PDA

View Full Version : BC Backroads Mapbook Micro SD for Garmin

tufferthandug
07-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I just picked up a BC Backroads Mapbook Micro SD card from Corlanes. Very cool card for hunting. It's a 2 gig card that holds all of BC on it.

It looks like it is complete with TOPO BC. Logging roads, trails, and WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT ZONES!

Well worth the 150$ Plugs in and is ready to go...

peashooter
07-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Can you transfer data to pc and back?

TESKELLY
07-16-2010, 10:41 PM
Yes via your Garmin MapSource program .

Lone Ranger
07-17-2010, 12:12 AM
I've been running it for a while. Works good, as can always been expected from their maps.

Only issues I've run in to is when using it on my Garmin Nuvi 255w, it doesn't show logging roads very clearly and usually labels them "unclassified roads" even when they're longstanding main haul roads - it can be nearly impossible to tell an FSR on my map sometimes. I also found the 'motorized recreational trails' [Placer Mtn as an example] being highlighted as rather annoying. On a Garmin 60CSx they draw the maps completely differently, and show the roads a little more clearly. Otherwise, great quality product and I'd buy from them again for sure. I have the Garmin topo's as well, and been considering keeping those in the pickup and saving the Backroads card for a handheld GPS unit. Just my two bits on them. LR

Drillbit
07-17-2010, 01:00 AM
If it has anything to do with the backroad BC map books, bring a big lunch and extra fuel along. There are many mistakes. Hopefully they have taken care of the problems and this is accurate.

G

johnes50
07-17-2010, 08:19 AM
I hope the SD card is better than their computer CD's. I bought the Vancouver Island CD v2.0 and it's a mess. Not very intuitive and difficult to figure out.

I went to their website for help and they say in print, "We're mapmakers not computer techs." Yea, but you took my $59.00 pretty quick.

goatdancer
07-17-2010, 03:13 PM
What is the scale of the maps? Just like the books?

tufferthandug
07-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Just like the books. The setup is like TOPO BC with a lot more info. It was nice because all I had to do was slip it into my MicroSD input of the GPS and it was ready to go.

sako_300
07-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Is it better than Garmins version of the BC maps? I think it's called Canada West and includes AB and YK in addition to BC.

r106
07-18-2010, 12:12 AM
I got it too. I love it. Pretty much all the info in the book. Used it for the first time "in the field" today on the quad. worked great.

As for people who don't like how the roads are not accurate, track were you have been with correct road names or new roads and send it to bc off-road maps. and get free updates.
________
Find headshop (http://headshop.net/)

Lone Ranger
07-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Is it better than Garmins version of the BC maps? I think it's called Canada West and includes AB and YK in addition to BC.

Thats what I have as well, bought it first last year. Backroads Mapbook of course has far more detail being that they're BC based and that they've been making maps for decades, but I liked the layout of the Garmin topos better driving FSRs in my pickup (the one you're referring to is the version I have). Garmin's maps draw logging roads the same as other roads which makes them clear to read, it just doesn't always have every road you'll come across, and some that don't even exist (which is no biggie in a truck, you can still track where you are in relation to your surroundings). Mapbooks draws logging roads the same size as topo lines, making things a little confusing.

I bought the digital Mapbooks version hoping that they would be exactly the same scale and layout as the mapbooks (I own the whole set), so that it'd be easier to follow both at the same time. I tried to do this during our run over the Placer Mtn - Ashnola Traverse run a few weeks ago and just gave up, they didn't seem to mesh very well. Colours are different, layouts are different, I ended up just putting everything away and picking through there by the seat of my pants (they've logged the entire area so badly last year I had a really rough time finding the proper roads). The highlighted Recreational Vehicle trail markers were the worst, they washed out all the other roads in the area.

A buddy of mine has the digital maps in his Garmin handheld GPS (mines just a regular car dash mounted unit) and it showed the logging roads a little better. For a car mount (Nuvi models, ect ect) I would say the Garmin topos, for a handheld GPS (and especially the 3D models) then I would use the digital Mapbooks version since its very much orientated to ATVs and snowmobiles, whereas the Garmin's orientated for cars and trucks. LR

kastles
07-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I stopped in the BackRoads Mapbook office in Coquitlam. I questioned one of the salesman there(forget his name) and he said to send in changes. Map out new roads and send it in. I also mentioned that they should make a topo version that works in peoples hand held GPS. He thought it was a great idea and apperently some one else did to and created it. Looked like a cool product.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I prefer the books ... the digital ones have way too much crap in them to read on a 4" screen

Rusty
08-14-2010, 04:42 PM
But where is the best place to purchase?
Maybe in Alberta at Bass Pro??
anyone have any info

buck nash
08-14-2010, 05:12 PM
But where is the best place to purchase?
Maybe in Alberta at Bass Pro??
anyone have any info

Bas pro should have them. whole sale sports, mec etc. Failing that you can go on line. Google gps maps.ca

lawlu
07-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Yeah, I'm reviving a 3 year old thread. But I just got a new garmin 62s and wondering if there have been some major upgrades/updates to the 2013 versions of the bc backroads sd cards or better alternatives out there.

Ry151
07-07-2013, 06:01 PM
I got it too. I love it. Pretty much all the info in the book. Used it for the first time "in the field" today on the quad. worked great.

As for people who don't like how the roads are not accurate, track were you have been with correct road names or new roads and send it to bc off-road maps. and get free updates.
________
Find headshop (http://headshop.net/)

Ya i sent in tracks just after christmas and have yet to see any credit or anything for the hundreds of miles that i sent in. even emailed them and they told me i wouldnt see any credit until they update there system and not were not sure then i would see a credit.

If you wnat good detail go to a surveying company and get a map. they are usually vary accurate and have property lines and owners names.

The Hermit
07-07-2013, 09:18 PM
I just sold the last four that I had in stock. If people want to do a group purchase (minimum order is 5 copies) I'll bring them in at $130 plus $10 shipping. http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/backroads-gps-maps-sd-card/

Fosey
07-07-2013, 09:27 PM
I have Oregon 450 with the card and it works good. I can take a lot of detail off my screen to make it not so busy. I would buy the Garmin Montana with the bigger screen, especially if I was plugging it into my vehicle. The back roads people were really good helping me out.

Sunzuki
07-08-2013, 07:26 AM
I have used my Rhino with my laptop. Makes for a big screen. Space is limited in the ol'zuk though.

lawlu
07-10-2013, 06:38 AM
I just sold the last four that I had in stock. If people want to do a group purchase (minimum order is 5 copies) I'll bring them in at $130 plus $10 shipping. http://www.vantagepoint-outfitters.com/backroads-gps-maps-sd-card/

I'm up for it if we can get 4 other buyers... Can we pickup if nearby?

butcher
07-10-2013, 07:25 AM
I have it loaded on my Montana 650. Use it for work and play and it is excellent

Westcoastgunner
07-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Use it on my Garmin Oregon 450... Awesome. Along with the use of Basecamp you can pretty well plan all your hunting waypoints at home. Couldn't be happier!

Sofa King
07-10-2013, 06:07 PM
If it has anything to do with the backroad BC map books, bring a big lunch and extra fuel along. There are many mistakes. Hopefully they have taken care of the problems and this is accurate.

G

lol.
very true.
those books should just be used as a rough guide.