PDA

View Full Version : bear, whats it good for

dougster
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
i see there are a few bear hunters out there, i was wondering if anyone would like to share some tips as to how they like the meat. i have heard from a lot of people that bear isnt that good, but ive also heard it makes the ebst pepperoni... is there anyone in the kamloops area who has some advice? or would have a small amount of bear meat to sell so i could try it before i get a bear?

urbanhermit
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
cant buy sell or trade, just gift.

dougster
07-12-2010, 06:33 PM
well they would sell me the paper its wrapped in... the meat inside can be the gift

EvanG
07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
I find it equal to if not better than deer, yet not quite as good as elk/moose. Like anything its all in how you take care of the meat from the moment you pull the trigger. IMO nothing makes better sausage/pepperoni. Far too many people have given bear a bad name. Cooking roasts can be a bit tricky as the meat, like any game is very lean and tends to dry out/become tough. Its pretty hard to go wrong with any cut of bear in a slow cooker.

dougster
07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
i just want to try it before i go out and shoot and animal... to me it seems like it should be illegal to shoot an animal if know dont know if you will use it

BearSniper
07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Hi

Usually I mix it in with a sausage mix for sausage. [beef or pork]

I bar- b- que them or fry them like a breakfast sausage.

If it's a good size, and fresh, we'll brine a roast and then cook it like a baron of beef. Brining is kind of like kosher meats and gets more of the blood out. It also can help to tenderize it.

Sometimes bear meat can be lean so you just have to get used to it, and take care cooking it.

Remember, Black Bear is related to our friend the pig, so essentially it can be somewhat like pork.

I think with Bear, you either like it or hate it. But then I've had deer meat taken from during the rut and it was very "gamy" tasting.

Steeleco
07-12-2010, 06:43 PM
It's the best liked in my home. If someone local doesn't have a little to try. Just go shoot one when you can, if you don't like it after all, I'm certain it won't last long should you post some for free.

BearSniper
07-12-2010, 06:44 PM
Hi Dougster

Don't worry about the legalities of it.

I'd like to bag a big Wolf one day for my wall, but I'm certainly not going to eat it.

We are allowed to legally enjoy the activity of the hunt, and the use of the fur- in this case the mere possession of it is the enjoyment.

Remember, a power or right unused is a power or right lost. May as well hunt and fish for as long as we can. Many of our own neighbours would love to take that right away from us, in aspite of the fact that the only Bear they've ever seen is on BCTV.

dougster
07-12-2010, 06:46 PM
the paying for it to be butchered would be a problem though... if i know its good and want to eat it and my wife likes it, then i know it would be worth paying to have the meat done.... it would suck though if i shoot the bear, pay for the butchering, then have to give it all away

BearSniper
07-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Hey Dave !

Speaking of Bear, we pick up the Girizz rug and skull tomorrow.

May have to get you to post some pics again for me.:wink:

I didn't get the Hope Black Bear this spring, did you ?

BromBones
07-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Makes good sausage, pepperoni, burger (really good in chili or stew). Ribs on the BBQ or Dutch Oven are awesome.

Save the fat as well and render it down for boot grease.

BearSniper
07-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Dougster

No worries. If you've ever gutted a trout, you're halfway to cutting up a bear

Plenty of how to youtube videos on it

Go get one !

dougster
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
im sure its a bit more complicated than that.... and i would prefer to let a professional cut it

Steeleco
07-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Mark, skunked so far for bears this spring :(

dougster, I once thought as you do, you'll only really know once you do it.
For most it's the space and time to do it. As was mentioned, get some sausage made with a few steaks and roasts. You won't likely be giving any away!!

NaStY
07-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Join your local rod and gun club and go to there annual banquet. Im sure there will be all kinds of different meat you can try...

SHAKER
07-12-2010, 07:47 PM
Anyone who says Bear isn't good dosn't know their a$$ from a shovel handle....... Bear meat is exellent table fair as long as it's taken care of like any other wild meat including inland grizzly. Don't hesitate and pop one but my recomendation is to take a spring bear.... less fat and has probably been eating nothing but fresh grass shoots.

