PDA

View Full Version : Lookint to Beg, Steal or Borrow a Trail Cam.

PointMan
07-12-2010, 11:08 AM
I'm wondering if anyone in the Vernon area (Lumby, Kelowna, Armstrong, etc.) has a spare trail cam I can borrow for this years pre-season, there's a very promising spot I came across a while ago, but it's a bit of a drive and I won't be able to get to it too often before the season opens. I know this might seem like a lot to ask, considering it's an internet forum and I'm fairly new to HBC, but I really don't want to go out and spend 100 bucks on a camera I'm not sure will be used regularly. For what it's worth, if I really like how the cam performs and think I might have future use for it, I may be interested in buying it, assuming the price is reasonable enough.

BlacktailStalker
07-12-2010, 01:02 PM
I find it odd you wouldnt "want" to spend the $ on one but if you borrow one, would you "want to" replace it ?
Just a thought as a LOT get stolen in areas you'd never think... and most certainly even more get smashed by bears...
Best of luck though :cool:

PointMan
07-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I find it odd you wouldnt "want" to spend the $ on one but if you borrow one, would you "want to" replace it ?
Just a thought as a LOT get stolen in areas you'd never think... and most certainly even more get smashed by bears...
Best of luck though :cool:

What you say makes sense, I haven't done much hunting in the last few years and have never used a trail cam at all. So, I really don't know a whole lot about them or the problems related to owning them (being stolen, smashed by bears, etc.). I was raised old school, if you borrow something, it becomes your responsibility, so if it gets broken or stolen, you would be inclined to replace it. I've always considered it a common courtesy, like leaving a cabin like you found it, or better. Of course, I also completely understand anyone not wanting to lend out equipment they paid their hard earned money for, to a complete stranger.

BlacktailStalker
07-12-2010, 01:28 PM
If you do end up looking for one here is a real good site to ensure you get a good one. They put a lot through trial...

http://www.chasingame.com/index.php?id=2

proguide66
07-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Here's my experience on lending shit :
lent out 4 hali rods and a salmon net to 'freinds'...had to chase down gear a yr later minus the net due to them breaking it...compensation..ZERO
Lent out 2 crab traps / 2 prawn traps to 'freinds'...they lost all of them , never replaced em...
lent 10 grand to 'close freinds' to buy a house 6 yrs ago....not a dime in return.......

lending to strangers 'expensive' items......zero chance....:-|

PointMan
07-12-2010, 01:43 PM
lent out 4 hali rods and a salmon net to 'freinds'...had to chase down gear a yr later minus the net due to them breaking it...compensation..ZERO
Lent out 2 crab traps / 2 prawn traps to 'freinds'...they lost all of them , never replaced em...
lent 10 grand to 'close freinds' to buy a house 6 yrs ago....not a dime in return.......

Like I said I know it's a big deal to ask, and not something I normally do, as I've been burnt before. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, I just have never used a trail cam and was interested in trying one to see if it was useful enough to warrant a purchase. I have over ten grand in tools that I rarely lend for the same reason. Honestly, I would replace anything lost, broken or stolen, but if the post is going to damage or destroy my rep on here I'll pull it down.

PointMan
07-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Just wanted to say, I did a little more research on the topic of trail cams and I must say, I got a better idea on why lending one seems to be a bit of a sensitive topic. I was thinking they were all in the $100 range, I almost spewed my coffee over my monitor when I realized they typically ran $200 plus! My apologies to all of you, I had no idea on the value attached.

Gateholio
07-12-2010, 02:52 PM

Lent your truck with a 1/4 tank of gas to a friend whose truck was in the shop and had it returned with a 1/2 tank of gas.....:wink:

An old generator of mine has ben sitting behind my shop for about 10 years, maybe more. Lent it to a buddy and he didn't put oil in it, blew the motor. Got promised a new motor 10 years ago....

Never had a chainsaw returned sharp, etc.....

I have a very, very short list of friends I will lend stuff to these days..

700bdl
07-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Wow.....guys...........if these are your friends, I'd hate to meet your enemies. I have never had a problem lending things to friends, because they are truly just that....friends.

PointMan
07-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Lent your truck with a 1/4 tank of gas to a friend whose truck was in the shop and had it returned with a 1/2 tank of gas.....:wink:

An old generator of mine has ben sitting behind my shop for about 10 years, maybe more. Lent it to a buddy and he didn't put oil in it, blew the motor. Got promised a new motor 10 years ago....

Never had a chainsaw returned sharp, etc.....

I have a very, very short list of friends I will lend stuff to these days..

I'm not going to have to create a whole new profile or go into hiding for submitting this post am I? Honestly, I meant no offense when I posted, didn't really think it through or research it, but I must admit, I had a bad feeling about asking such a thing. Hope I'm not blacklisted over this. :redface:

huntcoop
07-12-2010, 03:33 PM
Just wanted to say, I did a little more research on the topic of trail cams and I must say, I got a better idea on why lending one seems to be a bit of a sensitive topic. I was thinking they were all in the $100 range, I almost spewed my coffee over my monitor when I realized they typically ran $200 plus! My apologies to all of you, I had no idea on the value attached.

Just get off your wallet and buy one :mrgreen: .

PointMan
07-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Just get off your wallet and buy one :mrgreen: .
LOL I'd have to pry it out of my wifes hands first!

nolan-sawka
07-12-2010, 03:46 PM
just say no to the guy he didnt ask for life stories

Ruger4
07-12-2010, 03:56 PM
just say no to the guy he didnt ask for life stories

hahahahhahahah !! LOL ~!

Gateholio
07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Wow.....guys...........if these are your friends, I'd hate to meet your enemies. I have never had a problem lending things to friends, because they are truly just that....friends.

