PDA

View Full Version : canvas tents/Army surplus tents

daywalker
07-17-2010, 02:10 PM
Does anyone know what the thread count or stiching mean for a canvas tent. What is a good count what is not so good. Also does anyone know or have experience with an army surplus tent. Are they any good or are they pretty much same as a canvas tent. Just looking for something that can survive some pretty harsh elements and wondering if there is a difference between the two and what would the differences be. And also what to look for in a quality wall tent. I have heard lots of good things about Deluxe but right know My budget is tight.

Thanks For any advice

Tuffcity
07-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Thread count and stitching are two different things. thread count usually refers to the the number of threads per square inch (I think it's per inch) that are woven together. Stitching is usually how many stitches per inch there are- of more importance are the numbers of seams stitched. Look for side by side stitching of at least 2 rows ( 3 is better). Canvas is measured in ounces per yard, 8 oz per yard is not bad but 10 oz per yard is better for a heavy duty tent.

RC

daywalker
07-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the info anyone know or have experience with an army surplus tent (wall tent style)

alberta hunter
07-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I have a military tent I can sell you with liner for winter use.
Let me know if you are interested.