PDA

View Full Version : fish and chips

BigfishCanada
07-11-2010, 10:57 AM
I really want to try a fish and chip recipe for the trout at my lake, we have Rainbows and Brooks. Does anyone have a recipe on how to cook like an english style fish and chip batter? Ill get a deep fryer going outside the cabins? Has anyone tried this? Recipes would be grateful,

I wonder what would be the choice over brook and rainbow, the locals tell me the brooks are oilier? (i usually catch and release)

Chris
bclakefronst.com
Luxury lakefront fishing/hunting cabins

tim3500
07-12-2010, 07:35 AM
Just use Fish Crisp you can pick it up at almost any sports store or major grocery store very popular I use it with Salmon works great should work with trout but it has to be deboned very well bones really turn people off so just use it on larger ones

swamper
07-12-2010, 07:39 AM
I make a batter from self rising flour and beer. Mix the two until slightly runny and then dip you fish in it and place in deep fryer. If you like you can put some spice in the flour to give it a bit more flavor. Cook unitl the batter is a nice golden brown color.

Caveman
07-12-2010, 07:58 AM
Canadian Tire sells a couple I've been meaning to try. Looks good on the package anyways

Chuck
07-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Just use Fish Crisp you can pick it up at almost any sports store or major grocery store very popular I use it with Salmon works great should work with trout but it has to be deboned very well bones really turn people off so just use it on larger ones

It's the bones that make the smaller fish unsuitable for this style of cooking. If it wasn't for that little snag - I think any fish would do, if it were not too oily. Ya!

Gateholio
07-12-2010, 09:21 AM
I've never tried deep frying a trout,but salmon is too oily for F&C. SOme people love it, but it turns me right off.

I'd rather coat a trout in some breadcrumbs and pan fry. But if you are going ot do it anyway, use the rainbows if they have less oil in them.

ruger#1
07-12-2010, 09:49 AM
My mom used to deep fry trout, If i remember correctly, You can eat the bones. She also deep fried catfish. I liked it better then the trout.

blackwater moose
07-12-2010, 09:58 AM
use a tempura batter. yum-yum. don't forget the cold pops. lolol

muzzy
07-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Cut trout (rainbow not slimey brook trout) into desired sized pieces and make sure all bones are out..When you fillet trout you can use needle nose pliers to remove pin bones along length of fillets like you would a salmon..

1 egg
1 c warm stale beer
1 c flour
1 1/8 tsp baking powder
1 c flour
3/4 tsp salt
3/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix all ingredients, pat fish pieces dry and dip into batter. Fry in 2 " of hot oil turning as necessary to a golden brown..

Kudu
07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
I really want to try a fish and chip recipe for the trout at my lake, we have Rainbows and Brooks. Does anyone have a recipe on how to cook like an english style fish and chip batter? Ill get a deep fryer going outside the cabins? Has anyone tried this? Recipes would be grateful,

I wonder what would be the choice over brook and rainbow, the locals tell me the brooks are oilier? (i usually catch and release)

Chris
bclakefronst.com

Fish and chips for me has to be done with cod or simmilar white - sea fish.

Trout and salmon just dont do it for me as traditional fish and chips.

However there is a hell of a lot more to trout than just steaming or pan frying.

TROUT ALMONDINE

8 to 12 trout fillets
Milk to cover
2 tsp. salt
4 drops Tabasco
1 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil

Soak fillets in a mixture of milk and Tabasco sauce for several hours. Season flour with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Remove fillets from milk as needed and dip in flour, shaking off excess flour. In an electric skillet at 375 degrees, fry fillets until golden brown in the butter and oil. Do a few at a time, and as cooked place on a warm platter or cookie sheet and keep warm in the oven until ready to serve. These may be kept in a warm oven up to 3 hours.

SAUCE:
1 c. butter
1/2 c. almonds, sliced
2 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. parsley, chopped

Prepare sauce by melting butter and lightly browning almonds in butter. Add lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt and parsley. Mix and heat well. Just before serving, pour some sauce over trout and serve remaining sauce separately. If the sauce is made ahead of time, add the almonds at the last minute so they will remain crunchy.

————————————————————

STUFFED TROUT

Seasonings:
Pepper
garlic powder
seasoned salt
parsley
sweet basil

STUFFING:
1 box UNCLE BEN’S® long grain and wild rice mix
1/2 lb. breakfast sausage
1 med. green pepper
1 med. onion
2 plum tomatoes
1/3 lb. mushrooms

Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
In a large skillet, cook the breakfast sausage until browned through, cutting it into small pieces with spatula as sausage cooks. Remove sausage.

Dice the vegetables. Add the onion, green pepper and mushrooms to the remaining grease, cooking until onions turn clear. Drain grease, add the rice and tomatoes. Stir.

Rub the trout inside and out with the seasonings. Stuff the trout with the rice and vegetable mixture. Cook in a preheated 325 F. oven about 35-40 minutes or until trout separates easily from bone with a fork.
Serves 4.

———————————————————-

BACON WRAPPED TROUT

3/4 c. melted butter
1 pkg. dry onion soup mix
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 lb. trout
1/2 lb. bacon

Combine butter, soup mix, pepper. Spread trout with mixture and wrap bacon sliced about them. Secure with toothpicks. Cook 10 minutes per side or until meat flakes easily.

----------------------------------------

Trout Jerky

Ingredients
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 pound trout strips

Instructions

Mix all ingredients together with the exception of strips. Allow the ingredients at least 15 minutes for flavors to blend. Add strips. Marinate at least one hour. For longer marinating time, place in the refrigerator in a covered container or in an airtight plastic bag. Remove from marinade and place in a drying environment.
As the oil beaded up during the drying process, pat it off. I turned the fish strips over once during the drying process.

---------------------------------------

Chili Pepper Smoked Trout

INGREDIENTS:

4 medium size trout, cleaned
8 green chili peppers, cut open with the seeds removed
1 lemon cut into thin slices, peel on
4 cloves garlic, cut into four pieces each
ground black pepper

PREPARATION:

Prepare smoker for a 3 hour smoke. Wash fish and remove all bones. Open and place inside 2 chilies, 2 slices of lemon and 1 clove of garlic. Place in smoker for 3 hours. When it’s finished remove the stuffing and serve.

Barracuda
07-12-2010, 11:10 AM
i alwas think of F&C as some kind of white flesh fish. Cod,Shark halibut, crispy catfish,butterfish etc...

never been a salmon fan but sometimes it is nice but nowhere as nice as white flesh fish

great now i want some for dinner:)

Kudu
07-12-2010, 11:17 AM
i alwas think of F&C as some kind of white flesh fish. Cod,Shark halibut, crispy catfish,butterfish etc...

never been a salmon fan but sometimes it is nice but nowhere as nice as white flesh fish

great now i want some for dinner:)

I bet you are going to love the "Flake" when you get down to the Antipodes.

moose hide
07-12-2010, 09:04 PM

Chris
bclakefronst.com

Hi Chris, I've used beer batter for years. Nothing better than a fresh fish done on the shores of the lake. We have done a fish fry with Ling Cod--Lake Trout and Rainbow Trout all in the same meal. The Cod was by far my favourate. Am leaving for Takla Lake in a week to do this again.
I use a recipe with baking powder and baking soda in it. IF you look up COOKS.COM . UNDER BEER BATTER - lOOK FOR A RECIPE WITH THESE TWO INGREDIANTS AND YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.. Good luck. MOOSE HIDE