PDA

View Full Version : Deer Bag limit - 2 questions

pete_k
07-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm in Region 8 where the bag limit for deer is 2.
The regs describe Moose, Caribou, Elk, WT and Mule as the "Deer Family".

1) Are Moose and Elk counted as deer against my 2 deer bag limit?

Am I allowed to take for example a Whitetail, Muley and Spike Fork Moose? Or does that put me over the 2 deer bag limit?

2) Also. Buddy and I argued (hmm....discussed) this last night. He seems to think he can take 3 deer in Region 8 as long as one is by bow. I told him I did not think so. A bag limit of 2 regardless of how killed. He stands firm that he can take two with a rifle and one with a bow and still not break any laws.

Gateholio
07-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Region 8:

Deer: The aggregate bag limit for deer is
2. Both deer may be antlerless, but only one
antlerless deer of each species may be taken.
The bag limit for mule deer is 1. Antlerless
mule deer are available only through LEH.
The bag limit for white-tailed deer is 2, only
one of which may be a buck, and one of
which may be antlerless.

Moose and elk are separate species. They don't count for the deer bag limit...

RJ
07-17-2010, 11:30 AM

I believe the family is the "ungulate" family which are hoofed animals

PointMan
07-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Region 8:

Deer: The aggregate bag limit for deer is
2. Both deer may be antlerless, but only one
antlerless deer of each species may be taken.
The bag limit for mule deer is 1. Antlerless
mule deer are available only through LEH.
The bag limit for white-tailed deer is 2, only
one of which may be a buck, and one of
which may be antlerless.

Moose and elk are separate species. They don't count for the deer bag limit...

What that means is, you can get 3 deer this year (and again next year) 1 white hail doe, 1 white tail buck and 1 mulie buck. The white tail doe is new to roe this year. Don't know about bow hunting, never looked because I don't bow hunt, yet.

Fisher-Dude
07-17-2010, 11:49 AM

1) Are Moose and Elk counted as deer against my 2 deer bag limit?

Am I allowed to take for example a Whitetail, Muley and Spike Fork Moose? Or does that put me over the 2 deer bag limit?

2) Also. Buddy and I argued (hmm....discussed) this last night. He seems to think he can take 3 deer in Region 8 as long as one is by bow. I told him I did not think so. A bag limit of 2 regardless of how killed. He stands firm that he can take two with a rifle and one with a bow and still not break any laws.

1.) You can shoot 2 deer, an elk, and a moose in region 8.

2.) Your buddy is wrong. A maximum of 2 deer may be taken in region 8. If he goes to another region, he can shoot his 3rd deer to meet the provincial limit of 3 (eg 2 in region 8 and 1 in region 4).

Fisher-Dude
07-17-2010, 11:51 AM
What that means is, you can get 3 deer this year (and again next year) 1 white hail doe, 1 white tail buck and 1 mulie buck. The white tail doe is new to roe this year. Don't know about bow hunting, never looked because I don't bow hunt, yet.

Wrong. 2 deer maximum in region 8.

You can shoot one mule deer and one WT, OR one WT buck and one WT doe.

Swamp mule
07-17-2010, 05:27 PM
I wanna say something about this and others that put these questions out there asking for clarification on certain things that one you can refer back to your regs as they are selfexplanatory if read carefully and two go back to the core course to obtain a better grasp of hunting. It is people like these that they should be not letting out of the core program and make them take it over. my two cents.

PointMan
07-17-2010, 05:49 PM
I wanna say something about this and others that put these questions out there asking for clarification on certain things that one you can refer back to your regs as they are selfexplanatory if read carefully and two go back to the core course to obtain a better grasp of hunting. It is people like these that they should be not letting out of the core program and make them take it over. my two cents.

I'll consider that for what it's worth, bad grammar and all. Besides, it'd be pretty hard to make me do my CORE over, considering I've had my BC Hunter number for 17 plus years, before the CORE program was introduced. I'm not sure why people feel the need to jump in the middle of a conversation in attack mode.

