PDA

View Full Version : Last-minute sheep advice?

07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
I'll be going out for Stone's sheep in 2 weeks...can't wait! Just wondering if any generous sheep hunting gurus have any advice for a sheep hunting newbie?? Thanks!

moose2
07-17-2010, 01:30 PM
You should find what your looking for here
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=50330&highlight=sheep+hunting+tips

Stone Sheep Steve
07-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Be 100% sure he's legal before pulling the pin. Probably best to stick to shooting a ram based on curl until you get some more experience under your belt.
Hunt hard right through to the end of your hunt. Don't bail early.

Good luck!

SSS

srupp
07-17-2010, 02:18 PM
mental toughness..

steven

Ambush
07-17-2010, 02:52 PM
You may be hunting for ten days, but it may all come down to a few quick minutes. Things can happen fast, so never let your guard down. Enjoy the scenery, but stay focused.
A good number of hunters come trudging over a hill, with their head down, and blow an easy ram right out of the country. It's always good to see rams, but it's great to see them first.

Spend more time laying behind your scope than on your feet. Especially early and late.

Prepare your pack for the next day before turning in. Grab it in the morning and go. Eat breakfast later, when you're at a good glassing spot. You shouldn't be watching the sun come up from the tent.

Hunt hard and enjoy the privileges of being a resident in the most beautiful place on earth!!

Fisher-Dude
07-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Drive around in yer truck 'til one runs across the road, then plunk 'im.

sako_300
07-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Good one... :rolleyes:

Find water and set up camp nearby. I've been on sheep hunts where it is tough to find and you end up burning 1/2 your gas melting snow = sheep trip cut short.

With this year being so dry it will be an issue.

killman
07-17-2010, 09:05 PM
You may be hunting for ten days, but it may all come down to a few quick minutes. Things can happen fast, so never let your guard down. Enjoy the scenery, but stay focused.
A good number of hunters come trudging over a hill, with their head down, and blow an easy ram right out of the country. It's always good to see rams, but it's great to see them first.

Spend more time laying behind your scope than on your feet. Especially early and late.

Prepare your pack for the next day before turning in. Grab it in the morning and go. Eat breakfast later, when you're at a good glassing spot. You shouldn't be watching the sun come up from the tent.

Hunt hard and enjoy the privileges of being a resident in the most beautiful place on earth!!

You are the man! You always give such great advise. I really wish I was up to one of these hunts. Especially to accompany someone one like you.

boxhitch
07-17-2010, 09:55 PM
Don't look for a sheep
Look for part of a sheep

The absolute easiest spot to catch sight of something moving is the on the skyline
therefore
Do not walk the open ridges
Do not skyline your self
Keep scanning the skyline all around, especially if it is only 50 yards ahead

come trudging over a hill, with their head down, Just as common is the hunter grunting uphill, staring at his boots, through drops of sweat, fussing over which toe-trip he will take next, thinking of a Big Mac, wishing he had packed more water, wishing water vapour could cure a thirst, trying to ignore that hot spot in his sock, thinking his heart is about to time-out, asking Santa for a lighter rifle........
all the time missing the scenery and the escaping white butts

paw325
07-19-2010, 03:38 PM
I'll be going out for Stone's sheep in 2 weeks...can't wait! Just wondering if any generous sheep hunting gurus have any advice for a sheep hunting newbie?? Thanks!

Get some serious range time in with the rifle and load you are going to kill said sheep with. Seen a lot of guys miss because they started second guessing their rifle.

Oh ya and practice off your pack and in windy conditions.

ThinAir
07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Keep an eye for the white patches on the rump, and down the leg.

When they get up to stretch or feed.....it's a dead give away.

A guy can glass a basin for hours and all of a sudden....

I've glassed up many rams in the evening looking specifcally for "mule deer" like rumps.

Oh ya....and never want a sheep so bad you take chances. Make sure he's legal. Have fun!

ytlogger
07-19-2010, 06:24 PM
"Most elementary is that it is exceedingly helpful to know where ram country is." Jack O'Connor

bridger
07-20-2010, 12:22 AM
i speak from experience and can tell you not to expect rams on every mtn or ridge top. there are lots of mountains and not enough rams to go around. do not get discouraged if you don't find rams immediately if you are in good ram country keep a positive mental attitude and no matter how bad your legs hurt or how much your lungs are burning climb that next ridge and you will eventually find rams. If sheep hunting was easy everyone would go, not just the dedicated. Have a great time and good luck

BCbillies
07-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Treat every sheep hunt as if it's your last . . . savour the moment! Mental and physical preparation cannot be overstated.