PDA

View Full Version : Sask Mule Deer Zone 1??

Stone Sheep Steve
07-17-2010, 01:29 PM
A buddy just moved back to Sask 2 yrs ago after moving away when he was 15. He got drawn for mulies this yr in Zone 1 and is looking for a little help since he's swamped with work and in the middle of moving his house(it's stuck in the mud!:shock:). Since he has no computer for a while he asked me to help him out.

Just wondering if any of you former(or current) Sask residents would mind passing a few starter points my way so I can pass on to him? He's not afraid of doing a lot of leg work when the time comes.

Thanks!

SSS

mark
07-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Just read some stuff from gary donald in the recent big buck mag, he says the mulie pop out there is the worst he's ever seen, nothing compared to what it was.
Apparently they are handing out way to many tags to reduce the CWD thing and its nearly wiped out the muleys????

Gunner
07-17-2010, 08:57 PM
They've been culling mulies in the CWD zones for several years and have killed thousands.It doesn't help the CWD situation at all (it arrived with infected elk delivered to elk farms from Colorado),but it makes it look like they are doing something.It is a disaster for the deer. Gunner

257Wby
08-21-2010, 01:52 PM
zone 1 is a big rugged peice of the province. its not any were close to the CDW zone. your buddy has a great chance at taking a monster deer if he is lucky. never hunted there but a buddy has a few times, it looks like awsome country.

Stone Sheep Steve
08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
zone 1 is a big rugged peice of the province. its not any were close to the CDW zone. your buddy has a great chance at taking a monster deer if he is lucky. never hunted there but a buddy has a few times, it looks like awsome country.

That what I was hoping to hear! Being a former BC resident and sheephunter he's willing to outwork all the other Sask residents. Last couple of yrs he's been packing out some nice whities when no one else would even consider doing that.

Thanks
SSS

skhunter
08-21-2010, 07:59 PM
I like to hunt the big brush coulies there. If he gets out there early in the AM when its still dark i set up on the hills and glass and try pick one out to go after. Most times i let them bed and put the sneak on them. Most people think the south is flat but there is enough terrain that you can usually put a good sneak on them. i like bow hunting and most times if you work it you can get in pretty tight.
The area around wood mountain is pretty good. also rockglen area. Lots of good places really.
Sorry for the bad photos, disposable camera
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/saskhunter/trentnontypicalmuley.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d132/saskhunter/typicalmuledeer3.jpg

killman
08-21-2010, 09:11 PM
nice......

Stone Sheep Steve
08-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Wicked bucks skhunter...especially that top one!!

Thanks for the info. I'll pass it along.

SSS

Hotshoe
09-20-2010, 11:05 AM
[quote=Stone Sheep Steve;729800]That what I was hoping to hear! Being a former BC resident and sheephunter he's willing to outwork all the other Sask residents. Last couple of yrs he's been packing out some nice whities when no one else would even consider doing that.

There's that wonderful B.C. elitist attitude everyone east of the Rockies loves so dear! There are a few SK residents that know how to hike and work hard, heck a few of them have even gone sheep hunting before.:-D

If your buddy does like to cover some ground on foot he will do well in zone 1 as long as he can judge well. Hunt them down there like you would a sheep and a 200" buck should be well with in reach. If he hunts for a full week he would most certainly lay his eyes on more than one 200".

Zone 1 has never had a cwd cull, the population is stable, should see 50 to 150 deer a day.

Mik
09-20-2010, 12:10 PM
I have been working here in Regina for the past little while,
(havent hunted) but there is a great website like ours, you might want to post something on there.

www.menoutdoors.com (http://www.menoutdoors.com)

mike

Stone Sheep Steve
09-20-2010, 12:25 PM
Just talked to him the other day and he said he's going to wrap up work early this yr to free up the entire rifle season. Should get a nice buck if he can hit one:wink:.

He wanted me to pass along a "thank-you" for the info!:)

SSS

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, just got off the phone with my buddy and his was pretty pumped to say the least! He was tied up with work until now but finally made it over to Zone 1....and connected with a DANDY! He said it has everything....including ~22 points(his head was spinning from the excitement):-D.

