PDA

View Full Version : Buying a new boat, advice?

Devilbear
07-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I am considering buying a new boat, have some experience with boats and would appreciate any advice from those here with experience as I have not kept abreast of what's happening in recreational boating recently.

My thoughts are that I would like something like a 18-19 ft. "Lifetimer" or "Daigle" with an open bow and fitted with twin Yamahas, or, maybe a bigger Yamaha and a smaller "kicker". This will be largely for fishing on Kootenay Lake, year round and I will over-night on the lake shore in one of my tents on most trips, winter, summer, no matter.

Soooooo, any of you guys with some serious boat knowledge, what alternatives would you consider for a seasworthy boat that is comfortable in 4-6 ft. swells and 2-3 ft. chop. The best fishing is in the worst weather and I like to stay out from dawn to dusk, I will usually be solo,

Poguebilt
07-11-2010, 07:23 PM
I was told to go min 20' for kootenay lake...

I was lookin at a 27' Searay last year for kootenay lake.

the guys at Lancer Marine Know there stuff and also I found Jones boys to be good too!

358mag
07-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Looked at a very nice new KingFisher 2525 with single 250 Yamany + kicker +full load @ Jones Boys marine last week for only $130,000.00 + HST that would be my #1 fishing boat , bit the bullet Dwayne and buy it !!!!

BlacktailStalker
07-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Personally I wouldnt run twins for what you will be doing.

A 150hp main and 9.9hp kicker would be ideal for a 19' welded aluminum.
I wouldnt over look Thunderjets either...
Most Daigles I have seen are open bow, you don't want that if you're going to be encountering 2-3' chop atop 4-6' swells (sounds like a rough lake :shock:!)

358 if he goes that route he'd want to look at the new 300hp :cool:

358mag
07-11-2010, 07:43 PM
Personally I wouldnt run twins for what you will be doing.

A 150hp main and 9.9hp kicker would be ideal for a 19' welded aluminum.
I wouldnt over look Thunderjets either...
Most Daigles I have seen are open bow, you don't want that if you're going to be encountering 2-3' chop atop 4-6' swells (sounds like a rough lake :shock:!)

358 if he goes that route he'd want to look at the new 300hp :cool:
Yuppers but boat only rated for a 250hp

Devilbear
07-11-2010, 07:48 PM
I should mention that I grew up on Kootenay Lake and was a Lightkeeper for the CCG, my best friends and neighbours owned a marine service and we have bought from Jone's Boys before. I am more interested in what may be available on the Island or here in the LM so I can get the best boat for my needs and buy just once.

fuzzybiscuit
07-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Double the motors, double the trouble.

I'd second the one large motor and a kicker. Make them both four strokes and run off the same tank.

Diagles and Lifetimers are both nice boats. I don't believe that Diagle makes anything smaller than a 24 footer anymore.

Wolf makes some really nice aluminum boats in the size range that you are looking for also. He's located just north of Courtenay on the Island. www.wolfboats.com (http://www.wolfboats.com). Check him out.

Schutzen
07-11-2010, 08:35 PM
I second the stalkers comments, forget the open bow.
A windshield model like this is the way I would go DB.
Get a 150 Yammer main and a 9.9 big wheel kicker 4 strokes of course.
Make sure u pick up a lil anchor for the stern too so's u can put her up on the beach and the stern will stay where its supposed to when u overnite!
Man that will be a sweet rig I wish u joy of ur purchase.

http://www.wolfboats.com/ws.php

BlacktailStalker
07-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Last time I talked to Wolfe he had a 15 boat waiting list...
Jones always has top end units in stock as you already know.

Drillbit
07-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Whatever you decide, buy it in the US.

I agree with the one big engine, one kicker, both 4 stroke running off the same tank.

Also recommend a walk thru window. Sucks pulling up to the beach and having to f-around. Walk-thru front is the ticket.

Again, buy it US = huge savings. Coos Bay Oregon

Chuck
07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
If I could get enough air into it, I'd raise the Anscomb - now that's a fishing platform for sure, Lol.

Schutzen
07-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Whatever you decide, buy it in the US.

I agree with the one big engine, one kicker, both 4 stroke running off the same tank.

Also recommend a walk thru window. Sucks pulling up to the beach and having to f-around. Walk-thru front is the ticket.

How much $ less and what are the hoops?

Sitkaspruce
07-12-2010, 01:54 PM
How much $ less and what are the hoops?

Much cheaper and it is very easy to bring a boat across, max an hour at the border, if you do all the paperwork a head of time.

