PDA

View Full Version : Got my bison info package today

reach
07-24-2010, 01:17 AM
and now the serious planning starts. I'm excited of course but also wondering what the hell I'm doing... I've probably bitten off way more than I can chew since I've never been to Pink Mountain and don't own quads or sleds. Should probably have both ready for a Nov 1 hunt since there may or may not be snow.

But, where there's a will there's a way :D so I will get up there and have a look see maybe in the August moose season.

This is going to be an expensive hunt, I'm thinking. But hey, it's an excuse to go buy some better gear. Warmer clothes, tent with a stove, maybe a quad... MasterCard should be pretty happy I got the draw :)

bridger
07-24-2010, 05:42 AM
which zone did you draw

CanuckShooter
07-24-2010, 06:35 AM
and now the serious planning starts. I'm excited of course but also wondering what the hell I'm doing... I've probably bitten off way more than I can chew since I've never been to Pink Mountain and don't own quads or sleds. Should probably have both ready for a Nov 1 hunt since there may or may not be snow.

But, where there's a will there's a way :D so I will get up there and have a look see maybe in the August moose season.

This is going to be an expensive hunt, I'm thinking. But hey, it's an excuse to go buy some better gear. Warmer clothes, tent with a stove, maybe a quad... MasterCard should be pretty happy I got the draw :)

You are so lucky to have that draw.....:-D

shawnwells
07-24-2010, 07:57 AM
we got 2 draws for december....we got thompters cabin booked and most of the planning done...we got one excited bunch of people also ha ha.. still didnt get the package yet tho

reach
07-24-2010, 08:14 AM
which zone did you draw
Zone A Nov 1-15. I'm dying to get up there and have a look around but won't be able to for another 3 weeks or so.

bridger
07-24-2010, 09:09 AM
that is the easiet zone to hunt hope for snow and use sleds instead of quads.

07-24-2010, 09:30 AM
In your info pack, if you stay at the cabins on the HOME AND NATIVE LAND, get ahold of VERN, they will charge you 175 per head per person staying on the ranch .... not 175 per bison tag as it used to be, but the cabins are reasonable. This puts you closer already to the Tatonka. That said you can wall tent or RV it as long as you have lots of Anti freeze, not pay the access fee. You do need snow, the Quads can only be used part way back up the Halfway Valley. That time of year, you may get an easy one off a trail or meadow OR .... you may have to bust your backside, expect to even hike up to the alpine. If it's your first like mine was last year, that time of year I would not be fussy. They are the best eating wild critter iZ have ever eaten, that said ...... shot a big bull and even THE GRAVY IS TUFF.

Jamie at the Pink Mountain Motor Inn is a great guy to contact, goes by ELKMOOSESHEEP Fanatic or something like that on this site. He can Rent you rooms too and offers great food, only draw back is it is a 3/4 hour drive to the drop off point of quads or sleds. He's very helpful.

CT

shawnwells
07-24-2010, 10:50 AM
ya reach im pretty damn excited to get on them bison....lots of hunting to do first tho....my buddy got a nice one in there last year...we got zone A as well...so youll be beating us in there...hope you post some pictures im going to be stoked to get in there by the time you are in there

toyotacowboy
07-24-2010, 02:23 PM
mother in law and brother in law each got a draw for jan.Lucky *******s:mad:

trapman
07-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Ha Reach my wife has the same draw as you ,we are staying at the cabins and will have quad ,slid and snowcat if you may need a little help .Lets keep in touch hope you have a great scouting trip

mudNblood
08-21-2010, 10:57 PM
good luck with your hunt. I'll be there too but first week of october.

mudNblood
08-21-2010, 10:58 PM

Does your draw state either sex?

mudNblood
08-21-2010, 11:03 PM

my draw states "ether sex from oct 1- oct 15"but the info package says
"except for the month of october there is no need to determine the sex " Am i missing something. My first bison draw/trip also.

muledeercrazy
08-22-2010, 12:47 AM
i dont know the particulars but if your draw states either sex they cant really argue with that. I am interested to know what you need to pull this hunt off. I put in for it every year and plan to do it at all costs if i get the draw.

mudNblood
09-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I'm looking at it like a moose hunt with all the same gear but have been gathering as much info from others as far as where to be and how to get there. An extra strong hunting buddy couldn't hurt either

partner
09-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Trapman how big is your snowcat? What does it weigh? There is a weight restriction in there.

trapman
09-06-2010, 09:49 PM
it around 1600 pounds But I just bought a Alpina Sherpa snow machine from the Olympics .Google the name Alpina Sherpa it a real neat maching so I may use it ,it's very quiet you cant hear it run from 15 feet away .It's about 870 pounds . What is the weight restriction did not see it in the info

mudNblood
09-07-2010, 10:19 AM
i believe the max is 500 kg

Wolfman
09-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Pink Mountain is beautiful country. Could be a bit tricky up there when it starts to ice up...