PDA

View Full Version : Marshall out retrieving

Marc
07-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Had Marshall down to the bay yesterday for some exercise and practising up with the video camera for the fall migration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7gceT365Fg

Marc
07-18-2010, 09:10 PM
Last fall he was hunting short on the water retrieves so I've been stretching them out a bit every time we head out to the bay. It just happened that last night the tide was coming in so I tossed the bumper in the current, made him stay walked over to the side and made sure the bumper was out there 100 yards before I sent him to retrieve. He's getting better every time we go out for the long water retrieves. The water is so warm right now he could retrieve all day long if you let him. This was just two of about a dozen he did last night.

He doesn't mind a bit of air but he hates getting water in his ears. :mrgreen:

Sasquatch
07-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Nice vid Marc. That dog has become a retrieving machine.

Great entry.

hlram
07-19-2010, 06:51 AM
Wow! brings back memories when I use to have my Lab retrieve in the Fraser river. I'd wait for the tug boats to go bay and have him retrieve with big waves.

Sasquatch
07-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Wow! brings back memories when I use to have my Lab retrieve in the Fraser river. I'd wait for the tug boats to go bay and have him retrieve with big waves.

I like to let mine retrieve in the boat waves also. Was a little concerned at first, but he floats like a cork.

Gotta watch for the seals in the Fraser though...those suckers have big teeth

Chuck
07-19-2010, 10:02 AM
I was definitely going to comment about the distance, then I read your 2nd. That's pretty impressive imo. Looks like he's on his way to become a serious retriever for sure. Well done!

Marc
07-19-2010, 04:55 PM
Hard to believe he didn't start to swim until he was 7 1/2 months old. I'm quite pleased with how he's turning out. He also doesn't usually drop real birds, he hangs on to them until I ask for them.

hlram
07-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Marc what happens when you and a partner shoot 2 birds, dose he drop it then? I use to do double land retrieves then in water.
Sasquatch: 20 years ago there wasn't many seals in the Fraser, But I know what you mean as I've seen the big teeth when they steal salmon behind the boat fishing!

Marc
07-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Marc what happens when you and a partner shoot 2 birds, dose he drop it then? I use to do double land retrieves then in water.
Sasquatch: 20 years ago there wasn't many seals in the Fraser, But I know what you mean as I've seen the big teeth when they steal salmon behind the boat fishing!

He takes some encouraging to bring the first bird in especially if there are more then one cripple, but he does deliver to hand then I cast him off for the next one. If they're stone dead when they hit the ground he usually goes for the last one first.

He's not perfect by any means but he loses very few birds in the run of a season. As hard as we hunted him last fall, with sometimes up to 5 shooters we might have lost 2 maybe 3 birds all season. It sure wasn't from a lack of trying to find them either. There are places even a dog wont go through.

hlram
07-19-2010, 07:18 PM
Sounds great! I know the feeling of your best friend retreiving for you, like a high without doing anything!
Looking for a another lab right now as we speak.

Marc
07-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Marshall is one dedicated water retriever, when I got home this afternoon I caught him practising for the next time we head out to the bay. Tell me he's not a water dog.:mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EpkoiEEMpc

spear
07-21-2010, 10:59 PM
Awesome looking dog, we had a good chuckle watching him in the pool. Must be a lot of fun hunting with a great partner, maybe there is a shotgun and chessie in my future