Will try to get permission to post some pics when they arrive.

SSS

mark
11-04-2010, 07:56 PM
22 points???? total I take it??? Wow, good for Jan, cant wait for the pics!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-04-2010, 08:05 PM
22 points???? total I take it??? Wow, good for Jan, cant wait for the pics!

Yes total. Some other guys staying @ the same hotel figure 220-230" range...but we shall see. Either way he's happy!

SSS

BCrams
11-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Hot news!! Thats awsome Jan put down a Saskatchewan monster!!! Regardless of the score, its sure to be a nice buck!!

Can't wait to see the pics.

Stone Sheep Steve
11-06-2010, 03:45 AM
Field pics didn't turn out to great since they had to spend some time trying to find him in the thick stuff and were a little rushed with the impending darkness.
Once again he has told me to pass on a big "Thank-You" to those who offered some info since he would have never hunted as far south as he did without the info.
Had his whole family with him at the time...which paid-off since he talked to a farmer to find out what was going on around there (who usually doesn't let anyone hunt his land). The farmer thought it was great that he brought the whole famlily and gave him permission to hunt his land. They were just driving the coulees the first evening trying to get a feel for the property when the big boy and his does made an appearance.:)

I'm not sure what it is with Jann but the big bucks seem to find him.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_2310.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20989)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_2309.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20988)
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/IMG_2308.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=20987)

SSS

bowhunterbruce
11-06-2010, 04:20 AM
awsome looking buck there steve and wait to go keeping us all posted as to his success.i'm sure everyone here would agree when i say give him a huge "wait to go and congrats on a beautiful non typical"
bruce

Kody94
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM
That's a dandy buck for sure! Congrats to your bud!

Rattler
11-06-2010, 08:42 PM
Good grief that is a big buck! Thanks for sharing Brent...

mark
11-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Jan finally got his dream mulie! Should look good next to his boone whitey!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Jan finally got his dream mulie! Should look good next to his boone whitey!

He seems to miss all those booner whities:wink:. Got a couple gooders but no booners.....but by the looks of his trailcam pics it's just a matter of a couple of yrs.

SSS

luckynuts
11-09-2010, 05:30 PM
Beauty Mulie Congrats Jan!!! Hope to be seeing him in Big Buck real soon:mrgreen:

W.

Hunt Hunt Hunt (Triple H)
11-09-2010, 06:28 PM
I miss you BC Hunting guys and your Stones! Thanks for all the positive feedback on my lucky mulie buck, getting geared up for Whitetail next week, really excited about that.

cainer
11-09-2010, 10:11 PM
That is a giant Mulie-nice work.. see ya out there for whitetail season!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-10-2010, 04:47 AM
I miss you BC Hunting guys and your Stones! Thanks for all the positive feedback on my lucky mulie buck, getting geared up for Whitetail next week, really excited about that.

Welcome to HBC, Jann!!
Glad the move had worked out well for you:)...........and looking forward to seeing some more trailcam pics and a big whitey in your hands sometime soon!

SSS

calvin L
11-10-2010, 10:23 AM
Congrats buddy on the pig deer . . I hope you have room at the house next year for 2 maybe 3 if it is not leh :wink: for white tail

Hunt Hunt Hunt (Triple H)
11-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Congrats buddy on the pig deer . . I hope you have room at the house next year for 2 maybe 3 if it is not leh :wink: for white tail

Thanks ya I'm hoping you guys will come out. I have a guest house.

mark
11-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Thanks ya I'm hoping you guys will come out. I have a guest house.

Youll have to bait us with some big t-cam pics!!! :-D

Twobucks
11-11-2010, 12:44 AM
Hunted WT in Zone 2 a few times - beautiful country. I only wish I could get a go at mulies too - they grow some real crankers!

Great deer!

Stone Sheep Steve
11-11-2010, 04:59 AM
Youll have to bait us with some big t-cam pics!!! :-D

I'll forward some to you, Mark:).

SSS

BCrams
11-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Congrats on a great mule deer buck!! That is a hell of a buck Jan!