PDA

View Full Version : kamloops coyote

dougster
07-11-2010, 06:59 PM
so.... i hate coyotes... with a passion.... and am wondering if anyone knows a good place around kamloops to...... harvest them

boxhitch
07-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Maybe you need help with your hatred issues
What prompted that ?
Coyotes are good for keeping rodent numbers in check

dougster
07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
there has been issues with family and family friends pets.... and a buddy of mine just lost a horse due to a chase and leg break issue

Surrey Boy
07-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Coyotes are not in any need of protection. Good for target practice, skinning practice, tanning practice, and putting behind the passenger side wheel of your mother's car so she runs it over in the morning and thinks she killed it. Also good for getting out anger issues, but maybe don't speak so openly about it. Write a letter to the MoE asking for them to be added to schedule C.

dougster
07-11-2010, 07:53 PM
great idea, My wife is a biologist so i will get her to get some numbers and facts for me.... hopefully they get added to sched c next synapsis

boxhitch
07-11-2010, 07:53 PM
there has been issues with family and family friends pets.... and a buddy of mine just lost a horse due to a chase and leg break issueThat'll do it
Talk to a ranch owner, they usually have issues especially at calving time.
Or anywhere along Kamloops Lake, open slopes are good areas for calling.

Surrey Boy
07-11-2010, 08:01 PM
great idea, My wife is a biologist so i will get her to get some numbers and facts for me.... hopefully they get added to sched c next synapsis

You are so lucky! Every new animal I kill is like a biology lesson, and your wife is into it professionally. I swear that highschool dissections are part of what got me into hunting.

dougster
07-11-2010, 08:10 PM
yeah.. she is more morbid than i am, lol i get to shoot the animal and she wants to be part of the gutting.... if i can talk her into packing it out and quartering it i am set

BlacktailStalker
07-11-2010, 09:57 PM
So you plan on eating them ?
Forget the coyotes, kill some wolves if you want to really help ranchers/ungulates/dogs etc.

J-F
07-11-2010, 11:42 PM
True that there are more and more wolves in our region. And they are getting closer to town. No hysteria or panic here, but unless they get numerous enough, wolves stay away from the humans and their noisy engines

Last Fall, I have seen wolf tracks in two of my hunting spots close to town. Both places are 30-40 minutes from downtown, and on most days you still hear trains and other sounds from the city. On my last day deer hunting last year (December 6th or something like that... it was bloody cold!), I saw a doe and fawn run toward me, from 400 to about 75 yards. The doe was hissing at something... Was she running away from an insistent buck? That's what I was hoping but none showed up. I did a long loop to eventually come back where those two had passed, and sure enough, there was a wolf track along theirs, fresh from that morning.

Talk to ranchers from the region, most have lost cattle to wolves. Coyotes are indeed good against small rodents, but they take their share of small dogs and cats in town and they are murder to newborn calves in the Spring.

Pete
07-12-2010, 04:25 AM
So you plan on eating them ?
Forget the coyotes, kill some wolves if you want to really help ranchers/ungulates/dogs etc.

Wolves are only part of the problem. In a recent symposium in Victoria it was point out to all there that the biggest single predator on ALL unguate species, deer, moose, elk and cariboo was bears. Both Blacks and Grizzly. Almost 50% of the ungulates are taken by Bears in a 6 week period, early June through July

shed-hunter1
07-12-2010, 07:24 AM
so what are you gone to do once you shoot the coyote

paw325
07-12-2010, 10:32 AM
doug

If you would like to tag along this winter, send me a pm.