300win
07-12-2010, 08:03 PM
Black bear meat for me is either pepperoni, sausage or hamburger. IMHO when mixed with the right amount of fat tastes no different than beef!! Enjoy!!!

dougster
07-12-2010, 09:01 PM
thanks for all the advice, but before i take an animal i would really like to try it first. if anyone around would be willing to share some bear meat it would be greatly appreciated, just pm me... thanks a bunch and hopefully one day i can repay the favor by helping a new hunter and giving him a task for game meat

ve7iuq
07-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Extensive eating of bear meat is a fairly recent thing. A way, way way back in homestead, depression era days, the people liked to get a bear for the fat, but they seldom ate the meat. The choicest of bear fat came from cubs. One homesteader shot a bear cub every fall for twenty some years, for the fat. And by the way he told me he never once had to shoot the mother bear, to protect himself.
In BC, bears were vermin, not protected in an shape or form, until well into the 1970s. People could shoot any bear they saw, any time of the year they saw it and do nothing with it. During this time very few bear were eaten.
Then the antis got to work, trying to outlaw "sport" hunting of bears, so the government gave bears legal, game status and soon made it mandatory to bring home the meat.
I have given a bit of history here, so don't anyone trash, or quiz me, for what used to be. I am just the messenger.

dougal
07-12-2010, 10:06 PM
my great grandparents used to kill black bears at there cabin that got stuck in the garbage pit "the only way at the time to get them out"
They had a dozen cub mounts on the wall in between the bigger ones it was the way it was done back in the day but they were also poor ish so little meat was tossed as far as I know

Caveman
07-12-2010, 10:24 PM
the paying for it to be butchered would be a problem though... if i know its good and want to eat it and my wife likes it, then i know it would be worth paying to have the meat done.... it would suck though if i shoot the bear, pay for the butchering, then have to give it all away

Dougster, even if you payed for having made into sausage, I don't know that you would really be able to tell it was bear. I've never cut one, but I'm sure I could help you with the basics, as how different can it be from a moose or deer to cut up

buckwild76
07-12-2010, 10:37 PM
hey dougster, if you do have the fortune to enjoy some bear sausage or pepperoni that someone is willing to share with you, keep in mind that every custom butcher does things a little different than the next. I have had some deer pepperoni that was absolute cardboard from one butcher and some that was phenomenal from another. I shot my very first bear this year (also first one i have ever field dressed) and had every intention of eating him. Johnstons butcher shop in Chilliwack did a tremendous job on the pepperoni and farmer sausage,cost me $300.00, definitely money well spent. Video is on you tube, "Chilliwack Bear"

muleychaser
07-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Don't hunt within 10 km of an open dump and you will be surprised. Most bears feed like cattle all summer long, The meat is good just make sure it is taken care of properly.

peashooter
07-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Cool video 76.

thecoug
07-12-2010, 11:20 PM
Hi Dougster

Don't worry about the legalities of it.

I'd like to bag a big Wolf one day for my wall, but I'm certainly not going to eat it.

We are allowed to legally enjoy the activity of the hunt, and the use of the fur- in this case the mere possession of it is the enjoyment.

Remember, a power or right unused is a power or right lost. May as well hunt and fish for as long as we can. Many of our own neighbours would love to take that right away from us, in aspite of the fact that the only Bear they've ever seen is on BCTV.

Yes Doug,
DO be concerned about legalities... There are some fools who offer lots of advice and bravado.. Your ethics are commendable...:-D

thecoug
07-12-2010, 11:23 PM
thanks for all the advice, but before i take an animal i would really like to try it first. if anyone around would be willing to share some bear meat it would be greatly appreciated, just pm me... thanks a bunch and hopefully one day i can repay the favor by helping a new hunter and giving him a task for game meat

Doug,
I hunt north of you in the early fall... I would be glad to bring you some sausage and some pepperoni... Roasts are great.. usually marinade for a couple of days in apple cider and cook slowly.. It is a misunderstood game meat..

Padron
07-12-2010, 11:23 PM
hey dougster, if you do have the fortune to enjoy some bear sausage or pepperoni that someone is willing to share with you, keep in mind that every custom butcher does things a little different than the next. I have had some deer pepperoni that was absolute cardboard from one butcher and some that was phenomenal from another. I shot my very first bear this year (also first one i have ever field dressed) and had every intention of eating him. Johnstons butcher shop in Chilliwack did a tremendous job on the pepperoni and farmer sausage,cost me $300.00, definitely money well spent. Video is on you tube, "Chilliwack Bear"

Nice video. Looks like a beautiful gun you're carrying in it. What is it?

