PDA

View Full Version : spotting scopes

maddie
07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
opinions,or recommendations. bushnell elite 15-45x60 or vortex nomad.20-60? thanks for the help.

troutseeker
07-14-2010, 10:03 PM
Vortex Nomad. I've had both and the Vortex is great! I had busted the eyepiece (my fault) and Vortex fixed it for free and quickly.

Very bright optics and nice fast focus.

r106
07-14-2010, 10:09 PM
I have no expeiance with either. But have yet to hear a bad thing about vortex optics
________
Aspen (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_Aspen)

SHACK
07-15-2010, 06:46 AM
I have the bushnell, and its a great little scope for the money. I have also gotten the chance to look through the nomad, and it also is a great scope for the money. I went with the bushnell simply because of its compact size. You wont be disapointed with either.

BiG Boar
07-15-2010, 06:51 AM
I have no expeiance with either. But have yet to hear a bad thing about vortex optics

You didnt read the post above yours then. The vortex BROKE!

Personally had a bushleage spotter for about 2 days before returning it as it was junk. Get ready for sore eyes.

One of the best things you'll ever invest in hunting is a good spotting scope. Go cheap and get disappointed. Go great and save yourself a lot of walking at the range and in the field.

r106
07-15-2010, 06:56 AM
You didnt read the post above yours then. The vortex BROKE!

I did read it. you should try it
He said it was his fault it broke and he still likes it. That says a lot and they have good custermer service
If they eye piece broke and it shouldn't have i'm sure he wouldn't still be happy with it
________
HONDA CRF SERIES (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CRF_series)

BiG Boar
07-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I did read it. you should try it
He said it was his fault it broke and he still likes it. That says a lot and they have good custermer service
If they eye piece broke and it shouldn't have i'm sure he wouldn't still be happy with it

Fact is that it broke. Maybe if he had bought something a little more sturdy, it wouldn't have. Now he is worried every time he has to rely on that piece of gear, will this thing hold up or not? So now you have heard something bad about vortex.

r106
07-15-2010, 07:43 AM
I bet you I can break a swarovski scope LOL.

Fact is that it broke. Maybe if he had bought something a little more sturdy, it wouldn't have. Now he is worried every time he has to rely on that piece of gear, will this thing hold up or not? So now you have heard something bad about vortex.

I didn't read the part in his post that says it might not have happened to different brands or that he is worried about it holding up in the future.

Obviosely you know him and how he acualy feels about his scope. I was just using the info posted. Sorry my bad :-D
________
Ford trimotor picture (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Trimotor)

bigwhiteys
07-15-2010, 07:46 AM
You can break the best out in the field too, I've done it... At that point what becomes important is the warranty. Will they fix it for you?

My partner and I each take a spotter.

Carl

trapperRick
07-15-2010, 08:36 AM
I picked up a Leapold 20 x 80 I really like it $725 but I would not carry it up a mountain it is a little bulky but for down below it is really good so I also picked up a 15 x 45 Leapold half the weight half the size

luckynuts
07-15-2010, 11:10 AM
I have a bushy elite in 15-45x60 and it's light and compact ok for the money and a good starter spotter. Though I would invest in something better if you are serious about mountain hunting especially for sheep. if a ram is full curl it's one thing but if he's broomed and your trying to age him, forget it unless he is real close. And there are lots of broomed 8.5 yr olds out there. My next 2 big purchases are a new pack and optics. Good luck with your purchase.

W.

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2010, 12:33 PM
opinions,or recommendations. bushnell elite 15-45x60 or vortex nomad.20-60? thanks for the help.

Both junk. Save your money until you can afford Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski. Any money spent on junk is like flushing it down the toilet, and only sets you back in saving for something worthwhile.

BimmerBob
07-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Both junk. Save your money until you can afford Zeiss, Leica, or Swarovski. Any money spent on junk is like flushing it down the toilet, and only sets you back in saving for something worthwhile.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=52719

So true to form bud, good that you are so consistent...:mrgreen:

StoneChaser
07-15-2010, 12:55 PM

While I agree in buying the best optics you can afford, you are way off base with the junk comment....WAY off base!

I can't speak for Vortex, but I can assure you there have been more rams aged and killed with the B+L/Bushnell Elite 15-45x60 spotter than this entire forum will ever kill in a combined lifetime!

They are light, compact, and affordable....Pretty much the standard spotter on the mountains, and pretty much every guide I know owns one (until he gets one tipped to him from the Big 3).

I ran one for a few years and it served me very well....evetually bought the Zeiss 15-45x65, and while certainly worth every penny, I wouldn't stay home if all I had was my B+L spotter.

bigwhiteys
07-15-2010, 01:02 PM
I can't speak for Vortex, but I can assure you there have been more rams aged and killed with the B+L/Bushnell Elite 15-45x60 spotter than this entire forum will ever kill in a combined lifetime!

Bushnell Spacemaster II as well, there used to be one in many a guides pack or saddle bag back in the day, and the design still hasn't changed.

Carl

BiG Boar
07-15-2010, 01:08 PM
Both are better than none, that is for sure. But I think if you can, sell your awsome gun and buy a savage cheapo and put your money into optics.

