PDA

View Full Version : Mill Bay to Sidney salmon?

bigshooter
07-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Just picked up a boat and I haven't fished the salt for about 10 years. I'm taking the family out on Saturday and need the usual advice. I have riggers, rods, and prawn + crab pots. I have always fished tent island and out to pouler pass but this time I will be trying the narrows and out to Sidney. Any thing new any fish what are the regs on cod and salmon a good place to drop the traps.

MB_Boy
07-21-2010, 07:59 AM
Any thing new any fish what are the regs on cod and salmon a good place to drop the traps.

Not too tough to find the regs. :wink: Be sure to read the "notices" for the area you are fishing.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/index-eng.htm

bigshooter
07-22-2010, 07:32 PM
Ok I read the sterio instructions now do I get some tips?

bigshooter
07-23-2010, 06:34 AM
What size/style anchor for a 15 foot whaler style boat?

Salty
07-23-2010, 09:10 AM
What size/style anchor for a 15 foot whaler style boat?

Bigger is better so it depends on how much you want to haul :wink:

Seriously you don't need much anchor for that boat. Most anchors will give boat lengths/weights that they are good for. For yours I'd maybe go 20 poundish :confused: Danforth style work pretty good for small boats and store nicely

http://www.theanchorstore.co.uk/images/danforth%20anchor.jpg

Sorry, don't know much about the south island area. But in general look for herring balls, birds swarming and salmon shouldn't be too far away.

Gerry
07-23-2010, 09:17 AM
Check out the chat room on Sport Fishing BC. You will probably get the information that you are looking for there. Tons of up to date info on saltwater fishing for the south island area.

MB_Boy
07-23-2010, 09:19 AM
I am like Salty and can't help you with the area.

The danforth's are great and one of the most popular anchors out here. For a boat your size I have also seen an aluminum anchor that looks pretty similar to a danforth but the key thing is that you can disassemble it for storage. Judging by the size of your boat this may be something to consider.

Now I have never used one of these anchors but from what I have heard they work quite well.