PDA

View Full Version : What do you feed your dog?

mijinkal
07-16-2010, 02:01 PM
I've been doing a lot of reading and research into different types of dog food and I'd like to see what HBC members are feeding their dogs.

I feel that raw food is best for my dog and after what I've been reading I won't be giving him processed kibble or canned food ever. It's a lot more work than feeding processed food but the benefits are there.
However, the majority of dog owners feed their dogs kibble and other processed foods their whole lives, and their dogs are just as healthy and happy as the dogs on raw food.
Raw and BARF are completely new to me and I had never heard of it untill it was mentioned on this forum.
What do you feed your dogs?

happyhunter
07-16-2010, 02:13 PM
My lab gets pedigree ($35 or so a bag). I used to feed him this 'Truly' brand but man did he stink! He is at a healthy weight and is happy and healthy and far less gasy on pedigree.

Tenacious Billy
07-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Our new lab pup is getting TLC brand kibble (about 60$ per bag)......haven't tried anything different as of yet. The breeder gave us a bag to bring home with him and so far his turds have been manageable and he's content.

Poguebilt
07-16-2010, 02:43 PM
If I owned a dog it would get GO Natural dog food....

We feed our 5 cats the cat food version in dry and wet!

(Hagen) you can get it at Top Crop!

The Dawg
07-16-2010, 03:25 PM
When I had an in service k9 (my avatar), he got a steady diet of crackheads, thieves and sh!trats :)

Summit 512
07-16-2010, 08:42 PM
We have been feeding our lab ol roy and some of the skraps from the table.Her hair is shinney and she has lots of energy so I guess we are both happy.

.330 Dakota
07-16-2010, 08:53 PM
Cats.................

r106
07-16-2010, 08:58 PM
When I had an in service k9 (my avatar), he got a steady diet of crackheads, thieves and sh!trats :)

HAHAHA thats great :twisted:

BlacktailStalker
07-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Orijen, meat and beaver.

Sitkaspruce
07-16-2010, 09:13 PM
Our lab is on Orijen Adult....great food and she loves it. We switched her up from Go natural as it was time for a change.

Our old Chessie is back on Summit Canadian Chicken. She was on Orijen, but would not eat it......She was raised on Kirkland Chicken and she loved that and it was good enough for her.

Cheers

SS

LOC
07-16-2010, 09:40 PM
Nutro Ultra for the most part. He'll get Nutro-High Protein mixed in as well during hunting season.

Also the odd chicken, grouse or salmon, but thats only on occasion.

phoenix
07-16-2010, 10:24 PM
We mix Kirkland Lamb & Rice and Chicken & Rice for our 3 dogs and they are all doing fine. At least I'm not hearing any complaints.
Kim

Tron
07-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Orijen for the dog and cats. No grain

TESKELLY
07-16-2010, 10:35 PM
My Pitty gets Beneful. I tried many brands and this one keeps her the most consistent and healthy. Perfect stools with very little smell.

http://img.meijer.com/assets/product_images/styles/xlarge/1001029_017800029414_A_400.jpg

moosinaround
07-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Nutro for our lab, and my golden before that! It seems to be doing well for her! Moosin

mark
07-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Origin, chicken and fish blend!
He's happy and healthy as can be, but his farts make a skunk smell like perfume!

gameslayer
07-16-2010, 10:57 PM
So you have the wife convinced it is the dog as well eh and not the draft ? :mrgreen: I do high grade kibble and Raw, any bones and they spakle the walls :shock: so bones are now forbbiden.

Origin, chicken and fish blend!
He's happy and healthy as can be, but his farts make a skunk smell like perfume!

Steeleco
07-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Raw first and foremost. She gets a little Kirkland kibble in the morning and about a 1lb of raw for dinner, In season when I've got the supply it's mostly game trim. I seem to have a mini network of HBC members that save me theirs these days. She get's most of all the good leftovers, IE veggies and such from our table. I also have a healthy supply of critter leg bones that she gets a few of each week. She's not needing a dentist LOL

When I'm out of game trim, Surrey meats on 176 sells purpose made RAW pet foods, In this case it's chicken and veg bone in.

She eats less, craps small tight piles and is healthy as anything.

JeffR
07-16-2010, 11:18 PM
My dogs get Evo, Keeps them healthy, not too pricey.

