PDA

View Full Version : bird trapping

FlyFishBC
07-12-2010, 01:26 PM
is it legal to trap birds in british columbia? if so what kinds? game birds like grouse or only pests? and also what methods are legal if this is allowed? do i need a trapping license?

wolverine
07-12-2010, 01:50 PM
You're trying to pull our pissers here, right?:roll:

IslandHunterBXL
07-12-2010, 02:54 PM
i ran into a lady one time who claims she trapped and killed dozens of starlings every year by laying a prawn trap on the lawn with bird seed all around it and in it. said the trap woud load right up. have never tried it myself

Pete
07-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Schedule C birds Yes Game birds No. We use M traps and remote controled Drop traps on Starlings and Pigeons. You can buy comercial Pigeon and English Sparrows traps or make your own. The main reason for these types of trap is that you can release non target species example would be a Coopers Hawk trying to get a Starling in an M trap. You will also have to check the traps every day as well as supply food and water daily. What do you plan to do with the birds once you catch them? In some parts of the world BBQ Starling breast is considered a delicacy.

Chuck
07-12-2010, 06:06 PM
In England they use Gin & Tonic to do that. A Shandy's too slow.

webley
07-13-2010, 06:38 AM
In England they use Gin & Tonic to do that. A Shandy's too slow.
He Chuck thats what I used to use, works well, I think they use lemon ginn over here. Steve!!:mrgreen:

BiG Boar
07-13-2010, 06:43 AM
I think you can trap hawks and falcons if you have a licence to do so, to use for falconry.

Pete
07-13-2010, 07:39 AM
I think you can trap hawks and falcons if you have a licence to do so, to use for falconry.

Yes you can but it is under permit only with lots of hoops to jump through before the permit is issued.

yamadirt 426
07-17-2010, 10:19 PM
I set a rat trap last year with peanut butter and bird seed. FOR RATS ONLY sign on it. Dam birds can't read worth a sh!t. Had to stop that.