PDA

View Full Version : kootenay elk

quadrakid
04-15-2006, 05:22 PM
i,m new to this forum,really enjoy all the hunting talk. i,ve never hunted the kootenays but am planning an elk hunt. i,m sure this could turn out to be a multi-year quest.so i,m looking at the regs and looking at my map book as well as trying to pick the brains of guys who have been there. i have a good idea of major drainages that produce a few elk. my question is ,would it be reasonable to assume that all these little drainages that have road restrictions are drainages that may hold elk? could a guy in reasonable shape backpack into some elk country?i,m thinking of the east kootenays.

bcboy
04-15-2006, 05:32 PM
pretty much!! better worry about what time to go too!!

Stone Sheep Steve
04-15-2006, 05:51 PM
A lot of the motorized vehicle restricted areas are accessible by foot or mtn bike. Maybe something to look into.
Sorry I can't offer more advice as I've never shot an elk there (or anywhere else for that matter:frown: )
SSS

GoatGuy
04-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Elk are like rats around there right now! :wink: You don't need to backpack but it'll eliminate 90% of resident hunters and you'll have more for as long as you're ok with a bit of work. Just about anywhere in the East Koots and you'll be in the money. Have fun!

brotherjack
04-15-2006, 08:28 PM
There's not a lot of drainages that don't hold elk around here. Though, I'm too lazy to backpack in or out on an elk hunt. There's plenty of elk close enough to the forrestry roads, that I don't see the need to hurt myself packing one out of the deep woods. :)

(P.S. no, that does NOT mean I am a road hunter (not that I have anything against people who do), it just means that I stick close enough to a vehicle accessible area that I don't have to kill myself packing one out after I shoot it).

kutenay
04-15-2006, 09:50 PM
The easiest place to get an Elk is the Tuchodi-Muskwa-Gatho-Chisca area of north-eastern B.C., especially since there are both Cow and 3-point seasons. Two guys going in with Guy Scott who are in reasonable shape with decent camp gear and are willing to work a bit should score w/o too much trouble.

The Kootenays have nicer trophies, but, the Elk are wary, largely stay in the timber and keep pretty quiet during the daytime in the rut. There are a fair number of Elk there, but, it is surprising how even a very experienced hunter who knows the ground can fail to find one in several days of trying; I started hunting there 42 years ago, so, this is experience talking.

Elk are big animals and backpacking the meat, cape and rack out from a legal bull, in the very tough conditions of the Kootenays, is EXTREMELY difficult. I have backpacked that country since June, 1964, have the finest packs that money can buy and still try to kill fairly close to a road. I would say that if you cannot easily pack a minimum of 75 lbs. for a couple of hours at a time at home, you won't be able to deal with packing an Elk in the Kootenays.

The best trophy bull hunting is in certain areas of the West Kootenays and the packing there is far tougher than in the East Kootenays, on average. It is "spot and stalk" hunting and you really need to be in shape and know both the country and Elk behaviour. Last season, I came close to my finest ever, a heavy 6x6, but, he zigged when I zagged and ran into a bullet from another guy. It happens and I am happy for that chap.

Start scouting now or a.s.a.p. and get into shape, they are there!

Sniper
04-16-2006, 09:11 AM
Quadrakid Kutenay once again has hit the nail right on the head! last year I hunted Elk off the Tuchodi river, the muskwa river(as far up as 7 1/2 hrs at an average speed of 45km thats way up there) and also spent 10 days hunting the Elk valley up beyond Elkford. I saw 1 4 or 5 point bull Elk with a cow in tow up beyond Elkford and one medium sized cow on a slide in 10 days of hunting. The Elk valley Elk to me appear to be the largest and most magnificent looking animals in B.C., big bodied and darker colouring than their northern cousins, BUT! The area is hunted hard by locals and out of towners in fact the bull and cow I saw looked terrified and ran flat out through the bush to escape. also 2 five point bulls where shot in the area and left to rot, obviously the culprit hunters shot first and counted points later, realized there where not enough points and bailed. The animals I heard about that where shot in the area where actualy shot off the railway right of way that runs along the back of the farm fields in and around the towns(is this even legal?). Also as an added bonus when my nephew and I did find a decent area a group of hunters that could barely speak english came into the area we where hunting and when I informed them they would have to find another place to hunt we where there first ect. they floored there 4x4 and almost ran over us! These gentlemen where very lucky that day and so was I because my old hunting partner was not with me and I'm sure he wouldn't have jumped out of the way he would have wheeled around and put one right between the drivers F***in eyes! Harry was a lot of fun but he had a very nasty temper! Anyway to make a long story short my suggestion is to leave this area to the locals and join the corus and demand the end of commercial hunting in this area! In my humble opinion the Elk and sheep hardly stand a chance even without the commercial people as it is, maybe if the government buys out the commercial guys the Elk will bounce back.