Amphibious
07-13-2010, 06:54 AM
I happen to love black bear steaks :) pepper sauce, mash potatoes. some grilled asparagus. mmmmm

elkdom
07-13-2010, 07:00 AM
i see there are a few bear hunters out there, i was wondering if anyone would like to share some tips as to how they like the meat. i have heard from a lot of people that bear isnt that good, but ive also heard it makes the ebst pepperoni... is there anyone in the kamloops area who has some advice? or would have a small amount of bear meat to sell so i could try it before i get a bear?

I dont think the CO's office has had any calls for the meat of the problem bear they (CO's) killed(shot dead) on the outskirts of Dawson Creek a couple of days ago,,,:cry:

give'em a call, maybe you can have it!:wink:

buckwild76
07-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Thank you very much for the compliment on the video guys, the boomstick i've got in my hands there is a Marlin MXLR .308 Express, beautiful gun i love it.

sir_brady
07-13-2010, 08:49 AM
Bear also makes great Hams. i shot my first bear last spring, and had it made into pepperoni, garlic sausage, and a ham. everyone who tried it, loved it.

i highly recomend bear meat

Spuddge
07-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi

Usually I mix it in with a sausage mix for sausage.

I bar- b- que them or fry them like a breakfast sausage.

If it's a good size, and fresh, we'll brine a roast and then cook it like a baron of beef. Brining is kind of like kosher meats and gets more of the blood out. It also can help to tenderize it.

Sometimes bear meat can be lean so you just have to get used to it, and take care cooking it.

[B]Remember, Black Bear is related to our friend the pig, so essentially it can be somewhat like pork.

I think with Bear, you either like it or hate it. But then I've had deer meat taken from during the rut and it was very "gamy" tasting.

No disrespect meant Bearsniper but bears are not related to pigs, it is a common misconception though.

BCRiverBoater
07-13-2010, 04:20 PM
Not a bear meat fan.

I would say they are good for stopping high velocity lead from a long steal barrel.

dougster
07-13-2010, 05:37 PM
lol, i tried calling the co's here to see if they knoew where i could get some to try... no luck... i guess i will just have to keep looking for a sample of bear meat

italhunter
07-13-2010, 06:33 PM
It's good for what ills you.:mrgreen:

But seriously though. I tried pepperoni from my uncles black bear last year and was surprised. It was really good. Probably the best pepperoni I ever had.

Marc
07-13-2010, 08:35 PM
No disrespect meant Bearsniper but bears are not related to pigs, it is a common misconception though.

The closest relative to bears in North America would be a raccoon. The only comparison to make towards bears & pigs is the name "sow" and "boar" and maybe trichinosis, other then that they're totally different creatures.

dougster
07-13-2010, 08:38 PM
they both stink like hell too

oldtimer
07-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Best Hamburger there is !!!!! Mike

wunderboy
07-14-2010, 02:52 PM
its awesome in sausage. Every person I know who tries bear pepperoni thinks its the best ever. I don't mix it with anything its just straight bear.

Mr. Dean
07-16-2010, 12:40 AM
If you're worried about liking it or not, just smoke a midget-sized one. You'll be AMAZED at the shrinkage once it's boned out and cleaned up.

Great eats IMO. The backstraps make for excelent steaks... A little chewy'er than beef but pretty much the same flavour.

MichaelB
07-16-2010, 11:58 AM
Best use for bear is to catch them alive and send them to china to steal bikes! Big money in that! Better money than sending the gall bladder of a dead one in my opinion....

mr7mm
07-17-2010, 05:06 PM
i tell you what dougster i had some brats made at this year being my first bear i decided to give it a shot and they are better than deer in my books any day you wont be disapointed

wayne

dougster
07-17-2010, 06:48 PM
do the local butchers and meat cutters deal with bear?

Andy83
07-17-2010, 09:53 PM
I like to get sausages made from my bear meat. My butcher makes great mennonite-like sausages, and awesome cheddar smokies.

SR80
07-18-2010, 03:48 PM
most butchers will cut bear

Barracuda
07-18-2010, 03:55 PM
i just want to try it before i go out and shoot and animal... to me it seems like it should be illegal to shoot an animal if know dont know if you will use it

couldnt this be said about any animal? i have had fish bear and fantastic bear .
there are a whole lot of variables when it comes down to how palatable an animal is and that goes for deer moose fish etc. All of which i have had very good and very bad tasteing animals