There are friends and good friends. Some people I have no reservation about opening my wallet and handing a stack of hundreds to, because I know I will get it back when they say so. Others....not so much.

Point is some friends are more responsible than others. Doesn't mean that you should love them any less, just be aware of thier limitations and you will avoid future disappointment...

PointMan
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
WOW! Sorry guys, I really didn't intend to open this can.

NaStY
07-12-2010, 04:51 PM
WOW! Sorry guys, I really didn't intend to open this can.

They don't mean it towards you personally. If your going to ask these type of questions, your going to need bigger shoulders :mrgreen:

winchester284
07-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't know you at all, but if I had a trail cam I'd lend it to you.... :mrgreen:

PointMan
07-12-2010, 04:59 PM
Let me ask this question then, are trail cams very useful or just something to offer a little more interesting information on the animals in your prospective hunting hole?

landphil
07-12-2010, 05:06 PM
Here's an idea you may find helpful - find a used one somewhere (I seem to remember seeing one on here recently - maybe it's gone though?), buy it, try it out, if you don't like it or find that you use it much, sell it for what you bought it for - at worst you'll be out some shipping $$. Just a thought anyway. Cheers

hardnocks
07-12-2010, 05:07 PM
well i have a never been used stealth i will loan you . but salmon arm wasn`t on your list of places to borrow from. you would have to come get it.....oh and buy a memory card.

Jagermeister
07-12-2010, 05:13 PM
Let me ask this question then, are trail cams very useful or just something to offer a little more interesting information on the animals in your prospective hunting hole?Very useful, just make sure you use as much thief deterent as you can when you put it out and as far as you can from main thoroughfares. Don't park at your trailhead when putting the camera out. Make a roundabout trip and tread lightly. The more times you access the camera, the more likely it is that some turd will put 2 and 2 together and find and remove your camera.

BCLongshot
07-12-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm wondering if anyone in the Vernon area (Lumby, Kelowna, Armstrong, etc.) has a spare trail cam I can borrow for this years pre-season, there's a very promising spot I came across a while ago, but it's a bit of a drive and I won't be able to get to it too often before the season opens. I know this might seem like a lot to ask, considering it's an internet forum and I'm fairly new to HBC, but I really don't want to go out and spend 100 bucks on a camera I'm not sure will be used regularly. For what it's worth, if I really like how the cam performs and think I might have future use for it, I may be interested in buying it, assuming the price is reasonable enough.

Seriously put away the glue !

Pretty obvious you need a part-time job to supplement your hobbies etc.

Can we borrow something of yours even though you most likely don't have much.

Jeeeeez

PointMan
07-12-2010, 05:50 PM
Seriously put away the glue !

Pretty obvious you need a part-time job to supplement your hobbies etc.

Can we borrow something of yours even though you most likely don't have much.

Jeeeeez
Up until now, everyone has made some sort of constructive comment, so I'll take yours for what it's worth, nothing.

BCLongshot
07-12-2010, 05:53 PM
It's okay u can "borrow" it.

Chuck
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Just reminds me......"You screw me once - shame on you. You screw me twice - shame on me." (No offense intended.)

700bdl
07-12-2010, 06:01 PM
[quote=Gatehouse;708682]There are friends and good friends. Some people I have no reservation about opening my wallet and handing a stack of hundreds to, because I know I will get it back when they say so. Others....not so much.

If you wouldn't lend them the money because you know they aren't considerate and responsible enough to honor the debt, then they aren't your friend. They are just kept around for company.

urbanhermit
07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
possibly the oddest thread i have ever read..

PointMan
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Should have known it would have turned into this. LOL. Nobody's fault but mine, I must say though, with the exception of one individual, things have managed to stay pretty civil. A true accolade to HBCrs everywhere!

urbanhermit
07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
hahahaha, a good bunch on here none the less. good luck with the cam, you will love it, they get addictive.

ruger#1
07-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Mr Point man. Go to this site. It is one of our sponsors. And get a hold of Chase and see if you can get a payment plan going. Their trail cams are very good and they back them with on of the best warranties out there. http://www.trailnsecuritycameras.ca (http://www.trailnsecuritycameras.ca/)

PointMan
07-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the link Ruger, I'll look into it.

BCLongshot
07-12-2010, 06:51 PM

Ya I'll say !

ruger#1
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
No problem. Chase is a good guy. Have fun on the site.

urbanhermit
07-12-2010, 06:52 PM
hey Ruger #1, can he borrow your computer to look at the site? hahahah
sorry, i couldnt resist.

PointMan
07-12-2010, 06:54 PM
hey Ruger #1, can he borrow your computer to look at the site? hahahah
sorry, i couldnt resist.

OOHHH OUCH!! BOOO HISSS!!! LOL
*thinks his nose is bleeding*

ruger#1
07-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Ha Ha urbanhermit. I have three laptops in this house. Whats wrong with the one he is using. Must of been a brain fart you had.

urbanhermit
07-12-2010, 06:56 PM
yeah, it was bad.

ruger#1
07-12-2010, 06:57 PM
It was funny though, Thanks

ianwuzhere
07-12-2010, 08:07 PM
id lend u one if u lived close to me- but i think id want in on the location tho ;)

PointMan
07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
id lend u one if u lived close to me- but i think id want in on the location tho ;)
LOL
I may have to be inclined to decline your offer in that case. I'm inclined to think the cam might be redundant considering the amount of physical sign I've seen there already, the cam is just for traffic confirmation.

urbanhermit
07-12-2010, 08:16 PM
nice thing is you can date and tim stamp the pictures, give you a better idea of when you can exspect the most activity. spend less but more productive time on your stand, nothing like being asleep when your deer walks by......dont ask!

PointMan
07-12-2010, 08:25 PM
LOL No need me thinks!