PDA

View Full Version : Any news on bears in merrit?

trophyslayer
04-13-2006, 08:50 PM
Im up at my cabin this weekend and just wonderin if anyone has herd any reports of bears in the area. if so if there lookin good or still pretty ratty.

3kills
04-13-2006, 10:13 PM
i havent been out yet but i did see one between merritt and kamloops two weeks ago...i dont think they would look to ratty right now i think they would look pretty good right now...where about is ur cabin?

trophyslayer
04-14-2006, 07:12 PM
well im up in the Kanevalley and actually i just saw one today unfortunatly i didn't have my gun a real nice red boar

Steeleco
04-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I've spent a few (many) days in the Kane. Lots of bears one season none the next!! Are they done cutting all the pine bugged trees?? that you saw. Thanks Steeleco

3kills
04-14-2006, 08:44 PM
i have been up the kanevalley lots havent hunted to much up there but done a lil...some good area cuz u can go a lot of different places...whats the snow like up there???

trophyslayer
04-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Im pretty sure there done cuttin down all the pine beetle trees and theres only snow where drifst would have been or in the shade

boxhitch
04-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Sounds like the best time to find one, before the food sources get too well developed. Maybe fresh snow today, to track in ??

steveo32
04-16-2006, 10:12 AM
I work in the forest industry out fo merritt and we will never be able to catch the beetle it is too far gone now i just hope we can log enough before it becomes useless! As for bears i have seen a few nothing to big and i am waiting a few more weeks before i start packing at work!

steve

3kills
04-16-2006, 08:29 PM
the thing with the beetle is u cant catch it once the trees turn they have already moved on to the next trees...

Kirby
04-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Im pretty sure there done cuttin down all the pine beetle trees and theres only snow where drifst would have been or in the shade

Steveo32 and 3kills are right, we'll catch the beetle when it runs out of wood and not before.

Kane valley has some good bears, I found two respectable ones in there last year when I was working.

Kirby

Steeleco
04-16-2006, 09:16 PM
I've seen the same Sow with triplets every other year for 6 years, in around Davis lake. I swear that if one of the cubs were alone I would have shot it. She is one BIG momma, and the cubs were shooters for sure.

3kills
04-17-2006, 09:09 AM
david when are u makin ur first trek out this way?

Red Foreman
04-17-2006, 10:07 AM
I took my quad for a ride up chattaway last weekend saw a bunch of tracks but no bears.As for the beatle thing,it's going to look the the moon around here once this runs it's course.The beatles have been here for along time there's already trees that are unusable.Expect to see some giant cutblocks come hunting season.There's already some and as soon as breakup finishing the loggers will be going full bore.

Steeleco
04-17-2006, 12:53 PM
david when are u makin ur first trek out this way?

Likely the first weekend after the long weekend, going to Disneyland with the family till thursday then headed to your neighbourhood!!! I have a spot that's needing my attention!!!!

3kills
04-17-2006, 08:02 PM
well hope to see ya here when u get out here....thats the weekend i grad from school and my bday too so i might be able to get out for a hunt with ya..if i dont have to work...