PDA

View Full Version : Bears coming to elk calls

gwillim
07-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Was goofing around after work today, practicing with some mouth reed elk calls I just got. Standing at the edge of an old cutblock, I was just playing around seeing what noises I could come up with. Then I hear something crunching through the brush towards me and I think, ELK!!, and grab my camera. Instead this disappointed looking bear pops out of the trees. I guess he was expecting a calf in distress, instead of a scrawny forest tech with a chunk of latex in his mouth.

A friend of mine here in the Koots has a scarier story about doing the same thing while hunting for elk, and having a grizzly come stalking towards him. Makes me wonder if any of you bear hunters use ungulate calls to bring in the bears?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/rover_bear20100719_10.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19821&size=big&cat=501)

pnbrock
07-19-2010, 07:57 PM
as long as they are little raggers like in the photo im ok with that.

Moose Guide
07-19-2010, 08:25 PM
My cousin was run down by a sow while bugling, quite the story!

BCRiverBoater
07-19-2010, 08:27 PM
We were on the Prophet a few years ago and a buddy let out one quiet cow call and a big boar grizzly came at the 2 of us who were behind our buddy about 15 seconds after the call. He stopped about 30 feet from us and gave us a show.

coquitlam
07-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I have also had black bears come in with a coyote call. I think it was curiosity that brought him in as my coyote call was probably quite sickly sounding

Slinky Pickle
07-19-2010, 08:54 PM
I have also had black bears come in with a coyote call. I think it was curiosity that brought him in as my coyote call was probably quite sickly sounding

Your coyote call probably emulates a "distressed rabbit". So, it's not really a coyote all at all... it's more of a "anything that eats rabbits" call. I had that pointed out to me once and I thought it made a lot of sense.

mark
07-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I too have called in blackies while elk calling! Lots of whities also!

BromBones
07-19-2010, 09:26 PM
I've used predator calls quite a few times to bring in black bears. Works well.

Fun when you call in one you don't want to shoot and have to chase him off!

gwillim
07-19-2010, 09:50 PM
I've used predator calls quite a few times to bring in black bears. Works well.

Fun when you call in one you don't want to shoot and have to chase him off!

This guy wasn't in any hurry to leave, even after he saw me. I think he assumed I had an elk hidden somewhere nearby. He kept wandering back and forth trying to see behind me!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/501/medium/rover_bear20100719_07.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=19827&size=big&cat=501)

moose2
07-19-2010, 10:00 PM
I have called in about a dozen bears half black, half grizz while moose calling. It was to the point where my wife didn't want me to call when we were away from the truck. A few of them were determined there was something to eat it was hard to change there mind.
Mike

Chuck
07-19-2010, 10:22 PM
Daytime's allright, but I have been told that a dying something call used well after dark can sure get the adrenalin flowing. Just to hear something coming through the bush in your direction, and not knowing what in the hey it might be almost gives me the creeps. I've read that Sasquatch will in fact respond. I don't know this for a fact though, as I don't think that there are too many around these parts. Now the Island is a different story. Anybody from Duncan or Port Alberni care to give it a try?

CanuckShooter
07-19-2010, 10:38 PM
Daytime's allright, but I have been told that a dying something call used well after dark can sure get the adrenalin flowing. Just to hear something coming through the bush in your direction, and not knowing what in the hey it might be almost gives me the creeps. I've read that Sasquatch will in fact respond. I don't know this for a fact though, as I don't think that there are too many around these parts. Now the Island is a different story. Anybody from Duncan or Port Alberni care to give it a try?

If your gonna be nuts, use a treestand so you can hear them coming....:mrgreen:

hunter1947
07-20-2010, 04:13 AM
This happens to me more so then I like it and grizzlies are the ones that come to the calls more so then a black bear..

I call in grizzlies more often then I would like and I don't like it http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon13.gif.

Two years ago I called in a sow grizzly bear with two cubs that where 2 years old ,the cubs where at least 200 pounds.

When I call for anything I always keep bears in my mind like I said 1 out of 100 times when calling I call in a grizzly bear when elk hunting..

GoatGuy
07-20-2010, 06:08 AM
They'll come into moose calls as well.

