt.

Everett
07-24-2010, 05:39 PM
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/dogs_in_plane.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=12480&ppuser=892)

Here you go dogs in a float plane if they would have asked for 40 bucks or even worse $80 for two I would have told them to pound sand. I am taking a wild guess that the OP is dealing with that rip off joint in Muncho lake.

BCrams
07-24-2010, 05:43 PM
Are you sure it was for your dog???

There has been a 40 dollar back country landing fee imposed for a number of years with the charter out of Muncho.

Big Lew
07-24-2010, 09:30 PM

There has been a 40 dollar back country landing fee imposed for a number of years with the charter out of Muncho.
So, if you don't land, you don't pay the fee?

bcyukonair
07-24-2010, 09:35 PM
when you charter a plane you pay for the plane.you can put what you want in it provided it is safe and clean.sounds like a muncho trick.

Jelvis
07-24-2010, 09:38 PM
That is raw, you could have bought three packs of john players cigarettes for that.
Or a good sized bottle of vodka, what's going on here?
Jel .. three packs of tailor mades. What a joke. 40 buck.

Deadshot
07-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Was told of this landing fee a few years ago & understood it to be government imposed.
Is this so?

Steeleco
07-24-2010, 10:26 PM
Was told of this landing fee a few years ago & understood it to be government imposed.
Is this so?
I can't see this being fact. The Gov't can't keep track of all the take offs and landings of every civilian aircraft in the province. Hell airports loose track of Jumbo jet TO&L's and they charge thousands in fees.

bigben
07-25-2010, 03:34 AM
THE new HST tax hehehehe

msawyer
07-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Hello all...

Who is the charter company and what exactly did they say the fee was for?

And has anyone checked with BC Parks?

Best regards

Mike
________
Mercury Colony Park specifications (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Mercury_Colony_Park)

GoatGuy
07-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Parks charges commercial operators (airplane charters in this case) to land in Provincial Parks. Charters often pass that cost directly onto their clients instead of including it in the price as several of the flights (most) don't go into prov parks.

Theoretically, the only way around it is if you get dropped off 'in the lake' ie that the plane never touches shore. :wink:

If the dog is the reason I'd pick another operator.

Deadshot
07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
Parks charges commercial operators (airplane charters in this case) to land in Provincial Parks. Charters often pass that cost directly onto their clients instead of including it in the price as several of the flights (most) don't go into prov parks.

Theoretically, the only way around it is if you get dropped off 'in the lake' ie that the plane never touches shore. :wink:

If the dog is the reason I'd pick another operator.

Thanks for that GG.
When I get there I'll bring it up. It'll be the fourth flight in five years (about 10K in business).
Maybe the last!

HD95
07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
One of the pilots up north.
Muskwa-Kechika.
Haven't called him on it yet. Thought I'd throw it out there first.
Urs is the only pilot I know that charges that.He says it's the gov't.Dogs do not cost extra to fly.

boonerbuck
07-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Maybe it's justifiable because he cant be sure it's not going to be a inconvenience with dogs getting motion sick easily or too excited.

Stone Sheep Steve
07-27-2010, 06:00 PM
Maybe it's justifiable because he cant be sure it's not going to be a inconvenience with dogs getting motion sick easily or too excited.

I think people are more inclined to get excited...................... and puke than a dog:-D.

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
08-14-2010, 09:13 PM
Looked at the bill........we paid $40 for the plane to touch down. Not $40 per hunter(2).
What was your bill, Colin??

SSS

curt
08-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Me personally I trust my dog more than most people, protective, loyal and never gives me grief. I would pay 100$ to bring my dog if thats what it cost. A good dog in bear country is worth every dime specially if your hunting alone.

ve7iuq
08-15-2010, 01:35 PM
An old time prospector had a huge dog he used for packing. Then I flew the prospector and his dog into a lake. A couple weeks later I picked them up and you couldn't keep the dog out of the aircraft! The dog had quickly figured out that riding in the aircraft sure beat walking with a pack on.
We made several trips after that and the dog was litterally in his glory, riding in the aircraft.