RJ
07-17-2010, 05:57 PM
I have to re read the regs sometimes, and some of the stuff is a bit confusing the way its worded. Maybe Im not the brightest bulb tho :-D

PointMan
07-17-2010, 06:02 PM
I have to re read the regs sometimes, and some of the stuff is a bit confusing the way its worded. Maybe Im not the brightest bulb tho :-D

No, I get ya. At the top it says 2 deer then as you read it they tell you to can bag 1 mulie and two white tails, if they'd insert some clarification along the way, conversations like these wouldn't have to happen. Just the same, I'd rather have the conversation here than in the bush with a co as I'm loading deer number 3! LOL

buck nash
07-17-2010, 06:08 PM
The ungulate family does include all members of the deer family but also includes Goat and Sheep which are not in the deer family.

Moose, Elk, and Caribou are indeed members of the the deer family but the provincial aggregate bag limits for deer refer only to mule and white tail. The combined total of these 2 species may not excede 2 animals in region 8 and 3 province wide (regardless of the method used to harvest them). Exception would be on the charlottes where you can take up to 15. Moose, Elk and Caribou have individual species bag limits of 1 a piece.

mark
07-17-2010, 06:37 PM

It is really sad that there are hunters out there that interpret the regs this way!!!
What part of "the regional bag limit for deer is 2" is confusing??? :confused:

Shooter
07-17-2010, 06:48 PM
It is really sad that there are hunters out there that interpret the regs this way!!!

Perhaps he misread the question and was referring to the provincial bag limit?

dougster
07-17-2010, 06:53 PM
i think it is very good that people can ask these questions on here, and it would be nice if people just gave strait answers and did not act holier than thou and give smart ass replies. isnt it part of the code of ethics of hunters to help junior hunters, not ridicule them? I would also like to not that there are some people on here who have helped very much and truly represent what i believe to be a model hunter, someone who shares knowledge with others. and to answer the question, the provincial bag limit comes second to the regional bag limit.... if the region says 2.... its 2, but you can get the third in another region

d6dan
07-17-2010, 06:56 PM

No problem here Mark!!, shoot 2 Whietails at mom's in GF and 1 Mulie in Chetwynd :lol:. What part of the Synopsis don't they understand :?

bighornbob
07-17-2010, 07:23 PM
I'll consider that for what it's worth, bad grammar and all. Besides, it'd be pretty hard to make me do my CORE over, considering I've had my BC Hunter number for 17 plus years, before the CORE program was introduced. I'm not sure why people feel the need to jump in the middle of a conversation in attack mode.

You must have taken the CORE. I have had my BC hunter number for 27 years and I took the CORE. I remember I was 12 when I took it with a friend at the old Okanagan College. The first few times my dad dropped me off and would go home then come back and pick me up. He said that was too much of a hassel so he would just go to the Willow for a few beers instead of going home. Not sure who was sadder when the course was over me or the old man:mrgreen:

BHB

PointMan
07-17-2010, 07:31 PM
You must have taken the CORE. I have had my BC hunter number for 27 years and I took the CORE. I remember I was 12 when I took it with a friend at the old Okanagan College. The first few times my dad dropped me off and would go home then come back and pick me up. He said that was too much of a hassel so he would just go to the Willow for a few beers instead of going home. Not sure who was sadder when the course was over me or the old man:mrgreen:

BHB

I moved here from another province, no hunter number required there, they issued me my number once I submitted proof that I had held a hunting license.

PointMan
07-17-2010, 07:35 PM
I do want to clarify something, and offer a half a$$ed apology (ask my wife, that's the best I'm capable of). I did only glance through the synopsis, once I saw that I could buy white tail buck AND doe tags along with mulie buck tag, I took that bit of info and ran with it. So I do apologize for jumping the gun on that "tidbit" of info.

mark
07-17-2010, 09:51 PM
I do want to clarify something, and offer a half a$$ed apology (ask my wife, that's the best I'm capable of). I did only glance through the synopsis, once I saw that I could buy white tail buck AND doe tags along with mulie buck tag, I took that bit of info and ran with it. So I do apologize for jumping the gun on that "tidbit" of info.

