PDA

View Full Version : Ethics Dilemma

PointMan
07-19-2010, 12:21 PM
Ok, I'm sure this has come up before, but didn't find it. I have a great hunting spot selected for opening day, LOTS of animal traffic. One problem, it's on a dead end side road of a main logging road. The road is very narrow, anything wider than a Tracker will lose paint driving down this road, trust me. The spot I want to set up is pretty much tight to the road edge, only because the other side of the road is a 150 yard long field that edges a river. Because where I need to set up is so close to the road, I'm worried that I may end up having my game spooked by another hunter driving down the road to check things out. Any suggestions on how I can protect my "honey hole"? If I park my vehicle at the trail head and walk down (about 400 yards) do you think that will be enough of a deterrent? I know the bush belongs to all of us and I respect that, but also I know there are TONNES of other decent hunting spots not so far away. The only reason I'm so stuck on this on is I've already got a lot of time, study and strategy invested in this place.

BiG Boar
07-19-2010, 12:30 PM
I would expect to be intruded on either way. You can't protect a spot unless you buy it. Kinda sucks, but thems the breaks. The more you try to protect it, the more people will want in there. You could put up a sign by your truck pulled off the road saying, road dead ends in 400 m. Target shooting in progress. Or something to that effect.

PointMan
07-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I could leave a bunch of the kids swim toys or something like that at the trail head, the thought of a bunch of kids running around down there might do it! LOL

TPK
07-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Don't worry about it ..many folks (all better hunters than I) have pointed out time and time again that a vehicle doesn't really "spook" the big game. They tend to just fade into the bush and wander out when the vehicle has passed.

pete_k
07-19-2010, 12:42 PM
You might be asking for trouble out there if you block a road.
Chances are a vehicle might scare something up for you while you're sitting there with your rifle.
That'd be sweet.

Steeleco
07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Bigbore is right, most hunters would give you some space and just go to the next spot. If we even see a truck at the side of the road as in your example, we'll move on. On the other hand, we've all read about the type that will get around your obstacle no matter the cost.

Shooter
07-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I usually pull onto the road I am going to hunt/walk in. But I make sure to pull off the road far enough to allow guys to come past if they really want to. Most guys around here are more than likely to move on to the next spot and really thats about all you can do. If the guy reall wants in there its likely because he knows what you know also.

Barracuda
07-19-2010, 12:49 PM
blocking the road on purpose is kinda a classless act. try to pull off so others use the crown land also.
funnily enough i have been hidden away and seen a vehicle come into an area and then move on and animals have appeared shortly after.

PointMan
07-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Bigbore is right, most hunters would give you some space and just go to the next spot. If we even see a truck at the side of the road as in your example, we'll move on. On the other hand, we've all read about the type that will get around your obstacle no matter the cost.

Kinda what I'm thinking, I usually don't bother a road that looks like it's already being hunted, especially by someone on foot, never know where they might be. I think I'm gonna camp out in my van at the head of the road the night before, call me petty or paranoid, but this spot looks GOOOD! LOL

BlacktailStalker
07-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Deer dont care about vehicles. They stay still, wait for the noise to be gone and continue doing their thing.
Dont sweat the traffic, if anything it may push deer to you.

As far as 'loving' that spot, somebody else may have been already 'loving' it so just get there with ample time to set up before light and hunt it. Most guys show up when they should already be settled.

Yeah guys who block the road can expect to be towed.
Theres been a couple times last winter I've seen trucks blocking roads late season, with a couple kms of road in front of them.
If my dogs end up down there you can be damn sure I'm not walking to get them... I've got a couple 30,000lb tow straps and a 1 ton that has no issues movin' ya ;)

PointMan
07-19-2010, 12:53 PM
blocking the road on purpose is kinda a classless act. try to pull off so others use the crown land also.
funnily enough i have been hidden away and seen a vehicle come into an area and then move on and animals have appeared shortly after.
Agreed, I'd never block access to the road I'm more interested in a subtle and courteous deterrent, if that makes sense.

Shooter
07-19-2010, 12:56 PM
Parking off to the side of the road you are on is about as far as I would go however you could try putting a sign up saying " HUNTER IN THE AREA".

CanuckShooter
07-19-2010, 01:02 PM
Blocking a road is a BAD idea....when I encounter it they either get moved or I go around them.

Posting a sign will get 99% of guys to turn around...last year my hunting partner posted signs 'caution - tree stand hunting in progress' at the entrance to logging cuts he was setting up on....he reported that very few passed the sign. A way better idea than blocking a road. imho:-D

budismyhorse
07-19-2010, 01:03 PM
...........no such thing as subtle detterant.....only peaks interest to those that are prowling around.

PointMan
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
I like the sign idea, might just have to try that, like I said, I have NO intention of blocking any road, ever.

Ron.C
07-19-2010, 01:09 PM
First, what would you do if you go there opening day only to find someone else has been scouting it and has staked a claim, so to speak. This is exactly what happened the the area I elk hunted for several years. We had found an easily accessable area that held lots of elk/deer and was a bow hunters paradise. A couple years back, others had also found the spot and when I arrived, had set up treestand in the area we hunted for several seasons. It sucked, but a simple case of first come first serve.
I don't think this is an ethics dilemma as much as it is a common courtesay. No one owns crown land and I think most guys recognize a lone truck parked on an overgrown road at first light as another hunters vehicle, and in most cases will leave if the area is small in size. But I have had run ins with guys that think they can block access to 100's of acres and call it their own. Sure, if you know a guys has a stand set up, give him the same space you would expect to be given, but no one has the right to block access. Someone above said posting a sign. A good idea in my opinion.
Another option is look for a more secluded spot that most guys are not willing to work that hard to get into, and in my experience, you'll find yourself hunting with no one bothering you.

budismyhorse
07-19-2010, 02:00 PM
if you don't plan on blocking the road.......why is there an ethics delemma?

One of my best "go to" spots for elk is a couple km hike off a road. I worked my arse off cutting that trail and I've never.....ever parked near the trailhead.......that is how people get interested in a spot.

If you have info on the area that otherwise looks like any other spot.....my suggestion is park anywhere but near the spot and avoid being seen on the road, footprints and all.

As soon as hunters see footprints leading off the road......attention is/should be paid and that place gets ear-marked.

and its more fun to be sneaky ;)

huntcoop
07-19-2010, 02:12 PM
...Any suggestions on how I can protect my "honey hole".......... I know the bush belongs to all of us and I respect that......

Not "your" honey hole and you've answered your own question :cry: .

thecoug
07-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Agreed, I'd never block access to the road I'm more interested in a subtle and courteous deterrent, if that makes sense.

Not at all unlike an 18 yr old boy... You ARE NOT LIKELY the first one to find the honeyhole.. You might think you are, but perception is everything.. Once the guns start booming on opening day, the dynamic changes considerably.

Posting signs and such is just unfreakin believeable!!!!!! Oh well.. Good luck with your quest.. Hope you get what you are seeking out there.. :wink::wink:

barry1974w
07-19-2010, 02:39 PM
I would expect to be intruded on either way. You can't protect a spot unless you buy it. Kinda sucks, but thems the breaks. The more you try to protect it, the more people will want in there. You could put up a sign by your truck pulled off the road saying, road dead ends in 400 m. Target shooting in progress. Or something to that effect.

Buying it doesn't protect it either. Trust me.

07-19-2010, 02:49 PM
There is no ethics dilemma here...... Cut down a few trees accross the road. Done!

Just kidding. In no way should you block the road. You are puting your truck in danger by doing that. And like it has been said, if there are as many deer around as you suggest the traffic wont affect them.

PointMan
07-19-2010, 02:58 PM
In all likely hood you guys are right, as I said earlier, this is a pretty narrow road, so I don't expect a lot of vehicle traffic on it. So who knows, maybe I'm worried about nothing. Worse comes to worse, the trail the deer seem so be using extends further along the river, maybe it'll open to another spot decent for a stand or hideout with a decent range of fire.

Moose Guide
07-19-2010, 03:33 PM
blocking a forest service road is illegal!!! a neighbour of mine got a warning from the boys in blue, and the fine is quite large!

PointMan
07-19-2010, 03:39 PM
blocking a forest service road is illegal!!! a neighbour of mine got a warning from the boys in blue, and the fine is quite large!
Like I said, I'd NEVER block a road, service road or not. This isn't a service road though, not sure what it's used for, maybe for gathering free range cattle that might be watering at the river? Not sure, doesn't seem to get much use, but does get some.

Spokerider
07-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Find a plan B area........you may find that you`ll be needing it.......

ruger#1
07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Like I said, I'd NEVER block a road, service road or not. This isn't a service road though, not sure what it's used for, maybe for gathering free range cattle that might be watering at the river? Not sure, doesn't seem to get much use, but does get some.Non the less, If there is a fire past the road then the vehical will be moved at your expense. So the fire crews can get in and fight it.

camelsfoot
07-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Doesn't seem like you have a problem with ethics , just a dilemma on where to park. Myself I would park near the area I was hunting , so others hunters might use more caution if discharging their firearm.

Moose Guide
07-19-2010, 05:37 PM
Like I said, I'd NEVER block a road, service road or not. This isn't a service road though, not sure what it's used for, maybe for gathering free range cattle that might be watering at the river? Not sure, doesn't seem to get much use, but does get some.

I didn't mean to accuse, was just passing on info!

kennyj
07-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Get your wife, parents, and or a couple of friends to park at the beginning of the road with your vehicle. Make it look like there's lots of people in there already. Works great.
kenny

blackwater moose
07-19-2010, 06:34 PM

i put out a sign on my truck that says " hunter in the area ". the good guys will respect that and the others .......

northof49
07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Not a good idea to block a public access road, but also not a good idea to F with someones truck....they might just be more of a redneck than you are or a little bit unstable!

300wsm
07-19-2010, 06:54 PM
if you "have a lot of time, thought and strategy" put in to this spot that has easy access and a lot of game and is right by a main logging road i suggest you put some time in on how to hunt it when every yahoo drunken truck hunter is putting the bc pin stripes on there trucks down that narrow little honey hole trail of yours.

JMHO

on a side note:
two years ago on an alberta moose hunt an exterior hung wall tent was set up on the only quad trail to a beautiful river that we like. we were pissed and i wanted to go right through but my hunter host thought better of it. we went around which was over an hour detour. when they pulled up camp two days later we went down that trail. wouldn't you know it these guys must have owned the property because they apparently had the right to leave all of there garbage all over that trail. not just a little bit either. anyway same weeken same hunters blocking the same trail.

exterior framed wall tents are quite fragile if you accidently bump the wrong spot(s). so i hear anyway. maybe we will see them this year. definately won't be going around.

ruger#1
07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
if you "have a lot of time, thought and strategy" put in to this spot that has easy access and a lot of game and is right by a main logging road i suggest you put some time in on how to hunt it when every yahoo drunken truck hunter is putting the bc pin stripes on there trucks down that narrow little honey hole trail of yours.

JMHO

on a side note:
two years ago on an alberta moose hunt an exterior hung wall tent was set up on the only quad trail to a beautiful river that we like. we were pissed and i wanted to go right through but my hunter host thought better of it. we went around which was over an hour detour. when they pulled up camp two days later we went down that trail. wouldn't you know it these guys must have owned the property because they apparently had the right to leave all of there garbage all over that trail. not just a little bit either. anyway same weeken same hunters blocking the same trail.

exterior framed wall tents are quite fragile if you accidently bump the wrong spot(s). so i hear anyway. maybe we will see them this year. definately won't be going around. A bottle of skunk scent accidently spilled at the door way seems to work also. It is sure hard to get that smell out of canvas. But I wouldn't know anything about that.

Jelvis
07-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Lead, follow, or get outta dah way lol

dana
07-19-2010, 07:19 PM
If it is indeed only a brushed in spur, park right in the middle. No one is going to care, except perhaps the non-locals that think that brushed in road might actually lead to somewhere. :rolleyes: It is common courtesy though to park in such a manner that if someone comes up the road they have room enough to turn around in front of you. Nothing worse than backing up through thick alder for a few hundred metres trying to find a turnaround spot.

I have been blocked by guys parked in the middle of FSR's and that is nothing but annoying to say the least. Especially because most of the time I'm working not playing like them. Hunters need to be aware they ain't the only ones in the bush in the fall. Plenty of people trying to go to work or get home from work. You park in a manner to block them because you are somehow protecting a 'honey hole' and you will probably find your vehicle will be moved whether it was locked or not.

Jelvis
07-19-2010, 07:24 PM
Sounds like mel lish shish damage to me ho o. Some one wood do dat?

Barracuda
07-19-2010, 07:40 PM
even in local areas i will run up and down the road on my mc to get to where i am going or to explore .

It seems that far to many hunters try to claim an area by putting up signs or blocking access. (last year one area i was in was loaded with tourist hunters that were really competitive that i would say cross the line )

If a person puts up a sign as a public announcment then thats one thing but if they have an expectation of exclusive hunting by blocking, bullying or signage that discourages others then they are questionable in my books.

Crown land is public land.

the other one i always like is if my hounds are on an animal and that animal runs through an area another hunter is they sometimes have a shit fit.
They act like i have less right to be there then them .

Thats one of the reasons i am not fond of running the dogs in deer season as there is gonna be some single digit IQ POS that that thinks its fine to shoot a dog.

PointMan
07-20-2010, 12:54 PM
I didn't mean to accuse, was just passing on info!

No harm, no foul. I didn't take it as an accusation, I just wanted to be clear to everyone that I would never block a road, of ANY kind.

Jelvis
07-20-2010, 01:12 PM
If a local hunts there, you ain't going to scare em one bit, no matter how you park.
He or she will walk right by you and not say a word trying to be quiet, but you would probably start to talk and loud at that, so they would go around you then to avoid you til they were past .. then you'd be last.
Jel .. Hey, hey out of the way and be quiet shhh .. that sort of thing .. not very friendly but not harmful ..

GoatGuy
07-20-2010, 01:57 PM
Ok, I'm sure this has come up before, but didn't find it. I have a great hunting spot selected for opening day, LOTS of animal traffic. One problem, it's on a dead end side road of a main logging road. The road is very narrow, anything wider than a Tracker will lose paint driving down this road, trust me. The spot I want to set up is pretty much tight to the road edge, only because the other side of the road is a 150 yard long field that edges a river. Because where I need to set up is so close to the road, I'm worried that I may end up having my game spooked by another hunter driving down the road to check things out. Any suggestions on how I can protect my "honey hole"? If I park my vehicle at the trail head and walk down (about 400 yards) do you think that will be enough of a deterrent? I know the bush belongs to all of us and I respect that, but also I know there are TONNES of other decent hunting spots not so far away. The only reason I'm so stuck on this on is I've already got a lot of time, study and strategy invested in this place.

To be honest I'd find a new spot if I didn't want to see another hunter.

If it's 'that nice' there will be other people with the same idea as you hunting it.

Glassman
07-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Thats one of the reasons i am not fond of running the dogs in deer season as there is gonna be some single digit IQ POS that that thinks its fine to shoot a dog.

Barracuda
07-20-2010, 04:56 PM
my dogs do not have to be on a leash when hunting many species.

One must never forget that only a CO or other such person can destroy a dog that has been deemed to be harrassing wildlife .

how do you know the dogs are not chaseing a track through your area etc.

Deer and predators go hand in hand.

ryanb
07-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Don't EVER EVER block a road. Remember logging roads were definately not built for hunters. No hunter has any right to block those that might be trying to use the road for their livelyhood, let alone any other hunter that has just as much right as anyone else to be there.

whitetail2009
07-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Open your hood, pour some tranny fluid on the ground , beside your truck. Leave a note saying, saying (gone to get tow truck)lol

Jelvis
07-20-2010, 09:50 PM
What if (someone) let, ... all the air (out of your tires) ... when you were at the other end of the partially blocked road?
Jel .. that would be scary eh? I wood freak out and start yelling .. you creep. why? Why? Now what I only got one spare, man that is lame ... I'd throw a few things around then start hiking out .. upset ..

PointMan
07-20-2010, 10:37 PM
What if (someone) let, ... all the air (out of your tires) ... when you were at the other end of the partially blocked road?
Jel .. that would be scary eh? I wood freak out and start yelling .. you creep. why? Why? Now what I only got one spare, man that is lame ... I'd throw a few things around then start hiking out .. upset ..

Dude, you DO leave some interesting comments! LOL

Bowzone_Mikey
07-20-2010, 11:50 PM
onboard air is a wonderfull thing

The Hermit
07-21-2010, 07:22 AM
I once parked immediately behind someone that was blocking a road, got out and went for a nice long walk! The guy was sitting in his truck when I got back and he was some pissed. I explained that I was really pissed to find the road blocked and that rather then yank his truck off the road with my winch, slash his tires, or break his glass, I just went for a walk to cool off! He got the point...

northof49
07-21-2010, 10:04 AM
"it's on a dead end side road"
"The road is very narrow, anything wider than a Tracker will lose paint driving down this road". "...walk down (about 400 yards)"

If the road dead ends at the field you are talking about and doesn't carry on to other potential hunting areas and it is brushed, just park off to side at front. No need to block it as most hunters will do the right thing and move on to another spot. As others have said get there first and you shouldn't have a problem as they will know you are walking from there. If the road continues on several km's before it dead ends, not much you can do, just gotta take your chances. I say give it a go. If you start posting signs IMO it will just draw more attention to the area. If traffic becomes a problem go to different area the next day. Should always have backup areas in case someone else is there first. If you start camping out at the fork will also draw more attention - just get there first. Might want to post directions here to make sure nobody goes there on opening day.:mrgreen:

ratherbefishin
07-21-2010, 10:44 AM
funny-a lot of guys have ''end of the road'' syndrom-and drive by all kinds of good hunting spots just to park at the end of the road.

But I have a nice little spot where I camp off the side on a dead end spur that only goes about 400 yards further-its interesting to see how other guys react-some come into the camp,chat and say they will leave it to us-others go right on by in their quads and don't stop.Some stop and when I tell them the road dead ends in 400 yards, and my boys are set up down there they say they will go on down and see for themselves.....But its not my land and I kinda like to treat other guys they way I'd like to be treated myself-with courtecy

mijinkal
07-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I hang TP or surveyors flagging across the road if I'm going to be hunting the area where the road ends. Sometimes people turn around, sometimes they don't. Your best bet is to hike into the bushes away from the road. That's where I see the most critters anyways.

Jelvis
07-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Put a bumper sticker on your back bumper for the season ..
.. You toucha my Car I toucha your Face ..
jelly- I see you lol .. but you don't see me ..

hunter1947
07-22-2010, 03:00 AM
I will put one on that will say ,,,,,There Is Nothing In This Truck Worth Steeling To Lose Your Life Over....

LongBomber
07-24-2010, 07:51 AM
I see hunters blocking the road all the time. What many don't realize is that there are many people working in the bush. It's not just hunters out there come hunting season. If you cost someone their days wages they will be pretty po'd. Many forest workers are paid production rates, if you don't get to the area today, you don't get paid. Just because it's a road to nowhere doesn't mean that I will not be there to design a road off the end of if, or to setup a cutblock along it. You may think you are in the middle of nowhere, but that is someone else's office.

I have drug many vehicles out of the way, and if you are going to cost a 5 man crew $200-300 each I would not expect a kind response. Times are tough and inconsiderate people make it tougher.

hardnocks
07-24-2010, 08:24 AM
If its an unused brushed in road that ends in 400 yards like he discribed just park in the middle . Theirs thousands of old unmaintained logging roads that go nowhere around vernon .

Ron.C
07-24-2010, 09:09 AM
I once parked immediately behind someone that was blocking a road, got out and went for a nice long walk! The guy was sitting in his truck when I got back and he was some pissed. I explained that I was really pissed to find the road blocked and that rather then yank his truck off the road with my winch, slash his tires, or break his glass, I just went for a walk to cool off! He got the point...

Well played Hermit:wink:

In the end it all comes down to courtesy for others and some common sense. Unfortunately, there are plenty of hunters/hikers and other backcountry users out there that don't possess either. And a lonesome backcountry road is the wrong place to get into it with some idiot(s) that may not be playing with a full deck.

northof49
07-24-2010, 09:46 AM
Nobody has the right to F with someone else property without asking unless an emergency. Always good to avoid blocking roads due to potential emerg situations and out of courtesy, but if it isn't an emergency keep your hands off. I'd be right pissed if someone dragged my truck out of the way to drive an extra 400m in a brushed in road and you sure better be ready for some sort of retaliation.

peashooter
07-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Nobody has the right to F with someone else property without asking unless an emergency. Always good to avoid blocking roads due to potential emerg situations and out of courtesy, but if it isn't an emergency keep your hands off. I'd be right pissed if someone dragged my truck out of the way to drive an extra 400m in a brushed in road and you sure better be ready for some sort of retaliation.

i cant believe i just read this. besides how an i supposed to know the road ends in 400 yards. ever heard of something called public land. i live in a cul de sac can i park at its entrance to convenience me and tell anyone else who wishes to go the extra 400 feet, tough $^&*. give your head a shake. another internet tough guy. hahaha

northof49
07-24-2010, 10:44 AM
i cant believe i just read this. besides how an i supposed to know the road ends in 400 yards. ever heard of something called public land. i live in a cul de sac can i park at its entrance to convenience me and tell anyone else who wishes to go the extra 400 feet, tough $^&*. give your head a shake. another internet tough guy. hahaha
Big difference between a active culdesac and a brushed in road. duh. If someone is there already, move on. If you really need to see what's down there that bad, get out and walk. Common sense and safety would suggest not walking into an area where others are already hunting and common sense and safety would also suggest not F'ing with someones truck. those who do this are the same people that tangle your downriggers, or have no problem standing shoulder to shoulder in a fishing hole on a river with miles of shoreline. Plenty of room out there for everyone. If a guy needs to see what's down there so bad that they gotta move/damage someones truck maybe they should stay in their culdesac :wink:

peashooter
07-24-2010, 10:47 AM
sorry buddy but i got every right to drive to the very end of every public road i feel like. you and your truck have no right to decide otherwise. common sense and safety would tell you not to make up my mind about what road i can drive on.

Barracuda
07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
i have to say especially after last season that some hunters can be the most selfish competitive deceitfull self entitled people i have come across.

the tactics employed by many of them would never Fly in civilization yet stick them in the woods and many Morph into dog eat dog unsavoury characters (almost as bad as competitive fishermen)

at the end of the day it is crown land and you dont really have a right to claim an area .

northof49
07-24-2010, 11:37 AM
sorry buddy but i got every right to drive to the very end of every public road i feel like. you and your truck have no right to decide otherwise. common sense and safety would tell you not to make up my mind about what road i can drive on.

As I said above "Always good to avoid blocking roads due to potential emerg situations and out of courtesy". So it won't be me blocking your way. Worked/hunted the bush all my life with no problems. All i'm saying is noone has the right to start yanking on some guys truck or do damage to it.

peashooter
07-24-2010, 12:03 PM
I think your retaliation mentality you spoke of earlier is just the reason why trucks get moved and f'ed with. If someone feels wronged by not being able to go down a road he retaliates.

ratherbefishin
07-24-2010, 12:27 PM
there's all kinds of things that annoy me-like getting up early and walking in before daylight ,only to have some idiot burn by me on a dirt bike or quad ,then the guy comes back and tells me there isn't any game down that road anyway-may as well turn around and go home-that first light advantage has gone.So what do you do?This is the only advantage of hunting deactivated road area's where you walk in,tends to keep the riffraff out.But unless you own it you can't keep anyone else out.We ought to feel lucky we aren't in some of the high useage area's in the states where there's a hunter every 1/4 mile.

northof49
07-24-2010, 12:30 PM
I think your retaliation mentality you spoke of earlier is just the reason why trucks get moved and f'ed with. If someone feels wronged by not being able to go down a road he retaliates.
IMO it is normal to retaliate to someone damaging/mucking with your property; it's not normal to have the need to damage/muck with someones property b/c you are pissed off with them being in your way on public land. Suppose someone is standing on crown land fishing. Is it acceptable to go push them off the rock they are standing on b/c you want to fish in that same spot or get to the next rock? As much as it might be tempting:wink: would not be acceptable and would probably result in retaliation. Normal etiquette would require asking to get by, or waiting till he is done or he catches a fish and moves aside. Seems fair as he was there first. I don't condone blocking roads and yes it has happened to me many times, all I'm saying is if you encounter this situation you have no right to mess with personal property unless it is an emergency.

peashooter
07-24-2010, 12:50 PM
yeah thats the same. i would grab a guy and drag him from his ground blind. sheesh.

okanagan hiker
07-24-2010, 04:15 PM
IMO it is normal to retaliate to someone damaging/mucking with your property; it's not normal to have the need to damage/muck with someones property b/c you are pissed off with them being in your way on public land. Suppose someone is standing on crown land fishing. Is it acceptable to go push them off the rock they are standing on b/c you want to fish in that same spot or get to the next rock? As much as it might be tempting:wink: would not be acceptable and would probably result in retaliation. Normal etiquette would require asking to get by, or waiting till he is done or he catches a fish and moves aside. Seems fair as he was there first. I don't condone blocking roads and yes it has happened to me many times, all I'm saying is if you encounter this situation you have no right to mess with personal property unless it is an emergency.

I completely agree. T0 me it seems very simple...

- don't block access to Crown land ( what a jerk move )
- if someone has, don't mess with his vehicle ( what if it broke down there, or ran out of gas, etc? )
- have a plan B ( and a plan C ) of where else you can go
- this is all supposed to be fun / enjoyable... why get stressed out?

OKH

buck nash
07-24-2010, 05:58 PM
And a lonesome backcountry road is the wrong place to get into it with some idiot(s) that may not be playing with a full deck.

And may or may not have a gun, which is likley if he's hunting.

eaglesnester
07-24-2010, 06:07 PM
A bushed in road with TP strun across? Go somewhere else for you own safety. Duhh" there are hunters in there with loaded high power rifles, with the posible potential to be shooting in any direction at game. Rounds pass tlhrough game, and hunters miss. Going further into a free fire zone without the shooters knowledge that you are there could prove deadly for you. There are nimrods who are issued PALs that will shoot at anything even the slightest noise or bush rustling, they never head the term, " be sure of your target". Use your head and think a little bit instead of getting pissed off about a little TP strung across a bushed in road to warn you that hunting is in progress in THAT DIRECTION. I would appreciate being told somebody is back in there hunting already. It's big country I can hunt elsewhere. Now blocking a road in use is another kettle of fish entirely, that would piss me off.

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

ratherbefishin
07-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Theres more than one way to deal with this -I once watched a savy hunter take very nice 3 point blacktail by setting up well above a heavily hunted spot-he just sat and waited for the road hunters to push a nice buck up hill to him...they never saw a thing...

hardnocks
07-25-2010, 07:30 AM
I can`t beleave some guys are getting all bent out of shape about blocking an old grown in road that go`s 400 yards . Blocking a road that might go somewhere is a different thing alltogether .

07-27-2010, 09:13 AM
I could leave a bunch of the kids swim toys or something like that at the trail head, the thought of a bunch of kids running around down there might do it! LOL

Love it. no way I'm goin down there

mijinkal
07-27-2010, 10:26 AM
I can`t beleave some guys are getting all bent out of shape about blocking an old grown in road that go`s 400 yards . Blocking a road that might go somewhere is a different thing alltogether .

That's exactly why you don't block the road. Even though it's only 400 yards, and their truck probably won't fit down the trail without some pinstriping added, some guys will always get really pissed off and may mess with your truck. Not worth the risk in my opinion.