PDA

View Full Version : 3-41 Hows it look for Moose, Mule or White Tail

Super Matt
07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
This is my first post as a new member to HBC. My name is Matt I'm 26 and have been out of the hunting scene for years. Now that I'm married and have my first child on the way (March ish) I need to make this season a good one cause it could be my only good one for a few more years to come. That being said, I drew a moose tag for 3-41 and being a moose, mule and WT virgin I wanted to ask anyone out there who may know this area where to start. Thanks.

Matt

Jelvis
07-17-2010, 04:31 PM
Just above Avola on hwy 5 to the right(east) Finn Creek
Or across the river by McMurphy up the Otter Creek fsr up Otter Creek
Jel .. One for the money two for the show .. git up and go! Super spots

Super Matt
07-17-2010, 04:55 PM
I really appreciate the info Jelvis. Thanks.

Glassman
07-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Yup, Jelo fellow is right. Good for moose and muleys and not too many hunters there. Make sure your 4x4 works good. Never did see a whitey though.

Super Matt
07-18-2010, 01:40 PM
So your sayin its gonna be a little rough going to access these places, how far roughly off the main drag do you think I'll be able to get in tho the bush? My buddy and I will have a camper on the back of his Dodge, the truck is 4x4 but if we're gonna be tippin It could be an uncomfortable sleep.

Jelvis
07-18-2010, 01:43 PM
Hwy 24 is paved and the back roads mostly good.

Super Matt
07-18-2010, 01:50 PM
That sounds good, I would hate to flop a truck before any animals are on the ground.

Jelvis
07-18-2010, 01:59 PM
MU 3-41 up Finn or Otter creek is regular backroads if you got a camper big deal use it and have fun, snow in November sometimes late October but as usual drive to a nice pull over place on the fsr and take in the fresh mountain air, look at it as a hunting holiday and a place to discover for animals.
Jel .. your fairly close to the Yellowhead number 5.

Super Matt
07-18-2010, 02:14 PM
I can't wait, this is the kinda stuff I'm loosing sleep over wondering what it's gonna look like up there. You think it would be about the child on the way, but thats just another excuse to get him/her out in the bush to enjoy the best place on earth.

Jelvis
07-18-2010, 04:10 PM
You got that right Pontiac! Google it, topo it, learn it, live it, love it.
.. driving up Finn Creek from hwy 5 above Avola BC to the right (east) up Finn Creek fsr.
.. lots of salmon in that creek too .. Finn Creek fins all over .. and bears
.. try this spot first and you could repeat it if it gets lucky for you.
.. drive up to the Camp Creek FSR .. then park for an hour or two for lunch.
.. go out from there different ways til you see something.
Jel .. from Hwy 5 east up Finn Creek fsr to Camp Creek FSR, just over 6 km in, from HWY 5, start to slow down, and see a camp spot. Your in the middle of 3-41. In the middle of a moose hunters dream.

Super Matt
07-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I cant thank you enough for the info, I know when to shut up and listen so................................................ ........and I will be postin some pics with the biggest sh@#! eatin grin after the hunt I'm sure of it.

Jelvis
07-18-2010, 09:26 PM
It's all about planning, dreaming, and the valid leh or a spike/fork.
I know guys from Kamloops that love that Finn Creek fsr.
Drive in and see for yourself, the road go in and when it go up in elevation onto some flats that's where the moose iz. lol.
Have you looked at the elevations for on the way in? Going up.
The topo lines? The water ways, lakes etc. What km from hwy 5?
Do your homework and go for a drive pre-scout hwy all the way up, then a drive into Finn.
Jel .. take you a few hours from the lower mainland/fraservalley. That's nothing a few hours up, and a few hours back and a day in between for scouting and measuring km's lol..find a spot to set camper.
Then Scamper

Super Matt
07-19-2010, 03:25 PM
I'm on the Island, but have eight days planned it should be enough time to figure the area out, I hope. I'm not to sure where to find topo maps for the area, online maybe?

mac
09-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi Matt, I'd highly recommend that you get thompson backroads map book. It has a very detailed map of that particular area. On each page you'll have a latitude/longitude grid along the page edges. Get your gps out, and with a ruller or a square, criss cross the approximate lattitude and approx longitude on that map and the intersection will pin point exactly which road you're on. You'll be surprised how accurate this method is. Even a car gps will show you lat and long regardless whether it has a map of that area or not. This will be your best 24 bucks you've spent.

mac
09-05-2012, 03:27 PM
ha i just noticed this is from 2010! My bad!

Wackman
09-05-2012, 07:05 PM
ha i just noticed this is from 2010! My bad!

Hahaha, now you tell me...:-)
Good information on here though

Grousedaddy
09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
He didnt post ne success pics must not have connected

Jelvis
09-05-2012, 08:13 PM
This MU 3-41 covers quite an area by the North Thompson river with run off drainage creeks and that means animals.
Moose, deer, and bear, birds and more. Find water and willow, aspens, and marsh grass, = moose and deer