Go look on Craigslist, Boatworld, Ifish and a few other sites and see how much cheaper they are. Some pretty sweet deals down there right now. Also go on SportfishingBC.com and do a search on bring a boat back, they explain it in laymans terms on what to do.

Devilbear

Also look into Northriver, Hewescraft, Boulton and a few other welded aluminum manufactures down there. Good boats for what you are looking for.

Although I know how you feel about or friends in the south when it comes to hunting and fishing, it might be worth the look to see what they got.

Good luck on your search.

Cheers

SS

Johnnybear
07-12-2010, 02:38 PM
Much cheaper and it is very easy to bring a boat across, max an hour at the border, if you do all the paperwork a head of time.

Go look on Craigslist, Boatworld, Ifish and a few other sites and see how much cheaper they are. Some pretty sweet deals down there right now. Also go on SportfishingBC.com and do a search on bring a boat back, they explain it in laymans terms on what to do.

Devilbear

Also look into Northriver, Hewescraft, Boulton and a few other welded aluminum manufactures down there. Good boats for what you are looking for.

Although I know how you feel about or friends in the south when it comes to hunting and fishing, it might be worth the look to see what they got.

Good luck on your search.

Cheers

SS

Sound advice right there.

I have two friends that have bought Thunderjets from Siglar's and everything was done for them and they had zero problems. They both bought the 20' Luxor Offshore models with 150 yammy's and 9.9 kickers. Those Luxor's and Alexis O/S models have the deepest sides on the market.

I would agree about the walk through windshield for beaching etc. Most of the bench seats convert to a comfortable sized bed. Full canvas with back drop curtain is really nice as well.

Most of the boats of this style are pretty darn good. There is alot of brand bashing that goes on with the production welded aluminum's so don't get too distracted by that. Lifetimer and Daigle are both excellent boats as well but are priced considerably higher. I have noticed Lifetimer is offering some considerable discounts on their site as of late.

Sorry if I misunderstood but by "open bow" do you mean a center console?

Good luck DB.

Amphibious
07-12-2010, 02:42 PM

funny, i'm reading this thread wearing my Coos Aviation shirt. nice town :)

Jagermeister
07-12-2010, 05:26 PM
Double the motors, double the trouble.

I'd second the one large motor and a kicker. Make them both four strokes and run off the same tank.

Diagles and Lifetimers are both nice boats. I don't believe that Diagle makes anything smaller than a 24 footer anymore.

Wolf makes some really nice aluminum boats in the size range that you are looking for also. He's located just north of Courtenay on the Island. www.wolfboats.com (http://www.wolfboats.com). Check him out.I would not recommend running the kicker off the main tank unless it has it's very own pickup as drawing through the fuel/water seperater system for the main is a very hard suck for the little fuel pump on a 9.9

Sitkaspruce
07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
I would not recommend running the kicker off the main tank unless it has it's very own pickup as drawing through the fuel/water seperater system for the main is a very hard suck for the little fuel pump on a 9.9

Really???

I did not know there was a fuel pump on my kickers???? I thought there was just a carb and a fuel line.....

I have been doing it for year and never had a problem. Hell even my little 1981 4 hp merc never had a problem with the fuel.

One good piece of advise though is to have a small 2.5 or 5 gallon gas tank so you can run your kicker or big motor off of if your fuel filter/separator gets buggered up.

Cheers

SS

Devilbear
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the tip about Thunderjet, their Aladdin model looks like exactly what I am thinking is best for my needs, I don't need a 20 ft. boat for Kootenay Lake and I want to go down the river and beach on the gravelbars in the midst of the stream to flyfish, a open bow-walkthrough is much better for this and beaching against cliffs.

I have had open bow 16 ft. Starcraft boats out on Kootenay Lake alone in January at -20*F and 14ft'ers out in Georgia Strait going to and from Ballenas LtStn. in mid-winter and have had no problems. I want to be able to tow this behind a Toyota Tacoma, so, with these kinds of uses, that Aladdin seems about perfect.

I would really prefer to buy Canadian, it's not about "like" or "dislike" of anyone, I had to work my ass off all of my life and I believe in "buy Canadian" and support jobs here.

Any other specific manufacturers anyone would suggest and any to be careful about? All comments are welcome because I am only going to buy this once and want to get it right.

