PDA

View Full Version : Hilleberg Allak Review

BlacktailStalker
07-23-2010, 02:04 PM
I set up my Hilleberg today.
I am impressed with the quality of this tent, they have over looked nothing and the simple adjustments you're able to perform on everything is nice. Should make for a quiet sleep and rock solid performance in the elements.
It is so simple and quick to set up, less than 5 minutes. Probably 3 now that I've done it once.
The ability to "build" it from the ground up without creating a "kyte" like most tents do after sleeving one pole, will be key in high winds which we encounter all too often "up top."
I will post a review for others that may be interested after my first trip.
I didnt find much for reviews when researching so it may be helpful to others.

I won't miss the extra 3+lbs from my old tent and a second vestibule will be nice.

Devilbear
07-23-2010, 02:29 PM
I have been extolling the (real) virtues of Hilleberg tents on this forum for nearly four years and your comments will, I hope, assist other serious mountain hunters to decide to buy what are, simply, the best tents currently available.

The Allak is an outstanding tent for all-around BC use and it would be. along with the Jannu, my first choice if I were buying another tent. Sometimes, paying more is WELL worth it in the long run.

Buck
07-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Looking forward to the review.Pretty much geared out for this year.

srupp
07-24-2010, 12:33 AM
that was my first choice 2 years ago however they were not in stock @ the time I needed to purchase a lite bombproof tent..was VERY impressed..

GREAT CHOICE..looking forward to your retrurn and review..
Steven

luckynuts
07-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Hmmm I've just been researching tents and really looking at the Nano 2 GT or the Kaitum 2 GT. Pricey but would be the last tent I buy for the mountains. And Yes Devilbear you got me started looking at them, along with Bigwhitey's on the 6500 nice and on and on and I'm sure I will be getting divorced soon Lol.

W.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-28-2010, 10:06 PM
just set up my Yukon from I.D everything's good but they messed up with my vestibule on the zippers:icon_frow if the new one doesn't show up by noon tomorrow i will have to go with out it.... not happy:evil:

BlacktailStalker
07-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Thats too bad SEMF, hope if shows in time.
I was less than happy with the help of their rep, so went with a different brand. Another thing that put me off is I found that tent for $450 online from a sister store to one of the main ones that carrys ID. I emailed the closer retailer (WA) to ask if they would match the price, just to find that this was in fact the sister store to the cheaper priced place and they raised the price online before replying to me! :mad::lol:

11-23-2010, 02:19 PM
Blacktail,

I'm looking for a new tent and I think I have my search narrowed down to Hilleberg.
How well did this tent vent on your goat hunt? I know you wet solo but do you think there is enough room for 2 grown men to sleep in this tent? Thanks.

bruin
11-23-2010, 09:07 PM
I used a Hilliberg Allak all sheep season this year. Its a hair tight for two guys but very doable. The weight is excellent for a two man. It stands up very well to bad weather. Double vestibules are great. My only complaint is that it didn't vent that well with two guys. If there's a breeze you can open the top vents and its not bad but if its a still night the fly is pretty soaked. Also, with the inner attached to the fly its a pain in the ass to dry out, you have to detach and that's a bit time consuming. All in all a good all around tent though.
A suggestion would be to take some nylon staps with you to cinch down the bag when packed up as they have no compression straps on their bag.

Buck
11-23-2010, 09:11 PM
Thanks Bruin still waiting for Blacktailstalkers review

11-25-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks for the info Bruin. I'm looking for a freestanding tent that has good ventilation, I have sleeping in a damp tent. I remember reading that the Staika, the more stout version of Allak, has better ventilation, I'm assuming it has an extra vent?

bruin
11-25-2010, 10:48 PM
I think it greatly depends on what you're planning to use the tent for. If you're not going to do any really late season or winter camping I would look at a tent that has a half bug mesh wall. I've sat out many a storm in one of these, the beauty is that it has fantastic ventilation but still keeps most of the breeze off of you on colder nights (rather than the full bug mesh walls on a summer tent). This would be an example
http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/tentdetail.cfm/BIG1034
(I've never used this tent, just saying its got half walls).

bigwhiteys
11-26-2010, 08:54 AM
Sometimes condensation is hard to avoid on mountain hunts, no matter how good quality the tent is.

The Allak definitely has more ventilation than my ID MKIII...

What about keeping the top vents open, and opening up the vestibules a little bit as well towards the bottom...?

I'll be using this tent a few times over the next few months and will write up a detailed review when I've used and abused it a little more.

Carl

Devilbear
11-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Just a little comment here, Carl, to the effect that I have a couple of friends, hardcore ID fans as am I and they have purchased tents since the takeover by the company that also controls Rab Gear. These guys are very experienced and know gear and found the latest ID tents to have serious flaws and ID management was NOT polite or helpful in addressing this.

So, if I were you, I would hangon to that MKIII for as long as you can and it still is among the best high country-cold weather shelters for two that I know of. I was going to sell my ID-MKI-XL which I bought in 2007 and after what I have heard, I will now keep it.

