PDA

View Full Version : Bear VS Trailcam

Jordo
07-20-2010, 05:30 PM
So after reading a thread about using some bait for a trailcam, I got myself a bag of granny smith apples and hit the spot where I found a match set of 5x5 mulie sheds this spring. I spread the apples around my camera, smashed a few open to get the scent and left. I came back a week hoping to catch a peak of some bucks. Well, when I got there I found my camera chewwed on. Tiny little bite marks front and back. The convex plastic motion sensor cover smashed in, the strap chewwed. It didnt look good. I took it home to check the pics and have a closer look. The camera still seems to work, and I managed to pop the motion cover peice back into place. I didnt get any "good" pics of the bear actually chewwing on the camera, just blurry black shots of somthing too close to focus. I counted five different bears in the week the camera was there. Once I get my memory card loaded I'll download some pictures. I only had one doe with a fawn walk by, and the rest were bears. Anybody else had this problem? I guess I should either build or buy a protective cover. I also wonder if I got some apple scent on the camera. Either way I am just glad that its not wrecked. Next time I'll just use a salt lick.

Surrey Boy
07-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Good story. Too bad about the expense.

Brian011
07-20-2010, 05:57 PM
that sucks, this year i've got pics of bears sniffing my camera but so far none have chewed it, hopefully they dont but i think some kind of case may be a good idea.

Jordo
07-20-2010, 06:04 PM
I've seen some of your pics Brian. You've got some great bucks coming in. What have you been using for grain in those trail cam pics, or is it just a shit mix? I picked up a 2kg salt lick from the horse barn for about $3. I'd like to try the salt and some sort of mineral/grain mix for the rest of July and into August. I am hoping to catch a pic of a big ******* thats in the area.

ruger#1
07-20-2010, 06:06 PM
I always use latex gloves to set up my camera.

Brian011
07-20-2010, 06:09 PM
i went to the horse barn and got a 20 kg bag of grain, i think it was a mix of grain corn and molasses and it was about $11. it lasted about a week but i think if i would have spread it out more it would last longer. i also just put out a salt block and will check in a week or so to see if anything stopped by and then maybe half way through august i might put out another bag of grain and see if those bucks stick around.

BCHunterFSJ
07-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I've had 2 trail cams "mauled" by bears. Luckily both still work, but not as well...

dino
07-21-2010, 10:19 PM
So after reading a thread about using some bait for a trailcam, I got myself a bag of granny smith apples and hit the spot where I found a match set of 5x5 mulie sheds this spring. I spread the apples around my camera, smashed a few open to get the scent and left. I came back a week hoping to catch a peak of some bucks. Well, when I got there I found my camera chewwed on. Tiny little bite marks front and back. The convex plastic motion sensor cover smashed in, the strap chewwed. It didnt look good. I took it home to check the pics and have a closer look. The camera still seems to work, and I managed to pop the motion cover peice back into place. I didnt get any "good" pics of the bear actually chewwing on the camera, just blurry black shots of somthing too close to focus. I counted five different bears in the week the camera was there. Once I get my memory card loaded I'll download some pictures. I only had one doe with a fawn walk by, and the rest were bears. Anybody else had this problem? I guess I should either build or buy a protective cover. I also wonder if I got some apple scent on the camera. Either way I am just glad that its not wrecked. Next time I'll just use a salt lick.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/IM000008.jpg
This bear did maul the cam but no real damage. I stopped using tuppawear containers cut in half to protect my cams from heavy rain.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/IM000014.jpg
He left this one alone.

hunter1947
07-22-2010, 02:43 AM
I had bears take the camera off the tree ,there was not food scent on the camera ,for some reason I think they get curios when they see it and pull it off the tree to look at it ????.

A few times when I went back to check my trail camera the first thing I do when I am getting close to it is look to see if it is still there a few times it was not there and I said not again.

When I got up close to where the camera was on the tree it was on the ground within 20 feet of where it was set up.

My thoughts are is they see it and think thats it something that they might be able to eat ???.

BCHunterFSJ
07-22-2010, 08:59 PM
Here, the pic of the bear eating my camera......

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/Trail%20Cam%20Pics/MDGC0058.jpg

OutWest
07-22-2010, 09:09 PM
Here, the pic of the bear eating my camera......

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w130/BCHunter_photos/Trail%20Cam%20Pics/MDGC0058.jpg

Bear boxes will stop 'em. We used to have them chewing on ours all the time but haven't had any problems in the last 2 seasons. Still lots of pics of them too!

BearSniper
07-22-2010, 09:42 PM
That second one is a good sized Bear, has a nice coat.

Were those taken 0652 a.m. or p.m. ? Some cameras are 24 hour time some are not.

dino
07-24-2010, 09:44 PM
That second one is a good sized Bear, has a nice coat.

Were those taken 0652 a.m. or p.m. ? Some cameras are 24 hour time some are not.

in the am. The cams are set on 24hr time.

The Hermit
07-24-2010, 10:17 PM
I'd be setting up a tree stand there and waiting for that bear with my bow... he is a nice one!!!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-25-2010, 07:10 AM
I had my trailcam all of one week before a bear smashed it and I didn't use any bait...and this was the 3rd week in November.
Hang them higher. Use a couple of tree stand climbing pegs to get you up there and angle the camera down.

SSS

dukester
07-25-2010, 08:56 AM
lol sorry had to laugh, had this happen also. get yourself a metal army ammo box and some foam , cut holes where your lens and flash will be use the foam to fill in the box and lag bolt the box to the tree.you touch your camera after handling the apples, .. nice bear wow.