PDA

View Full Version : Inserts on carbon bolts

Mountaintop
07-21-2010, 10:45 AM
I’ve got a newbie question. I got a new crossbow a few weeks back and after getting some help sighting it in I have shot it a few times on my own. Shooting into a stuffed burlap sack I noticed that when I pulled the bolts out of the bag the inserts on most of the bolts I have came loose after only a few shots and have disappeared along with my field points into the bag or the backstop. I have spent a lot of time digging through the bag and backstop to find and remove the inserts and points. Of the six bolts I got with the bow only one has not lost the insert. I’ve been told I should glue in the inserts but it seems that factory fresh bolts should not need that. Am I wrong here or do I really need to glue the inserts? How do you get the inserts out of new bolts to glue them and what glue should I use? I am shooting Excalibur Firebolt carbons with 125 grain field points.

Thanks for your help.

Alces Man
07-21-2010, 01:57 PM
I also have had problems with inserts on Firebolt carbons but only at the fletched end....using a homemade threaded puller to remove them from the target. After they loosened up enough to stickout 2/3's of their length, I then used hotmelt to glue them....no problems since.

Bow Walker
07-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Hot melt works pretty good and so does that 2-part epoxy stuff. Just make sure that you allow lots of time for the glue/epoxy to cure - at least 24 hours.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Hot melt on Carbon is typically not a good idea

heat and carbon do not play nice with one another ... breaks down the bonding agents in the carbon fiber and is a good way to get a hand full splinters ...

take a dremmel tool spindle sander using your hand ...NOT the Dremmel tool.... and gently scuff the inside of the shaft ... take the nock out the other end and pour some water down it to rinse it out ... then use some 2 part epoxy like BW says .. or "Goat tuff" I personally use "Gorilla Glue"

I switched from Hot melt not that long ago after noticing a few bulges in my carbon arrows near the front and after losing a few points (all my target arrows dont use inserts ... just glue in points)to some 3D targets and Donna Conna butts (even in Alums) ... Havent lost an Insert or Point since and am quite happy as my arrow weight has gone down 1-2 grains using glue other than hot melt

Mountaintop
07-22-2010, 06:27 AM
Thanks for the replies and good info on hot melt and carbon bolts. I also sent a note off to Excalibur and they said that the inserts should be glued in as well but said it should have been done at the Easton factory. They are going to replace the parts for me. I’ve never heard anything but good things about Excalibur. Not only do they make a great bow but they really seem to stand behind their products. Even though I’ve had a little problem I am glad I bought their bow.