SHACK
07-13-2010, 06:39 AM
DB, the Aladdin apears to only have a 12 deg deadrise. This is the same as my Luxor, and I can tell you from experience, your not going to like it in choppy water or big swells. 12 deg seem to be the ballance line for most riverboat/jet boats for shallow draft and some comfort in choppy water. I would still have to say that if I was looking for a lake boat, that would ride comfortably in big water, I would look for a boat with at least an 18 deg deadrise. Im certain that if the Aladdin is a model you are very interested in, they (TJ) could easily build it with a 18 deg bottom for you, but keep that in mind.
I have been in some rough water in my boat, and the 12 degree bottom will kick the shiet out of you. Maybe take a look up at the Luxor OB ofshore. The OB (outboard bracket) models definetly leave a huge amount of usable space inside the boat where you want it, and also make the engine very accessable for working on as well.

Piperdown
07-13-2010, 07:49 AM
How much you wanting to spend I may have the boat you are looking for. It is a 20 ft centre console, 150 yammy and a 8 kicker, Northwest Aluminum, built in Victoria, unbelievable boat takes big water no problem. Email me if you want pics.

Jagermeister
07-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Really???

I did not know there was a fuel pump on my kickers???? I thought there was just a carb and a fuel line.....

I have been doing it for year and never had a problem. Hell even my little 1981 4 hp merc never had a problem with the fuel.

One good piece of advise though is to have a small 2.5 or 5 gallon gas tank so you can run your kicker or big motor off of if your fuel filter/separator gets buggered up.

Cheers

SS
Yup, the 9.9 4stroke yamaha that I have has a fuel pump. I believe that most motors that run off a remote tank that requires a hose have a fuel pump. The primer bulb just gives positive fuel displacement to make sure there is fuel at the pump at start up.
In my case, if I have the motor running off the main tank, I have to keep squeezing the primer bulb to ensure there is a constant fuel supply or the engine will quit. Since going to a dedicated remote tank, the little engine hasn't even coughed. It was cheaper to buy the tank and hose than to configure a line off the main, and there was not guarantee that the problem would not be solved by an independent line. I still have the outboard hose from the main available, so it can be used in a pinch.
I don't believe that the small outboards with attached tanks have fuel pumps. They rely mainly on gravity and natural engine aspiration just like a lawnmower.

pescado
07-13-2010, 11:09 AM
For an aluminum I'd look at Ironwood built in New west, or Underwoods built in Campbell River. In glass Monaro builds a good boat out of Vancouver. Glass are warmer, quieter, and nicer to run. Aluminum is tougher, lighter, and better if your going to beach it. Main engine with a kicker is the way I would go. Yamaha 8 h.p would work and it's lighter than the 9 h.p high thrust. The 9 h.p high thrust is a great kicker, I've had mine for years with lots of hours. They are heavy. For the main power I would price shop these days, most seem to be built well. The newer designed 2 stroke engines are light, more fuel efficient than they were, and if your not using the boat daily maybe the way to go. Do your research. Hydraulic steering with an arm to connect the kicker to the main when using the little engine is a smart move. Better make your way out to the Island soon and take a charter out on the west coast and see what there using. Uke or Winter Harbour would be good places to go. Fishing has been great.
Good luck.

Devilbear
07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
Piperdown, thanks, but that is a larger boat and motor than I want, I am also going to buy a completely new rig as it will be my only boat.

Good points, Shack and others, I am most interested in exactly these kind of comments as I offer advice on gear based on personal experience and value that from others. I will certainly be careful about the specs. you mention.

I am looking hard at a Lifetimer, good reputation, just do not want a fiberglass boat and have used many of them, and they have pretty much what I want and can/will add the few accessories I will want. A 17.5-18' deep vee hull is fine for any uses I will ever put this to, I am not one for buying more than I need...well, except classic 20thC. hunting rifles....but, hey, only Gatehouse is "purrfect" , eh! :)

Johnnybear
07-13-2010, 04:54 PM
Those Lifetimers are a nice boat DB. Still a small enough outfit that they can do very nice custom work and make your boat they way you want it. There have been alot of good suggestions posted up. I would go with a main and a kicker as well. Hydraulic steering is a must along with the steering rod tying the two together. Lifetimers newer runabout's are deeper v'd than past models and the entry is significantly deeper than past models.

The other thing I like about lifetimers is most of the smaller boats have no paint. You can add things later on without things looking messy. Very pratical. Just hose her out and clean her up and your done.

Here's a link to a good alloy boat site for your research.

http://www.aluminumalloyboats.com/index.php

Quite a few builders from around the world on there some local builders that post up once in a while too.