That said, the Hille. Allak or Jannu simply beats anything else for all-around high hunting use and their customer service is outstanding. I have a Saivo that cost BIG bux and is beyond comfortable as a base camp tent for one guy...and, I can pack it 15 minutes from my vehicle and have a secure and enjoyable camp in any weather.

I also hear that Hille. is going to introduce some VERY interesting stuff next February or so, something to watch for.

11-26-2010, 11:06 AM
I have a full mesh tent now, http://marmot.com/products/aeros_3p
Nice light tent, works great for early hunts and drier locals.
Problem is that the pole design is such that it's hard to get a nice dome shame. Under heavy rain or a bit of snow there is some sagging of the fly which mean condensation doesn't run down to the ground but rains on you, this was a big problem on this years goat hunt. We were lucky to find a public cabin to dry out in.
I think I have it narrowed to the allak or the jannu, I guess I just need to go down south and actually get into one before I buy.
Carl, I read your write up from last years hunt, I'm still a bit leery about the single wall design but I'm keeping an open mind.

11-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Devilbear,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll wait for the new models to come out.

bigwhiteys
11-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Just a little comment here, Carl, to the effect that I have a couple of friends, hardcore ID fans as am I and they have purchased tents since the takeover by the company that also controls Rab Gear. These guys are very experienced and know gear and found the latest ID tents to have serious flaws and ID management was NOT polite or helpful in addressing this.

Yes, I know. I have several pieces of ID gear and on my last dealings with ID dealt with Evan directly, this was a few months before the takeover. My MK III was purchased a few years ago and I have not run into any quality issues, condensation has been a problem on a few occasions, and I really wish I had the second door put in to help combat that.

The Hille, overall seems easier for two guys to get in and out of with wet gear, in the mountains etc... I have grown to dislike having to "crawl" through the vestibule of the ID to get into my tent and getting boots on/off and gear on/off with the tiny tunnel entrace is a pain.

The ID does have a smaller foot print though, and sometimes the rectangular shape can be a blessing to fit into "snug" places on the mountain.

If I understand correctly ID still operates it's factory out of Calgary but are now focusing their efforts on military/government issue gear as opposed to dealing with the general public. RAB took that portion of the brand over?

Carl

bigwhiteys
11-26-2010, 11:20 AM
I think I have it narrowed to the allak or the jannu, I guess I just need to go down south and actually get into one before I buy.

If you're ever on the Island you are more than welcome to stop by or meet me at WholesaleSports or something to check out both tents, that offer goes for anybody looking at buying them.

Carl, I read your write up from last years hunt, I'm still a bit leery about the single wall design but I'm keeping an open mind.

Don't be leary about the single wall design at all... The "TegralTex" used by ID is a very strong fabric, I am not so sure it offers the same water repellency as the Kerlon (silicon impregnated) put out by Hilleberg.

The addition of a second door on the ID would greatly benefit the ventilation issues. (they said they could install one for me for $100+/-)

One clear benefit of the ID over the Hilleberg is the method of which you set it up. In really crappy stormy weather, I could be inside my ID MK III staying dry while the Hilleberg is still getting setup. The ID you can setup from inside the tent... Simply roll it out and crawl inside with the two poles in-hand and set it up. The Hille takes a little longer, and you are outside while setting it up.

Carl

11-26-2010, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the offer Carl!

BlacktailStalker
11-26-2010, 03:45 PM
I forgot about this thread sorry guys.
My allak was excellent.
My favorite thing so far is how taught it is when properly set up, there was 60-70kmh winds on my goat hunt @ 7000' and I slept very well whereas most tents would be bowed over nearly touching your face and flapping in the wind like the flag on a mast.
After my goat hunt I messed around in sheep country and slept through some monsoon rains and what were apparently 90-100kmh winds and the same thing, surprisingly quiet and I was completely dry.

It took no more than 2-3 minutes to erect the tent. Double that to stake it out properly.
The hillberg allows you to erect the tent in a circular figuration from the ground up so you dont create a giant kyte like most tents do, often trying to 'fly' away in strong winds.
I'm not sure any 2 man tent is truly a 2 man tent so no it is not a 2 man tent unless you are a midget or have an eating disporder, although specifics say it is.
It is very roomy for one.
The door on each side instead of each end is VERY nice as you could piss out one side and enter the other if you wanted.
I didnt do that but I did eat breakfast in my bag with both sides unzipped and glassed for hours from my bed, that was nice.
If you're a big guy like me, its nice not having to crawl through a tunnel opening at one end to get in/out or to grab something.
Ventilation was not a problem for me.
I'd recommend this tent to anyone who wants a top of the line tent with nothing being overlooked during manufacturing.

Because no gear is perfect, I wish the zippers were a bit bigger and the inner tent was a little more taught (you have to hold the end when zipping the liner open/closed) but these are moot issues.

11-28-2010, 11:23 PM
I'm not a midget so I guess the Allack is out. It would be nice if they came out with a 3 man version next year.