This site gives a nutritional analysis of most commercial dog foods.

http://w ww.dogfoodanalysis.com/

spear
07-16-2010, 11:20 PM
Used to feed the pup Orijen, as mentioned by a few others, great health but man could he clear a room. Switched to Acana, same brand name, the food is a little less rich though, he seems to like it. He also eats a few mice and birds whenever he can at work

Kasomor
07-17-2010, 01:10 AM
Acana......

pnbrock
07-17-2010, 07:57 AM
when my dog comes back from his training depending on how well he does may get steak or kraft dinner .

ELK Seeker
07-17-2010, 08:02 AM
I had the problems with the loose stool and farts that would clear the room with the Orijen. I tried the Orijen Regional Red with bison in it and all those problems went away. He is one big happy boy .

Steeleco
07-17-2010, 08:39 AM
when my dog comes back from his training depending on how well he does may get steak or kraft dinner .

He'll only be as good as his training, give the boy steak and make him earn it. He'll be happier. :wink::wink:

Iron Glove
07-17-2010, 09:07 AM
BARF since birth for ours.
Due to allergies it's Jake & Daisies Buffalo and Veggies, lots of bones and quality treats - home made dehydrated venison, dried yams, etc.
Never had kibble, likely never will.
Now there is freeze dried RAW food, add water and eat, solves the problem of how to feed RAW when camping.
Hope to pick up another Toller tonight, he's been on RAW and occassional Oregen so he'll fit in nicely.
With two on RAW I think we'll be visiting Surrey Meats. :mrgreen:

mainland hunter
07-17-2010, 09:25 AM
We do BARF, our pit was allergic to everything so we switched both our dogs. We started raising our own rabbits for them to help cut down the costs. Seeing the difference, we'll stick with the barf diet thing. The best part is they don't stink, their breath never stinks and there's far less sh!t to pick up. Their teeth went from that yellowy brown to a real clean white and there whole appearence seems much healthier than before. Our boxer rhodesian cross was hovering around 65lbs and shot up to 85lbs when we switched.

Squamch
07-17-2010, 12:06 PM
when we had dogs, we fed them ripples ranch, we saw massive improvements when we started our old arthritic lab on it, same with our standard poodle...from tighter stools to more enthusiasm on walks, they just seemed alot happier.
A friend of mine has a small staffy and a normal doofus pitbull, the staffy can't eat anything without some kind of reaction, be it a digestive tract upset, skin problems, to siezures...vets don't seem to have a clue, so he's settled with beneful for her, as the skin problems it gives her seem to be the least of all evils. They've tried different home made recipes, raw foods, all kinds of stuff...she's got some bare patches on her back, but they don't seem to bother her at all...whereas teh sloppy uncontrolled sh!ts she had with alot of other foods bothered everyone!
The pitbull, will eat anything and everything, and the only thing she's ever had a problem with was a several months old box of cinnamon buns she dug out of a dumpster on a jobsite and scarfed in about 15 seconds...

Mainland hunter...what kind of reactions did your allergy prone pit have to most foods??

mainland hunter
07-17-2010, 12:52 PM
mostly skin rashes, hives, and really itchy. she was best off with rabbit and I've heard from lots of pit owners that rabbit seems to never give any reactions to even the most allergic dogs, its just expensive, but cheap to raise. She had alot of bare patches and weird bumps which all went away with the raw diet thing.

CanuckShooter
07-17-2010, 01:23 PM
Moose, deer, elk, grouse, rabbits, salmon, trout, carrots, potato, cauliflower....if it's good enough for us it's good enough for them...:mrgreen:

500grhollowpoint
07-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Moose, deer, elk, grouse, rabbits, salmon, trout, carrots, potato, cauliflower....if it's good enough for us it's good enough for them...:mrgreen:

Yup. With 6 plates around our table there is lots of ltable scraps, whatever we eat and then top the bowl off with dry dog food. - pedigree

Squamch
07-18-2010, 09:37 PM
mostly skin rashes, hives, and really itchy. she was best off with rabbit and I've heard from lots of pit owners that rabbit seems to never give any reactions to even the most allergic dogs, its just expensive, but cheap to raise. She had alot of bare patches and weird bumps which all went away with the raw diet thing.

must be why my land lord's pit likes the bunnies so much, I swear they're the only things that'll get him above a trot...
sounds like exactly what dakota's problem is, hers seems to get worse when my buddy's wife isn't around, she did a week long trip with her sister and the dog ate itself raw...stopped immediately that "mum" came home.
stupid emo dog.