Tenacious Billy
07-15-2010, 01:54 PM

So while they're saving up to buy one of the 'Big 3', what do you suggest they use?? An empty paper towel roll perhaps?? Or should he just stay at home?

The Bushnell is great for the price, used one for years. Heard only good things about the Vortex. Look through them both and pick the one you like best.

Gateholio
07-15-2010, 01:55 PM
Never used the Vortex but I had an Elite 15-45 and it was a good scope. I'd buy one again if I didn't have a Ziess.:wink:

SHACK
07-15-2010, 03:46 PM

I did not need to save my money, I can afford one from the big three, the elites are just great for the money, and as I said earlier, I chose it because of its size. Nope, I wont be able to count the amount of hair on the left nut of a ram at a 1000 yards, but I sure as hell can tell if its worth while to make the hike or not.

Devilbear
07-15-2010, 04:33 PM
While I agree in buying the best optics you can afford, you are way off base with the junk comment....WAY off base!

They are light, compact, and affordable....Pretty much the standard spotter on the mountains, and pretty much every guide I know owns one (until he gets one tipped to him from the Big 3).

I ran one for a few years and it served me very well....evetually bought the Zeiss 15-45x65, and while certainly worth every penny, I wouldn't stay home if all I had was my B+L spotter.

I am on my third spotter, this one an armoured Leica 62 and I have had and used quite a few binos as well. I totally agree with the above and also with BW's comment about the best gear breaking in the mountains. I destroyed my original B&L by dropping it on a rock, my Leupold Armoured lasted for nearly 20 years until a buddy bought it last winter and I have had the Leica, my newish Leica Trinovid bino and my elderly Zeiss B/GAH Nato bino back for service....nothing is foolproof.

Those B&L branded 15x45-60 spotters were/are VERY good tools for the price and a good place to start, "carriage trade" gear is great to have and I have a lot of it, but, I started with old castoff stuff, military surplus and still got game and had FUN....which, is really what it is all about.

One of the most competent mountain men I have ever met is Dale Copeland who guides for Barry Thompkins and he is a REAL bushman. He was using an Alpin bino. and an older Redfield spotter when I met him and I asked him why he didn't go to Zeiss or Swaro....he simply said, this stuff does all I need it to do and so I cannot justify spending the coin on better optics.......this is a guy who I would seriously listen to.

BlacktailStalker
07-15-2010, 04:40 PM
I never had one before my Swarovski HD... figured if I didnt splurge for a good one I woudn't get a sheep.
Still don't have a stone... :lol:

d6dan
07-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I never had one before my Swarovski HD... figured if I didnt splurge for a good one I woudn't get a sheep.
Still don't have a stone... :lol:

Good optics are great, but they don't guarantee you a sheep or anything else..Shit I'll be the 1st to admit I own a Bushnell Armour coated (Rambo) camo 15x45x60 and it works flawlessly.Had it since 1992. I used it on many hunts and its never failed me..Just the weight of it sucks, but hey I don't walk anymore so HK!. (who cares). just my 2 cents..:wink:

BromBones
07-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Vortex optics are very good for the price. Last winter I picked up one of their Impact 25-75x70 compact spotters, to use as a backup/beater scope. I use it more than my other scope that was over twice the cost - it's clear and bright, lightweight, compact, and tougher than hell. I put it through the paces this spring hunting bears and it hasn't missed a beat.

I may take it on my sheep hunt in a couple weeks. Imagine that - hunting sheep with a $300 scope!:wink:

rgv
07-15-2010, 07:04 PM
there is a decent looking 15-45 elite on cgn with a tripod for $175

I have one and like it, its biggest drawback is limited and critical eye-relief. The optics are great but you cannot comfortably look through one for as long and at higher powers than you can a 60mm plus higher end scope.

maddie
07-15-2010, 09:01 PM
thanks guys, gals for the feed back, primarily hunting elk,moose and mule deer up the muskwa maybe billies. good luck this fall guys.

Fisher-Dude
07-15-2010, 09:40 PM
So while they're saving up to buy one of the 'Big 3', what do you suggest they use?? An empty paper towel roll perhaps?? Or should he just stay at home?

The Bushnell is great for the price, used one for years. Heard only good things about the Vortex. Look through them both and pick the one you like best.

About the same clarity as the cheap spotters, and only costs 10 cents in forfeited deposit, plus duct tape.

http://www.thegreatscavengerhunt.com/results/photos/ClQUgJ.jpg

troutseeker
07-16-2010, 06:23 AM

Fact is I broke it by stepping on it... Any other scope would have likely suffered the same fate. Mind you, even after I broke it I kept using it for several months and it still worked but the adjustments were really hard to make.

So really, I stupidly broke it, Vortex fixed it, it still functioned when broken. I would say this is not a bad report on a Vortex, but rather a good report on a great piece of gear and fantastic customer support!:-D

The Hermit
07-16-2010, 07:34 AM
I had a Bushnell Elite and it was functional but in side by side comparisons with Swaro, Leica, and Ziess found it wanting in clarity, quick focus, and field of view. I sold it and plan to upgrade to a Ziess as funds permit.

In retrospect, I kick myself for not following my normal buying philosophy, "buy the best and save the delta on the upgrades".

I finally got myself a set of 10x40 Geovids this spring and LOVE them... light bright and accurate all in one binoculars!