PDA

View Full Version : pellet gun hunting

FlyFishBC
07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
is it legal to hunt class c animals anywhere with a pellet gun less than 500 fps?

Steeleco
07-11-2010, 02:26 PM
I suppose "anywhere" that normal legal hunting is allowed the answer should be yes? BUT you can't hunt anything with a pistol of any kind, also, certain municipal bylaws prohibit hunting of any kind. Only blocks away here in Langley, there's a field that's rife with cottontails. Not a damn thing we can do about it.

Barracuda
07-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I suppose "anywhere" that normal legal hunting is allowed the answer should be yes? BUT you can't hunt anything with a pistol of any kind, also, certain municipal bylaws prohibit hunting of any kind. Only blocks away here in Langley, there's a field that's rife with cottontails. Not a damn thing we can do about it.

You need a whippet :mrgreen:

Watching a sighthound run a Rabbit on open ground is something that takes your breath away.

knighthunter
07-11-2010, 04:40 PM
You need a whippet :mrgreen:

Watching a sighthound run a Rabbit on open ground is something that takes your breath away.

Or a long pole with a snare tied on the end of it. We used to snare grouse that way when we were kids.

Surrey Boy
07-11-2010, 07:15 PM

We're not allowed to hunt in Langley? How did you find that out?

UncleJesse
07-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Recently my son and I have been taking care of a ground squirrel problem on a 5 acre parcel out of town but with very close residences all the way around. His Daisy Grizzly @ 490 fps is good for maiming them - fortunately we had a dog with us that really loved the sport... he would wait with us and when we hit one he'd run to it and kill it immediately... and if it was a baby it would be gone in one gulp... adults were more a store it and go get it later proposition. He was a very happy dog. Apparently they are very tasty to him!

Steeleco
07-11-2010, 09:42 PM
We're not allowed to hunt in Langley? How did you find that out?

I could be a little off, but it's been bantered here in the past.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24890&highlight=3001

Gun Dog
07-12-2010, 08:28 AM
You can hunt, but you can't discharge a firearm unless you're protecting crops or livestock. (Bylaw 1991 #3001 amendment bylaw 2005 #4427)

Surrey Boy
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
You can hunt, but you can't discharge a firearm unless you're protecting crops or livestock. (Bylaw 1991 #3001 amendment bylaw 2005 #4427)

That's how I've always understood it too.

Steeleco
07-12-2010, 12:27 PM
So an air rifle under the 500fps rule is legal? That's great, too bad the spot is too close to a whole slew of newer housing. I'm sure we'd be paid a visit from the boys in blue!!

Gun Dog
07-12-2010, 12:43 PM
The bylaw might include pellet guns. You have to call the township and ask.

Surrey Boy
07-12-2010, 03:26 PM
There's a charge called "mischief" which basically allows you to be prosecuted because the cops don't like you. That's what you'll be arrested for.

jessbennett
07-12-2010, 04:02 PM
There's a charge called "mischief" which basically allows you to be prosecuted because the cops don't like you. That's what you'll be arrested for.

how is it mischief if its legal? if the bylaw doesnt state pellet rifles then it would be legal. what about a bow?

Surrey Boy
07-12-2010, 04:07 PM
how is it mischief if its legal? if the bylaw doesnt state pellet rifles then it would be legal. what about a bow?

Criminal Code section 430 subsection c, interfering with the enjoyment of property. All you have to do is something that offends someone while they're at home.

Surrey Boy
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Or read section 175. That's where we get loitering as a crime.

jessbennett
07-12-2010, 04:12 PM
Or read section 175. That's where we get loitering as a crime.

honestly it doesnt really matter to me, i dont live there, i was just asking a simple question thats all.:?. i have a whole new respect for my opportunities to hunt big mulies in city limits.:mrgreen:. 5 min drive to save on...... so small town living has a few perks.....:wink:

Surrey Boy
07-12-2010, 04:19 PM
It matters if you're a bear huntin, deer chasin,moose callin, fly castin 4xin, $hit disturbin, b.s. callin, s.o.b. with really uptight neighbours and a bored police force in your city.:-D

jessbennett
07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
It matters if you're a bear huntin, deer chasin,moose callin, fly castin 4xin, $hit disturbin, b.s. callin, s.o.b. with really uptight neighbours and a bored police force in your city.:-D

im not deer hunting beside someones house or anything.....:mrgreen: its within a few minutes i assure you but legal in all aspects. actually a friend of mine had someone harassing him while he was bowhunting in the similar area, and he reported it, the person got a warning that if they kept it up, they can get charged with disruption of a lawfull hunt.

technically if its legal,and your not breaking any laws theres not a dam thing that can be done about it. just because someone complains about something, it doesnt mean that your going to get arrested. heck my neighbors dog barks all the time and it makes me uncomfortable. the police arent going to arrest him for it!

Surrey Boy
07-12-2010, 04:33 PM
im not deer hunting beside someones house or anything.....:mrgreen: its within a few minutes i assure you but legal in all aspects. actually a friend of mine had someone harassing him while he was bowhunting in the similar area, and he reported it, the person got a warning that if they kept it up, they can get charged with disruption of a lawfull hunt.

I'm glad to know that the RCMP uses discretion and good judgement in Williams Lake. In the Lower Mainland not always, and I'm not trying my chances in court. I look like Ted Kaczinski.

jessbennett
07-12-2010, 04:34 PM
I'm glad to know that the RCMP uses discretion and good judgement in Williams Lake. In the Lower Mainland not always, and I'm not trying my chances in court. I look like Ted Kaczinski.

i can see your point then. :mrgreen:

steelheadSABO
07-12-2010, 04:43 PM
make a big pile of birdseed in your backyard with a good backstop.Buy a carton of pellets make yourself comfortable in a chair that is not in plain view of the birdseed or neihbors. sit and wait you'll see crows starling squirrels all come in for a snack have fun.

llloyd
07-12-2010, 04:52 PM
Only blocks away here in Langley, there's a field that's rife with cottontails. Not a damn thing we can do about it.

Where is this? My dog needs a good walk :evil:

Surrey Boy
07-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Where is this? My dog needs a good walk :evil:

Walk across that Golden Ears bridge so you don't pay the toll, then come southeast through the power lines and regional trails. They're everywhere.