Had wolves and coyotes come in before as well.

Rattling and calling for deer produces the same effect.

BiG Boar
07-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Good to know. Will try to call one in for the wife seeing as we have moose tags.

gwillim
07-20-2010, 06:22 AM
Good to know. Will try to call one in for the wife seeing as we have moose tags.

That's going to look suspicious! Did you just up her insurance coverage?

Does add a bit more excitement to elk hunting I guess. Most of the areas that hold decent elk around here also have healthy grizzly populations.

GoatGuy
07-20-2010, 06:24 AM

Used it to bring bears out of the bush and also to get a bear out of it's bed once. They'll either sneak in or come in full bore and things can get exciting.

Be ready, for some reason it's hard to run and shit at the same time.

Spitzer
07-20-2010, 03:34 PM
I called in a bull moose once elk calling.

Alces Man
07-20-2010, 03:37 PM
I have had several bears, both blacks and grizzlies respond to my moose calls. Always attributed it to lousy calling techniques.

300wsm
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
many blackies come in to my distressed calf moose call. friend of mine called in three elk with his moose call at the adams lake.

300wsm

BlacktailStalker
07-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Have called in numerous grizz...

Ron.C
07-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Over the past 4 elk seasons while using cow/calf elk calls, I've called in 7 black bears "not including cubs" 4 coyote, and one cougar. This spring I called in three bears here on the island with a Primos Pallete plate elk call,all bears I could see from a distance. Two came in very cautiously, one came running, hard. If your playing in bear/cat country with calls, best to assume anything can and eventually will respond and come in for a closer look. The only guarantee is that you can't guarantee how each animal will react once it's in close. I predomenantly hunt alone now and keep my head on a swivel, and hopefully that's where it will stay:wink:

luckynuts
07-20-2010, 06:06 PM
They'll come into moose calls as well.

Had wolves and coyotes come in before as well.

Rattling and calling for deer produces the same effect.

Found out first hand that rattling for whities brings in wolves, Last November after a session of banging tines 3 of the buggers came in. If I was on the ball a little more might have got 2 instead of just the one.

W.

JeremyCarrano302
07-20-2010, 06:16 PM
I bought this primo bear buster too see if it worked and this spring in renfrew I used it and the bear looked at me like I saw a ****** so I was kind of worried that calls don't work
So wen I went up to sayward may long I had a deer talk and I was calling bears, deer and elk with it and bears just stop in there tracks wen they hear a fawn in distress
So I can see that a elk or moose call cud bring them in
I also heard don't know how true this is but grizzlys come running to gun shots cuz they know there's going to be food in that direction

ryanpen
07-20-2010, 07:06 PM
had a couple grizzlies come into elk calls,not uncomman but never trie to hunt a bear with an elk call....might be worth trying on the next grizz draw!

hunter1947
07-21-2010, 03:52 AM
I called in a bull moose once elk calling.

LOL I have done the same a handfull of times thinking it is a bull elk coming in ,when I see it is a moose my hi goes to a low :(..

Fisher-Dude
07-21-2010, 06:02 AM
We've had a few gonch-filling encounters with grizzlies while calling elk. And, I did manage to plunk a nice bull moose that gave away his location by grunting at the elk call.

gwillim
07-21-2010, 07:00 AM
All these posts are making me think a tree stand isn't such a bad idea!

RockyMountainHunter1
07-21-2010, 08:07 AM
we had a pack of wolves 20 yards away coming into our call a few years ago.nose down sniffing the game trail.it was the first bugle of the day and something comes crunching through the trees.we thought we were getting lucky, nope wolves.

northof49
07-21-2010, 09:34 AM
3 G's in 3yrs elk calling. One to within 40yds before I backed outta there to avoid confront; 2nd one the next yr while I had 3 elk bugling around me - he snuk to within 10ft, heard him at 20ft when he snapped a twig, thought an elk was gonna step out instead big g-bear head came around tree at 10ft. Third followed my footprints to within 30yds while I was bugling. Fresh snow melting/dripping off trees so couldn't here to much - bugger came to within 30yds on other side of alder and never new he was there until leaving and saw tracks over mine. Always keep one in pipe when calling.:wink: