PDA

View Full Version : Sheep shape - final tune ups

BCrams
07-19-2010, 07:47 AM
So for all of you headed out .... are you ready and sheep shape?

Only 12 days until the eve of the Stone's sheep opener and I can already feel the mountain breeze from high places!!

After a fantastic winter of skiing to keep in sheep shape with over 650 km logged and much more with great hikes since spring.

My final tune up has just been completed with heavy pack load the last two days with no glitches. 40 km of rugged hiking the last 2 days (16km Sat and 24km Sunday) with 30 lb weight Saturday and 80 lbs pack weight on Sunday.

One more leisure hike of 22 km later this week will wrap it up for the sheep hunt (which will likely be a photo safari as usual).

Of course though, distances travelled when hunting are shorter and the eyes cover more ground than the feet do! Unless moving from one mountain to the next or across big valleys and up different drainages.

Remember - its all about the hunt and not necessarily about killing something....but of course.....who wouldn't want to see a grand ram sky lined or weaving in and out of the buckbrush at the bottom of a basin. :-D

Be safe.

Be positive.

Persevere and if the going gets tough ... sleep it off for a day instead of quitting.

14 days in the mountains!! Can't wait!!

kootenayslam
07-19-2010, 07:57 AM
2 more hikes for me, 12 km tonight and one thursday, should be it....next one will be game time.

bighornbob
07-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Just bought a large bag of Dill Pickle Spitz and am going to grease all the swivel points on my window mount for my spotter, then I will be good to go for this coming sheep hunt.:-D

BHB

ytlogger
07-19-2010, 08:19 AM
Just bought a large bag of Dill Pickle Spitz and am going to grease all the swivel points on my window mount for my spotter, then I will be good to go for this coming sheep hunt.:-D

BHB

Don't want to start a controversy, but what's the best grease for a window mount?

bigwhiteys
07-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Don't want to start a controversy, but what's the best grease for a window mount?
The drippings from your McDonalds burger... Road hunters need to be resourceful.

Carl

Caveman
07-19-2010, 08:54 AM
The drippings from your McDonalds burger... Road hunters need to be resourceful.

Carl

Double Quarter Pounders ooze the best! :wink:

Caveman
07-19-2010, 08:55 AM

BHB

BHB, I prefer the seasoned!!

BCrams
07-19-2010, 09:28 AM

BHB

Now thats a style of hunting I might need a mentor for :mrgreen:

bighornbob
07-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Now thats a style of hunting I might need a mentor for :mrgreen:

I heard you may be down here??

BHB

bighornbob
07-19-2010, 09:35 AM

Carl

Never hunted around here before have you.

The McDonalds is just power food to get you by while getting to your hunting destination.

Every die-hard Spences sheep hunter knows the best grease for window mounts comes from the bottom of the take out container of the Chinese restaurant on the Highway next to the campground in Lytton.:mrgreen:

BHB

Kody94
07-19-2010, 09:50 AM

BHB

Dill pickle? yuch! Seasoned is the way to go.

Carl

Nothing compares to Kentucky Fried Chicken drippings. Mmmmmm...

sako_300
07-19-2010, 10:33 AM
this thread went sideways in a hurry.

For me it's loading up the pack on a nightly basis - different weights/routes each night to keep the dexterity up... Hit the weights a few times a week; lots of squats and full body movements. You don't need big bi's for sheep hunting...

I'll be laying of next Tuesday and switching to stretching only before it is game.

Already having the can't sleep syndromes - maybe cause I'm going after the white ones this year...

All the best to everyone and remember being out there is privilege in itself.

jml11
07-19-2010, 10:52 AM
this thread went sideways in a hurry.

For me it's loading up the pack on a nightly basis - different weights/routes each night to keep the dexterity up... Hit the weights a few times a week; lots of squats and full body movements. You don't need big bi's for sheep hunting...

I'll be laying of next Tuesday and switching to stretching only before it is game.

Already having the can't sleep syndromes - maybe cause I'm going after the white ones this year...

All the best to everyone and remember being out there is privilege in itself.

I think I am gonna go with the sits-on-the-couch-watching-sheep-hunting-vids routine...hate to blow a knee or pull a muscle this close to the main event :wink:.

SHACK
07-19-2010, 11:03 AM
Yup, Im staying limber, but not pushing anything this close. Better to take it slow and get there in good working order, than hurry and be a wreck! Besides, Im not your usual ship shape sheep hunter.....more like your slow'n'steady pack mule, a little stubborn, I will bite, and I usualy will get the job done on my own time!
Just spent the last hour going through my gear for the hundreth time! One more trip to the rifle range with my new custom and Im good to go! Counting down the days!!!

sako_300
07-19-2010, 11:05 AM
I think I am gonna go with the sits-on-the-couch-watching-sheep-hunting-vids routine...hate to blow a knee or pull a muscle this close to the main event :wink:.

Your packing the tent and fuel...

sako_300
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Yup, Im staying limber, but not pushing anything this close. Better to take it slow and get there in good working order, than hurry and be a wreck! Besides, Im not your usual ship shape sheep hunter.....more like your slow'n'steady pack mule, a little stubborn, I will bite, and I usualy will get the job done on my own time!
Just spent the last hour going through my gear for the hundreth time! One more trip to the rifle range with my new custom and Im good to go! Counting down the days!!!

what are you shooting?

SHACK
07-19-2010, 11:21 AM
sako, here ya go http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52930

Fisher-Dude
07-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Carl

Double Quarter Pounders ooze the best! :wink:

Never hunted around here before have you.

The McDonalds is just power food to get you by while getting to your hunting destination.

Every die-hard Spences sheep hunter knows the best grease for window mounts comes from the bottom of the take out container of the Chinese restaurant on the Highway next to the campground in Lytton.:mrgreen:

BHB

Nothing compares to Kentucky Fried Chicken drippings. Mmmmmm...

Rookies. Duh! It's Timbit grease! This IS Canada, after all! McDs, KFC, and Chinese are not native greases to Canada, and could jam your window mount in -20 weather.

I see that I'm going to have to offer another training session, soon, before you guys end up in a cluster f while road hunting. My work is never done.

Caveman
07-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Rookies. Duh! It's Timbit grease! This IS Canada, after all! McDs, KFC, and Chinese are not native greases to Canada, and could jam your window mount in -20 weather.

I see that I'm going to have to offer another training session, soon, before you guys end up in a cluster f while road hunting. My work is never done.

You can get away with it for sheep because it's early but you're probably right later in the year you may want to use local stuff. Good thing you're around FD

huntcoop
07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I was just lured into the doors of the "golden arches" and that grease will definately NOT work on a window mount. It did however work quite well to unclog my porcelain, the bonus being no TP was required, all just slid on through :mrgreen: .

ytlogger
07-19-2010, 01:33 PM
OK so same grease as steering wheel/column then.

jml11
07-19-2010, 01:53 PM
I was just lured into the doors of the "golden arches" and that grease will definately NOT work on a window mount. It did however work quite well to unclog my porcelain, the bonus being no TP was required, all just slid on through :mrgreen: .

Too...

Much...

Info....:sad:

budismyhorse
07-19-2010, 02:02 PM
wow, not the thread I thought this was......

huntcoop
07-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Too...

Much...

Info....:sad:

Never ASSUME, 'member what your mom told you :wink: .

BromBones
07-19-2010, 06:50 PM
I'll be hiking in 17 km, then striking out in the hills from there. Been doing some good hikes (20km +) over the last couple weeks with 40-50 lbs. Couple more runs up the small mountain behind the house this week and I'll call it good. Dog is set to go as well, packing 13-15 lbs with no issues.

Good luck to the rest of you!

GoatGuy
07-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Started cutting back for sheep shape as well.

Only drank 2 beers last night, actually it was 3, and am limiting weekend consumption to less than 6 beers per 8 hour period - long weekends and Saturdays excluded of course. Thought about light beer but figured I already had enough on my plate - you don't want to over do it.

paw325
07-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Wow, I'm looking at all these major mileages you guys put on while training for sheep hunting and figure your gonna be wore out before you get to the sheep mountain.

I do core work (pushups, crunches etc) daily, all year. No concentrated running or jogging (I don't consider chasing the odd steer on foot concentrated), I want to have some knees and hips left to hunt with when I'm 60. At the ranch I have a hill that is 1,000ft vertical over 2.5km, its typical Kamloops with steep rocky slopes, treed draws and flat meaows. I start hiking this about once a week, a month before season, the last week before I'm going, I do it 3 or 4 times with my pack loaded with the gear and grub/water I will actually be taking including rifle, binos, spotting scope etc. If anything is going to be screwy I can get it sorted out in time.

If I get new boots, I get them in December and wear them for everyday use, coyote hunting etc. If there is going to be a problem, I've got time to buy new ones and still get them broke in before sheep time.

ytlogger
07-20-2010, 08:54 AM
Backpack hunting is hunting with some backpacking. The best way to get ready for backpacking is...

bigwhiteys
07-20-2010, 09:21 AM
There is no disputing that being in shape will benefit you on a sheep hunt, but you don't need to be pulling an iron man everyday to make it happen. If you're covering large amounts of ground on a hunt you're also walkin' by a lot of sheep.

Most guys will be just fine climbing a few mountains and hiking some miles with just their general fitness (if you have a physical job for example)

If you do it right, there is plenty of time to rest while you GLASS and during the midday lull you NAP.

Carl

duckhunt
07-20-2010, 09:24 AM
BHB, I prefer the seasoned!!

if your going to eat spits eat the salted ones there is a lot of msg in the seasoned.

people should be in sheep shape for any hunting. Bike ride to the gym, workout half an hour to 45 minutes because you don't want to overdo it, then ride your bike back home. Cut out pop, beer :icon_frow, and high salt content foods (salted spitz) :wink: . biggest thing to remember when working is to push yourself but don't overdo it.

BCrams
07-20-2010, 10:45 AM
There is no disputing that being in shape will benefit you on a sheep hunt, but you don't need to be pulling an iron man everyday to make it happen. If you're covering large amounts of ground on a hunt you're also walkin' by a lot of sheep.

Most guys will be just fine climbing a few mountains and hiking some miles with just their general fitness (if you have a physical job for example)

If you do it right, there is plenty of time to rest while you GLASS and during the midday lull you NAP.

He's correct, you don't need to pull an ironman to hunt sheep!!! Especially if you're hunting easier (yet still rugged) areas (i.e., Stone Mountain / Toad River / Muncho Lake) or other areas. Yet there are many areas that do require fitness to reach and to hunt.

Is it beneficial to be in good shape? It is, and in particular if the one or two mountains you are hunting do not have rams or you do not find what you're looking for and you need to move ..... those with just enough energy / fitness for those couple mountains might not have what it takes to make that extra push to a ram mountain and be able to haul all that sheep back out should they shoot one.

As for passing large numbers of sheep. I'll dispute this and it also depends where you go. Rams only inhabit a very very very small percentage of the mountain landbase in which they live. You can easily climb 3 mountains and hunt them slowly and diligently as Carl mentions for a month straight and never see a ram because they just aren't there and perhaps the only time rams are there are during the spring months or only in October vs August. There's a lot of country that hold rams for a short period of time and others that will harbour them all fall and other areas that have rams show up at intervals throughout the season. A sheep hunter might be wishing he was in better shape to hike to another mountain in search of rams if it turns out the one he's on has nothing or perhaps you finally spot rams on day 9 but way back on another mountain ... and you only sit and stare knowing you might make it there but not bacl out with a full load.

Just as prospective sheep hunters do not need to be ironman shape, they also do not need the top of line equipment 'everest quality so to speak' to hunt sheep and you can do it on gear very effectively and comfortable with gear at a third of the cost.

ytlogger
07-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Pop is poison. Beer is food. Moderate it , don't cut it out.

Kody94
07-20-2010, 10:51 AM
He's correct, you don't need to pull an ironman to hunt sheep!!! Especially if you're hunting easier (yet still rugged) areas (i.e., Stone Mountain / Toad River / Muncho Lake) or other areas. Yet there are many areas that do require fitness to reach and to hunt.

Is it beneficial to be in good shape? It is, and in particular if the one or two mountains you are hunting do not have rams or you do not find what you're looking for and you need to move ..... those with just enough energy / fitness for those couple mountains might not have what it takes to make that extra push to a ram mountain and be able to haul all that sheep back out should they shoot one.

As for passing large numbers of sheep. I'll dispute this and it also depends where you go. Rams only inhabit a very very very small percentage of the mountain landbase in which they live. You can easily climb 3 mountains and hunt them slowly and diligently as Carl mentions for a month straight and never see a ram because they just aren't there and perhaps the only time rams are there are during the spring months or only in October vs August. There's a lot of country that hold rams for a short period of time and others that will harbour them all fall and other areas that have rams show up at intervals throughout the season. A sheep hunter might be wishing he was in better shape to hike to another mountain in search of rams if it turns out the one he's on has nothing or perhaps you finally spot rams on day 9 but way back on another mountain ... and you only sit and stare knowing you might make it there but not bacl out with a full load.

Just as prospective sheep hunters do not need to be ironman shape, they also do not need the top of line equipment 'everest quality so to speak' to hunt sheep and you can do it on gear very effectively and comfortable with gear at a third of the cost.

You don't need to be in GREAT shape, but it sure does make a big difference. I've done trips in various degrees of fitness, and it's orders of magnitude more enjoyable to be in the best shape you can be in. No-one wants to look at that ram on the skyline with three hours left in the day and wonder if you can get up there and pull off a stalk in time....you want to just go.

But its better to go in marginal shape than not at all, and just work with whatever fitness you have....even if it means having a couple recoup days out of a week, or planning your stalk for the next day (hopefully) because you just can't get there before dark.

bigwhiteys
07-20-2010, 11:12 AM
As for passing large numbers of sheep. I'll dispute this and it also depends where you go. Rams only inhabit a very very very small percentage of the mountain landbase in which they live. You can easily climb 3 mountains and hunt them slowly and diligently as Carl mentions for a month straight and never see a ram because they just aren't there.

The comment was based on knowing where rams may likely be to start with... If you know where the rams are, there is little need to cover 10+km in any given day aside from initially getting into your area. For fitness level aim somewhere between Fat Couch Slob and Amateur Athlete and most guys should be just fine.

Heck No! you can outfit yourself 100% at wal-mart and the sallyann if you want. I've got more pictures of guys with rams with nothing more than blue jeans, button up cowboy shirts and rubber moccassins then all the fancy shit I have :)

Carl

budismyhorse
07-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Ironman shape? no, but it can help........I know a fella who jumped in with a crew of strangers that needed a fourth for a flight trip. He hiked his arse off and was in unreal shape compared to the others. He whacked a beauty ram while the others were too bagged to climb the mountians day after day like he did.

I also know older hunters who wait out rams in likely country and fill tags quite regularily while other younger sheep hunters are killing themselves chasing sheep all day long and coming home empty.......

Be in the best shape you can be given your personal situation and keep your mind sharp, the rest will work itself out.

BCrams
07-20-2010, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE]The comment was based on knowing where rams may likely be to start with... If you know where the rams are, there is little need to cover 10+km in any given day aside from initially getting into your area (and between areas) ... For fitness level aim somewhere between Fat Couch Slob and Amateur Athlete and most guys should be just fine.

Thats right. There are certainly areas anyone going slow and steady to reach a certain ram mountain to hunt will kill a ram!! The bold highlights that point why some folks like to be in shape.

Heck No! you can outfit yourself 100% at wal-mart and the sallyann if you want. I've got more pictures of guys with rams with nothing more than blue jeans, button up cowboy shirts and rubber moccassins then all the fancy shit I have :)

Standard equipment back in the day and some continue to do it today despite a great selection! Hits home the point regarding equipment and what can and will provide comfort in the mountains.

Jelvis
07-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Sheep shape lol in Kamloops sheep you could be obese and kill a huge ram.
equipment .. thrift store running shoe or a pair of gumboots.
optics try a 5 dollar pair of ithaca 6 power from Value Village
Kamloops a pair of old blue jeans and a t-shirts all you'll need for clothes
Pack sack what's that?
Need a rope to drag it to your truck
Jel Kamloops sheep shape lol .. any shape you got, have a double cheeseburger for training. lol and a 2 4
Final tune up? Party at Cactus Jacks with a gorgeous blond all night the day before the hunt ..

daycort
07-20-2010, 01:46 PM

my favorite time of the day.

paw325
07-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Sheep shape lol in Kamloops sheep you could be obese and kill a huge ram.
equipment .. thrift store running shoe or a pair of gumboots.
optics try a 5 dollar pair of ithaca 6 power from Value Village
Kamloops a pair of old blue jeans and a t-shirts all you'll need for clothes
Pack sack what's that?
Need a rope to drag it to your truck
Jel Kamloops sheep shape lol .. any shape you got, have a double cheeseburger for training. lol and a 2 4
Final tune up? Party at Cactus Jacks with a gorgeous blond all night the day before the hunt ..

I know I'm new here but.......... WTF

whitetailsheds
07-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Carl

Gotta be said...it is one of the memorable and enjoyable part of these trips for me.
After hiking hard for a morning, or if the weather has been playing havoc and the sun finally comes out, to be able to stretch out, boots/socks off, find the right combination of moss, grass, and rocks in the warm sun on top of a ridge or hill overlooking lots of real estate...that is the Shangri-La!

Kody94
07-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Gotta be said...it is one of the memorable and enjoyable part of these trips for me.
After hiking hard for a morning, or if the weather has been playing havoc and the sun finally comes out, to be able to stretch out, boots/socks off, find the right combination of moss, grass, and rocks in the warm sun on top of a ridge or hill overlooking lots of real estate...that is the Shangri-La!

Even drifting off to the sound of light rain tap-tap-tapping on your sil-tarp while you wait out a little squall is pretty hard to beat.

kennyj
07-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Sounds like you're as ready as you are going to be. Are you going after white again?
Good luck out there!
kenny

BCrams
07-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Sounds like you're as ready as you are going to be. Are you going after white again?
Good luck out there!
kenny

Stone's this time around. Fun whether or not a ram goes down.

To add to favorite times on a hunt ...... when the sun sets and another day comes to a conclusion while glassing for last light rams.

steepNdeep
07-20-2010, 08:04 PM
After a fantastic winter of skiing to keep in sheep shape with over 650 km logged and much more with great hikes since spring.

My final tune up has just been completed with heavy pack load the last two days with no glitches. 40 km of rugged hiking the last 2 days (16km Sat and 24km Sunday) with 30 lb weight Saturday and 80 lbs pack weight on Sunday.

Damn!! You train harder than any other photographer that I know! :biggrin: :wink:

I look forward to the slide show...

Stone Sheep Steve
07-23-2010, 09:38 PM
I drank light beer while drifting down the river stuffing my face with cheezies. 5 full days of that is not for an amateur.
Did manage to squeeze in one two-hour hike with a full pack.

I don't think I need to be in as good shape this yr as I have been in the past. Apparently my partner is in good enough shape to do all the packing!:-D
Sounds like he won't even notice the 6 pack that I'll be sneaking into his pack:wink:.

SSS

Fisher-Dude
07-23-2010, 10:55 PM
I drank light beer while drifting down the river stuffing my face with cheezies. 5 full days of that is not for an amateur.
Did manage to squeeze in one two-hour hike with a full pack.

I don't think I need to be in as good shape this yr as I have been in the past. Apparently my partner is in good enough shape to do all the packing!:-D
Sounds like he won't even notice the 6 pack that I'll be sneaking into his pack:wink:.

SSS

You can just drive around in the truck while BCR hikes his ass off. You never bother to shoot anything anyways, so why hike all over hell's half acre? :)

I'll be getting in shape during August. Rotate the tires, change the oil in the quad, check the trailer bearings, and seal up the newest leaks in my old camper. Should be in elk shape by the opener! :wink:

Jelvis
07-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Put your total body photo on for once and we will judge your shape lol .. omg lol..forget that thought lol.
JP I dint think so lol .. road hunting shape lol ..

BromBones
07-24-2010, 08:13 AM

Guy I know from PG was tellin me about the time he took a buddy on a goat hunt, before they hiked up he snuck a couple beers into the guys pack. They got to the top and buddy was gassed out, guy says to him -

"You look a little dehydrated. You want a beer?"

"?? You dumb SOB, you packed beer up here?"

''No, you did"

:mrgreen:

troutseeker
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
I envy you guys that are going! It's been three months since the new ACL was put in my right knee and there will be no hiking with hevy pack for a few more months...

Mind you I took all of August 2011 off to go hunt sheep!

Caribou_lou
07-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Looks like you guys are good to go. I wonder how many Rams are shot on the first day of the season?

Myself, I have been Joggin every morning for the past couple weeks. My lungs are ready for the torture and I stay active year round so my legs are always good to go. But yesterday I was jogging and injured my foot somehow, might go in for x rays tonight if it doesn't feel any better. Hope it's nothing too serious. We have had this trip planned since last year. Extra strength Advil and deep cold. Hope it heals in time!!

hitch
07-27-2010, 09:39 AM
Leavin thurs. am.

Stay in shape year round, so not much extra training however I did have to break in the new Meindl's. Goin with my old man...could be one of his last sheep trips. He gets first shot on anything we are interested in.:wink:

Good Luck everybody!

jml11
07-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Starting to think I've packed too much clothes...calling for highs in the mid to high twenties for the opener in many of the sheep haunts...Muncho Lake high is 28 for Saturday...hopefully she's a bit cooler up high!

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Starting to think I've packed too much clothes...calling for highs in the mid to high twenties for the opener in many of the sheep haunts...Muncho Lake high is 28 for Saturday...hopefully she's a bit cooler up high!

ya but you know the mountains it doesn't go by the weather forecast...:wink:

Stone Sheep Steve
07-27-2010, 10:18 AM

I ditched my insulated jacket. Last timeI did that I froze but that was two weeks later:?.

SSS

jml11
07-27-2010, 10:27 AM
ya but you know the mountains it doesn't go by the weather forecast...:wink:

Yeah for sure it doesn't...plus where I am going there are no weather stations nearby so I can't really get an accurate forecast...just pack status quo and take what comes! Just might mean a layer or two stays in the bag...

sako_300
07-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Yeah for sure it doesn't...plus where I am going there are no weather stations nearby so I can't really get an accurate forecast...just pack status quo and take what comes! Just might mean a layer or two stays in the bag...

I think most sheep hunters have been snowed on in August...

jml11
07-27-2010, 11:58 AM

What...??? That's it, I'm not going now...

Fisher-Dude
07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I ditched my insulated jacket. Last timeI did that I froze but that was two weeks later:?.

SSS

BCR told me he's had enough of your wanting to cuddle when you're cold. You better pack the jacket.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-27-2010, 12:24 PM

last year it was dam close to snow then turned to sun and plus 22 all with in 6hrs... i will pack some warm stuff just in case:wink:

jml11
07-27-2010, 12:25 PM
BCR told me he's had enough of your wanting to cuddle when you're cold. You better pack the jacket.

That's not what he told me...

BCrams
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
That's not what he told me...

So full of it :-D

Well ..... we're off in the morning!!

For all others also headed out .... have a great hunt and be safe.

srupp
07-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Good luck to all..straight shooting and hope to see some crankers posted in the next 2- 3 weeks..

Be safe and have a "blast"..:wink:

cheers

Steven

Stone Sheep Steve
07-27-2010, 08:02 PM
I've been eating and drinking like an SOB the last week or so. No need coming home looking like a P.O.W. like the last few hunts with Rams:wink:.

Be safe everyone!

SSS

srupp
07-27-2010, 08:08 PM
hmmm stone sheep Steve..the "refugee"..lol

just go and shoot a HUGE RAM..then get it in a taxedermied..so I can come look at a ram ..while still waiting...lol..

Good luck and let Greg carry the case of beer..oh ya it tastes better in bottles...oh darn they are heavier...

Steven

Casagrande
07-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Leavin thurs. am.

Stay in shape year round, so not much extra training however I did have to break in the new Meindl's. Goin with my old man...could be one of his last sheep trips. He gets first shot on anything we are interested in.:wink:

Good Luck everybody!
Pardon me? I seem to recall you saying, after we had consumed half a dozen beers each, something like "I've been drinking my face off lately".:mrgreen:

Deaddog
07-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Good luck Greg and Brent....look forward to you sending me the coordinates of your hunt again this year....LOL!!!! Jim

Kody94
07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
..while still waiting...lol..