Sniper
04-16-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm sure how much text you can put in a post so I'll post some more here on the Tuchodi/Muskwa area's I have hunted. Last year I also spent 3 weeks hunting Elk off the Tuchodi/Muskwa rivers and about 3 weeks hunting Elk off the Tuchodi the year before. Last year I really busted my ass climbing up onto the high hill sides right from opening day.It's beautiful country and so nice to leave at least 90% +of the hunters that don't have a jet boat or don't have the time or money to hire a packer to get them up river behind! Anyway I saw about 120 cow Elk and 3 Bull Elk over the 3 week period 2 4 points 1 5 point I'm sure I counted the same cows a couple times when I saw likely the same Elk days later. These rivers are fairly quiet for the first 10 days or so of the season before the rut fires up but become busy with jet boats and hunters. The Elk are smaller and lighter in colour than the Koutenay Elk and a little less spooky or skitish in fact if you wear camo with a face cover and move very slowly you can often walk right up to within 25ft of the cows as long as you are not winded by them. Forget walking up on the bulls. But once again we have a ratio of 120 cows to 3 imature bulls! If you do go into these area's you will notice the commercial guys the guide outfitters have remote landing strips, Quads, airplanes circling the mountain tops in the evening spotting the big rams and probably the big Elk bulls, horses, horse trails cut into every lick and grassy slope ect. ect. ect. After spending this time in this area hunting Elk my suggestion would be to talk to anybody you can find that knows the area and knows area's about 1 mile or so off the river preferably high steep grassy slopes. If you can afford it spend the bucks and go in with a packer that has horses and can access the more undisturbed area's, let the horses pack out your animal:grin: ! Anybody that has packed an animal out a mile can tell you it can be a back breaker. Anyway I hope this has given you a little helpful info sorry for the shitty writing and spelling but I'm a hunter not a writer:grin:

GoatGuy
04-16-2006, 10:26 AM
The BS is getting fairly thick around here. :wink:

There are plenty of elk up North as there are in the East Kootenays. If you know where to hunt up North you can get into huge bulls. There are several over the 340s that have come out of the north country in the past couple years - you just need to know where to look and pass a couple up.

Kutenay is right about the "Wet" Kootenays. Big bulls but god awful terrain.

Brotherjack is also right, you don't need to wonder far from the roads and you'll be into elk in the EK.

I have a buddy who was an outfitter in the East Kootenays for over 25 years and he has never seen elk like there are right now. He got back from flying last year towards the end of October and the first morning out they called a 6X7 in and two days later they called a 6X6 in walking from his house and hunting on crown land. Smacked both of them and that was it.

I know several other buddies who hammered bulls last year - all relatively close to town.

I have 2 buddies who guided out there and they did really well too - all clients in camp had atleast one opportunity over the course of the season.

Don't let these guys fool you there's lots and lots of critters over there and if you put in the time and know how to hunt you'll be in good shape.

GoatGuy
04-16-2006, 10:54 AM
Also as an added bonus when my nephew and I did find a decent area a group of hunters that could barely speak english came into the area we where hunting and when I informed them they would have to find another place to hunt we where there first ect. they floored there 4x4 and almost ran over us! These gentlemen where very lucky that day and so was I because my old hunting partner was not with me and I'm sure he wouldn't have jumped out of the way he would have wheeled around and put one right between the drivers F***in eyes! Harry was a lot of fun but he had a very nasty temper! Anyway to make a long story short my suggestion is to leave this area to the locals and join the corus and demand the end of commercial hunting in this area! In my humble opinion the Elk and sheep hardly stand a chance even without the commercial people as it is, maybe if the government buys out the commercial guys the Elk will bounce back.

Were these were guided hunters???

Shop Lord
04-16-2006, 01:14 PM
I've been interested in going over there for the early Sept. bow season (any elk is open). None of my friends bowhunt and I'd rather not go solo- if anyones got any tips or free time between sept.1-9 let me know.

cowboy-up69
04-16-2006, 01:24 PM
I've been interested in going over there for the early Sept. bow season (any elk is open). None of my friends bowhunt and I'd rather not go solo- if anyones got any tips or free time between sept.1-9 let me know.