For starters, one should really give the regs a good read!
If you were indeed referring to the provincial limit of 3 deer, it can be 3 mulies or 3 whities or a mix of both, does where seasons are available!
Not just the sequence which you mentioned earlier!

pete_k
07-17-2010, 10:13 PM

Thats a pretty quick judgement SM.

Pretty simple. I've read the regs thouroughly before I posted the question.
1) Regs say Moose and Elk are in the "DEER" family. Check it out.
2) Regional bag limit is 2 deer.

Part of the CORE program is....
The regs can be confusing. If you are unclear about something, then ask a CO. Error on the side of caution. Beats loosing your hunting licence.

To the others on here.
Thanks for the help.
I have a call into the CO anyways.

JeremyCarrano302
07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
I believe the family is the "ungulate" family which are hoofed animals

If u wanna get all technical a ungulate is a "split hoofed" animal sorry I had to correct ya :p lol

Darksith
07-17-2010, 11:10 PM
what this means is ^^^ doesn't really know the laws, and is giving you bad info.

The bag limit for deer in that regoin is 2. Period. You can take 2 deer total. Whether its 1 whitie and 1 mulie, or 2 whities (1 antlerless, 1 antlered).

cloverphil
07-17-2010, 11:44 PM
on page 8 of the regulations

in the deer license section, reffered to in the bag limit section (page 16), it says that the provincial bag limit is "3 mule deer and 3 white tail deer" and if including the Queen Char. it is 15 deer total which would seem that the prov. bag limit is 3 per species tags as opposed to 3 total of all deer, be they 3(fallow, blacktail, mule) and 3(white tail) ;

I'm going to phone BCWF to confirm this since it should read "3 mule or 3 white" in any combination, the wording using "and" instead of "or" changes the bag limit province wide from 3 to 6 "deer" which is a HUGE difference

it doesn't change the regional bag limits remain 2 except in Queen Char's 15

reach
07-18-2010, 12:00 AM

in the deer license section, reffered to in the bag limit section (page 16), it says that the provincial bag limit is "3 mule deer and 3 white tail deer" and if including the Queen Char. it is 15 deer total which would seem that the prov. bag limit is 3 per species as opposed to 3 total of all deer, be they (fallow, blacktail, mule) or (white tail) ;

I'm going to phone BCWF to confirm this since it should read "3 mule or 3 white" in any combination, the wording using "and" instead of "or" changes the bag limit from 3 to 6 which is a huge difference

No. What you are referring to is not the bag limit - it is the number of species licenses (tags) you may possess. You ARE allowed to have 3 mule deer AND 3 WT tags. You are NOT allowed to harvest 6 deer - only 3. Read it again:

* A person must not possess more than
15 of any current year deer licences. The
combination of deer licences may include a
maximum of 3 mule deer and 3 white-tailed
deer licences.
* There are special deer licences (Queen
Charlotte Islands Deer Licences) which
allow hunters to exceed the 2 deer bag
limit for the Skeena Region and the 3 deer
provincial bag limit up to a maximum of 15
deer when hunting on the Queen Charlotte
Islands (MUs 6-12, 6-13). Up to 3 regular
mule deer licences can be used on the
Queen Charlottes, but they will count toward
the regional and provincial bag limits. (For
example, if a mule deer licence is used in
MU 6-12 or 6-13, a hunter will be prevented
from pursuing deer elsewhere in the Skeena
Region, and it will count towards the 3-deer
provincial bag limit).

cloverphil
07-18-2010, 12:06 AM
No. What you are referring to is not the bag limit - it is the number of species licenses (tags) you may possess. You ARE allowed to have 3 mule deer AND 3 WT tags. You are NOT allowed to harvest 6 deer - only 3. Read it again:
that may or may not be the case, I'm still gonna phone them anyway http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

I'm still waiting for them to call me back about how many rifles a person can carry while hunting, they didn't have an answer when I called last time

and I have read it several times thanks, I may even read it again . . . cheers

Fisher-Dude
07-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Is this unclear?

Deer

Provincial Bag
Limit

Maybe we need a remedial English course before we hand out hunter numbers. :?

Don't phone the BCWF. You can shoot 3 deer provincially (QCI excepted). Period. You cannot exceed the regional bag limit in any region. Period. You can purchase 3 WT AND 3 MD tags in a year, but cannot shoot more than 3 deer in total. Period. You can carry 50 frikken rifles if you want while hunting - the only restriction is one shotgun while waterfowling.

Wildlife Act - Hunting Regulation:

Offence — species or type of animal

11 (1) Subject to exceptions for areas noted in Parts 1 and 3 of each Schedule, a person commits an offence where he exceeds the Provincial bag limit for a species or type of animal as follows:
(a) 3 deer;
(b) 2 black bear;
(c) 2 cougar;
(d) 3 wolves;
(e) one mountain sheep of the genus Ovis;
(f) one big game animal of a species other than those referred to in paragraphs (a) to (e);
(g) and (h) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 216/2000, s. 4.]
(i) 5 bobcat;
(j) 10 snowshoe hare per day;
(k) one (1) bearded turkey.

huntcoop
07-18-2010, 07:40 AM
It's just not that difficult people :roll: .

afors
07-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Read the chart on page 16 of the synopsis Legal Hunting Methods & Provincial Bag Limits. It clearly lists each SPECIES and the provincial bag limit (the number of that SPECIES you are allowed to harvest Provincially). It says nothing about families.

For each region, read the Regional General Open Seasons chart, on the right it list each SPECIES and on the left the regional bag limit (the number of that SPECIES you are allowed to harvest regionally). Again, it says nothing about families.

dana
07-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Is this unclear?

Deer

Provincial Bag
Limit

Don't phone the BCWF. You can shoot 3 deer provincially (QCI excepted). Period. You cannot exceed the regional bag limit in any region. Period. You can purchase 3 WT AND 3 MD tags in a year, but cannot shoot more than 3 deer in total. Period. You can carry 50 frikken rifles if you want while hunting - the only restriction is one shotgun while waterfowling.

11 (1) Subject to exceptions for areas noted in Parts 1 and 3 of each Schedule, a person commits an offence where he exceeds the Provincial bag limit for a species or type of animal as follows:
(a) 3 deer;
(b) 2 black bear;
(c) 2 cougar;
(d) 3 wolves;
(f) one big game animal of a species other than those referred to in paragraphs (a) to (e);
(i) 5 bobcat;

Either you are quoting from an older version of the wildife act or else they didn't change it to match the hunting regs. Because of the Mountain Caribou Recovery Strategy, there are numerous units where there is NO BAGLIMIT ON WOLVES.

Just figured I'd point that out since you are always harping on people to read the regs.:twisted:

elkdom
07-18-2010, 09:45 AM
Is this unclear?

Deer

Provincial Bag

Limit

(a) 3 deer;
(b) 2 black bear;
(c) 2 cougar;
(d) 3 wolves;
(i) 5 bobcat;

dont forget the Queen Charlotte Is,,, add 15 deer tags on top of the provincial mainland bag limit !:mrgreen: now it gets really confusing huh ?:?

Fisher-Dude
07-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Either you are quoting from an older version of the wildife act or else they didn't change it to match the hunting regs. Because of the Mountain Caribou Recovery Strategy, there are numerous units where there is NO BAGLIMIT ON WOLVES.

Just figured I'd point that out since you are always harping on people to read the regs.:twisted:

dont forget the Queen Charlotte Is,,, add 15 deer tags on top of the provincial mainland bag limit !:mrgreen: now it gets really confusing huh ?:?

Look at the preamble to the limits I posted:

(1) Subject to exceptions for areas noted in Parts 1 and 3 of each Schedule, a person commits an offence where he exceeds the Provincial bag limit for a species or type of animal as follows...

You guys didn't bother to look, but the exceptions in Parts 1 and 3 of each Schedule are the regional bag limits, and for those regions (eg NBL wolf regions and QCI deer region) the regional bag limit subrogates the provincial bag limit.

I guess you boys "missed" that in my original post. :wink:

elkdom
07-18-2010, 06:26 PM
Look at the preamble to the limits I posted:

(1) Subject to exceptions for areas noted in Parts 1 and 3 of each Schedule, a person commits an offence where he exceeds the Provincial bag limit for a species or type of animal as follows...

You guys didn't bother to look, but the exceptions in Parts 1 and 3 of each Schedule are the regional bag limits, and for those regions (eg NBL wolf regions and QCI deer region) the regional bag limit subrogates the provincial bag limit.

I guess you boys "missed" that in my original post. :wink:

yes it is real complicated :?, page 8 of the 2010-2012 BC Hunting regs, ( deer licenses) a person may not possess in a currant year more than 15 deer tags, 3 whities and 3 mulies inclusive,

and it was the same last year,,,:neutral:

Darksith
07-18-2010, 06:53 PM

in the deer license section, reffered to in the bag limit section (page 16), it says that the provincial bag limit is "3 mule deer and 3 white tail deer" and if including the Queen Char. it is 15 deer total which would seem that the prov. bag limit is 3 per species tags as opposed to 3 total of all deer, be they 3(fallow, blacktail, mule) and 3(white tail) ;

I'm going to phone BCWF to confirm this since it should read "3 mule or 3 white" in any combination, the wording using "and" instead of "or" changes the bag limit province wide from 3 to 6 "deer" which is a HUGE difference

Don't waste your time, it reads properly and you are just confusing the issue. This really hasn't changed in a long time, and its so simple. Why is this thread even going?

elkdom
07-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Don't waste your time, it reads properly and you are just confusing the issue. This really hasn't changed in a long time, and its so simple. Why is this thread even going?

there seems to be a problem with simply "reading the regs"

amazing as it seems,,,:?

reach
07-19-2010, 12:06 AM
This really hasn't changed in a long time
Actually they changed the wording in the 2006-2007 synopsis. Prior to that it said "3 mule deer and/or 3 whitetailed deer licenses". In recent years they clarified it to just read "and" instead of "and/or". The new wording is definitely more clear.

Either way, they're talking about species licenses, not bag limits.

I can't figure out why they would want to put a limit on the number of species licenses though... as long as you can only shoot 3 deer (except on QCI) I don't see how it would be a problem to buy as many tags as you want. Why anyone would buy more than 3 of each is a mystery to me, but if they want to make voluntary contributions to the HCTF then why not?

elkhunter1
10-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Simple Question:
I shot a Mule Deer in Region 3 Kamloops { jelly Country } OCT 5 th.
Can I hunt another Mule Deer in Region 8 where Region bag limit is 1 mule deer,?????
Thank,s in advance.

Gateholio
10-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Yes. Your mule deer hunting in Region 3 is over unless you have a LEH draw.

elkhunter1
10-09-2010, 10:59 AM
Thank,s gate Yes Got it. that,s why I am headding to 8.

rollingrock
10-09-2010, 12:08 PM
You can wait on Hurley Pass and have Gatehouse chase a mulie from R3 into R2. Then you can shoot another mule deer from R2 without having to drive to R8 for your second mulie. :D

elkhunter1
10-09-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes that is my backup plan for Nov.
Also want to try for Antlerless White-Tail.