PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Pack

Robert
07-20-2010, 10:17 AM
Just wondering what kind of packs guys are usings for sheep these days. I am a solo hunter looking for an external frame pack under $350. Not interested in interframe or badland pack for $500. I took a sheep last year off the Alaska hwy - I bet the pack on the way out was 140lbs or more. The pack had to be 55lb, meat 60lb, horns and live cape 30lbs. Are guys using using a Kelty type for low$. I slept on the a tatuls slope at Stone mountain and the Marmots moved in and chewed my pack all to hell while i was sleeping, they took a few snaps which i never did find. the pack was 2 feet from me .. they can be brave little buggers. I will probably settle for a Cabelas special...cheers

Kody94
07-20-2010, 10:39 AM
I used a plain vanilla Outbound Freighter Frame with Outfitter bag for a LOT of years. I never wore it out either. I still use it for training, or as a spare pack-board in the truck.

whitetailsheds
07-20-2010, 11:56 AM
I took a sheep last year off the Alaska hwy - I bet the pack on the way out was 140lbs or more.

Don't tease us....photos please....

Robert
07-20-2010, 12:20 PM
pictures.. lets see if this works..

pappy
07-20-2010, 12:28 PM
Ha ha ha, I never thought a marmot would do that kind of thing. I use a cabelas pack, its o.k. for now as it does the job. It makes a squeeky sound sometimes when its loaded, I usually only hear it at the start of hiking as my breathing gets louder and louder. lets see the pics of the sheep if you have some.

Buck
07-20-2010, 03:48 PM
I have a Jim Shockey Yukon Externall Pack it is 6500 cube in and built really well.Just put a Kifaru Gunbearer on it as well.You can get that pack well below $350.00 if you know where to look.Just google it.Also I did see it at Wholesalesports in Burlington on Sunday for $250.00

kennyj
07-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I have a beat up freighter frame and moose bag from cabelas. I strap on a badlands 2200 for hunting. Its a little extra weight, but I don't like hunting in the mountains with the external frame. Its noisier and can hang up going down steep rocks.
kenny

Devilbear
07-20-2010, 04:48 PM
What you want is out there and often found on "e-bay". It is the Dana Design Shortbed with a detachable 3/4 bag and external frame. There were a couple of variations on these and the best has a grey outer surface/black inner waistbelt and the grey harness. These were made in the early '90s in Bozeman, Montana and can be quieted with layers of hockey stick tape and then camo tape if you like it.

You should be able to get one in like new shape for around $350.00, I bought three last year, two "Longbed Loadmasters" with NON-detachable full bags and one "Shortbed" for around four bills CDN. I sold one to a really nice guy in Ohio, as it was a tad too small for my quite large chest and shoulders and kept the others, just superb packs, nothing better.

Guys are now looking for these for hunting, so, they are getting scarce and more costly, search the backpacking forums and you should find one....and I will be very surprised if you are not totally happy with it.

If, you are 5-8 and 175 lbs. or more, get a "large" and with minor adjustment, it will fit like a glove. If, you do find one and need help adjusting it, pM me and I can help.