Steven

I waited 24 months for a 45.5" ram to come home.....I am sure you'll survive. :)

Kody94
07-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Well ..... we're off in the morning!!

For all others also headed out .... have a great hunt and be safe.

Good luck!!

Stone Sheep Steve
07-28-2010, 10:25 AM
All I know is that I'm turning 43 this yr. I won't even mention that old thread.:wink:

Don't forget to cut your toenails!

Hitting the road in 1/2hr.

Jim-We removed the weak "SPOT" in our communication system:mrgreen:.

SSS

Tlineman
07-29-2010, 05:52 PM
Don't forget to condition your back muscles too. The best way to do this is with a loaded pack on. There's more too this then just good cardio and strong legs. If your backs not in shape, neither are you for the mountains.:smile:

BCbillies
07-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Don't forget to condition your back muscles too. The best way to do this is with a loaded pack on. There's more too this then just good cardio and strong legs. If your backs not in shape, neither are you for the mountains.:smile:

IMHO there is no subsitute for a pack and climbing mountains. I've been running for the last 6 weeks mainly up the mountain and today I put the pack on with 65 lbs and did some vertical . . . feels great . . . just getting ready for the sheep opener . . . in 2011! :wink:

Should come in handy for some billy goat hunting come this fall. :-D

luckynuts
07-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Man I'm bushed just finished 3 beers watching TV after a big Lasagna supper walked into the den to hop on here had to catch my breath after logging in. Glad I harvested my ram last week on the side of the hwy while all the tourist were taking pictures of it:mrgreen: Should tape out around 40" LOL

To all you fanatics, Good luck, hunt hard and come home in one pc. I won't be following the crowd up this year, as the focus is on a goat draw in Sept. can't wait for pics and stories.

W.

averagejoe
07-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I am doing pretty good lost 70 pounds in the last 6 months

BCbillies
07-29-2010, 08:41 PM
I am doing pretty good lost 70 pounds in the last 6 months

Now that's impressive . . . you must be on a mission? Going for sheep?

Jelvis
07-29-2010, 08:41 PM
70 pounds wow, way to go averagejoe, that's way better than average around here ..
jel .. now I want you to keep it off, it's a lifestyle Joe again way to go bro

averagejoe
07-29-2010, 09:00 PM
Yep weighed in at 360 after Christmas and around 290 right now thanks to no pop low carb diet Mtn biking jogging and hiking still got another 40 pounds to go

BromBones
07-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Headed out tomorrow, maybe dodge out of work a couple hours early.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Casagrande
07-29-2010, 09:14 PM
The only way to train for big days is to accumulate big days. No matter what I do to prepare for the ski mountaineering season, nothing gets you ready for big days like going on big days. The rest just gives you a base to ease the sufferfest.:twisted:

lightmag
07-31-2010, 02:51 PM
i'm in pretty good shape year round as i have weight lifted for 16 years, play hockey twice a week all winter, do 2.5km walks often with the family and run occasionally. That being said i have just started getting in shape for my grizz draw that goes along with my buddy's goat draw for mcbride, pretty sure we will be going up high!

started hiking today, just a moderate 8km with a 10 lbs pack in 30degree heat:tongue: hot hot hot, thought my lab was going to give up lol...

heavier pack and longer distances each hike every 3-4 days with weight training and interval training in between. sitting at 6' 1" 220lbs now, fairly lean, hoping to get to around 212-215 and in top endurance shape. I will also be doing lunges with 95lbs for long endurance sets to get the legs ready to take steps up hill repeated with a heavy pack!!

bring on the alpine gizz and goats!!!

frenchbar
07-31-2010, 03:09 PM
im in the worst shape of my life:( hopefully my knee comes around and heals completely .

rollingrock
08-16-2010, 07:50 PM
I don't believe running 5 miles every day is good for your body, especially your knees. But running 2 miles in heat or cold can cope your body with different weather conditions...like I did just now. :D

Ooops, just realized sheep season has already opened.

Jelvis
08-16-2010, 07:52 PM
That's my problem too, I train so much for hunting I have no time to hunt much .. it's an oxy ..... moron
Jel .. I just called you a moron lol ..

rollingrock
08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Jelly, you know sometimes one has no choice but being a moron...LOL