If you come threw my way, Im up for it!

quadrakid
04-16-2006, 02:11 PM
thanks for all the info, it all helps in planning a trip

Sniper
04-16-2006, 03:01 PM
I have a buddy who was an outfitter in the East Kootenays for over 25 years and he has never seen elk like there are right now. He got back from flying last year towards the end of October and the first morning out they called a 6X7 in and two days later they called a 6X6 in walking from his house and hunting on crown land. Smacked both of them and that was it.

This is the problem guy's like you repeat the horse shit you hear from somebody that heard it from there buddies guide outfitters friend I'm speaking from hundreds of hours of actualy being there in the field! Sounds like your friends went a little to far east and ended up hunting in Jasper national park!

GoatGuy
04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
This is the problem guy's like you repeat the horse shit you hear from somebody that heard it from there buddies guide outfitters friend I'm speaking from hundreds of hours of actualy being there in the field! Sounds like your friends went a little to far east and ended up hunting in Jasper national park!

Hundred of unsucessfull hours doesn't mean the game isn't there :wink:

The past outfitter is my buddy. They actually had 4 on the go in 3 days at the end of October - well past the rut. The area around his house sees a lot of resident pressure.

My two buddies who guided are guys that I used to guide with and my hunting buddies - I've seen the pictures and the video. The area they guide isn't even that good for elk and they did really well this year - biggest bull was right around 330.

I hunted out in the EK in September and November - didn't bother with elk was out chasing other critters. Can't remember how many elk we saw probably around 80 or 90 including a couple of good bulls out in somebody's field on the side of the highway :roll: couldn't believe it. Also saw 45 in 1 1/2 days of scouting in July.

The area you were hunting (4-23) the outfitters average around 6-7 elk/year in the past 10 years out of that area. Residents have averaged around 130. It's one of the best valley's in BC for all game - just need to know the spots I guess.

As far as up North goes I've flown guys into Tuchodi and Kulachesi for elk- they all do well (usually 1 bull between every 2 guys) considering they're generally pretty green. One of my buddies fly's in every year and they do really well - they usually go 4-5 for 6 on elk. Course they've been flying in for the past 8 years and know the area.

I've also hunted Elk up North but mostly somewhere between the Williston, Wonowon and Tumbler and found it pretty good. :wink:

Course they aren't behind every bush but they're in really, really good shape. You can always call the ministry staff in Cranbrook or FSJ and ask how the elk pops are doing if you like.

Good luck quadrakid hope you "luck out". We'll wait to see pictures.

Maxx
04-16-2006, 05:19 PM
[quote=GoatGuy]Hundred of unsucessfull hours doesn't mean the game isn't there :wink:

The past outfitter is my buddy. They actually had 4 on the go in 3 days at the end of October - well past the rut. The area around his house sees a lot of resident pressure.

My two buddies who guided are guys that I used to guide with and my hunting buddies - I've seen the pictures and the video. The area they guide isn't even that good for elk and they did really well this year - biggest bull was right around 330.

I hunted out in the EK in September and November - didn't bother with elk was out chasing other critters. Can't remember how many elk we saw probably around 80 or 90 including a couple of good bulls out in somebody's field on the side of the highway :roll: couldn't believe it. Also saw 45 in 1 1/2 days of scouting in July.

The area you were hunting (4-23) the outfitters average around 6-7 elk/year in the past 10 years out of that area. Residents have averaged around 130. It's one of the best valley's in BC for all game - just need to know the spots I guess.

As far as up North goes I've flown guys into Tuchodi and Kulachesi for elk- they all do well (usually 1 bull between every 2 guys) considering they're generally pretty green. One of my buddies fly's in every year and they do really well - they usually go 4-5 for 6 on elk. Course they've been flying in for the past 8 years and know the area.

I've also hunted Elk up North but mostly somewhere between the Williston, Wonowon and Tumbler and found it pretty good. :wink:

Course they aren't behind every bush but they're in really, really good shape. You can always call the ministry staff in Cranbrook or FSJ and ask how the elk pops are doing if you like.

Good luck quadrakid hope you "luck out". We'll wait to see pictures.

Are you a Bush pilot Goat guy?

GoatGuy
04-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Are you a Bush pilot Goat guy?

Was, haven't been flying up there since 2003. Just getting back on the bus now.