PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather gear

Buck
07-17-2010, 11:27 AM
We have a Bison Draw in Dec and i need some cold weather clothing.What do you Northern guys wear for extreme weather hunting gear.

BimmerBob
07-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I think they wear buffalo hides :mrgreen::wink:

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-17-2010, 12:29 PM
in the cold i ware carhartt extreme coveralls

CanuckShooter
07-17-2010, 01:34 PM
long underwear? pack boots, wool socks, face mask, down parka, insulated pants [ or spend money and go one piece-better yet], gortex shells help keep the cold wind out...a dickie or turtle neck to keep the wind off your neck[no scarf-you can hang yourself] a toque.. when it's real cold use mits and hand warmers......

MikeH
07-17-2010, 01:44 PM
check out a Army surplus store for a Arctic parka and get a pair of sorel boots.

killman
07-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Layers! Lots of them.

gmcgilli66
07-21-2010, 02:33 PM
The layering principle always works. Are you hunting active (hiking), stalking or Static (Sitting or in a blind) If static, a heavier one piece might do. If you are active or stalking, you need layers to adjust your temp/moisture. Above all, you need to stay dry to stay out of hypothermic trouble.
Read up a bit on hypothermia and the advice offered to stay dry.
Check out the bowhunter's style gear for some ideas.
Good hunting! A bison is a massive prize!

Tanya
07-22-2010, 06:12 AM
If you are going in on a machine gear up to block the wind and cold using layers. Shed a big heavy outer layer once you are on foot. Pack boots that are waterproof for crossing those creeks that are somewhat frozen, but also something you can walk in.
Cabela's Stand Hunter Extreme Parka - a great outer layer, then under it a windbreaker, fleece, wicking long underwear. Worked at -40.

Any of the guys that are from up in that region I'm sure will have good and/or economic ideas that will help you.
Don't forget to de-grease your gun, Dri-lube is good.

demlake
07-22-2010, 12:52 PM
Yep, stay dry.

That includes making sure all your stuff is dry over-night. Boot inserts, clothes, gloves, mitts, hats, pack etc. Don't leave 'em in the truck. Bring them in and put them by the stove.

Good luck.

Being out in the bush in the winter is a lot of fun.