PDA

View Full Version : Are Geese and Duck good?

kamloopshunter
07-11-2010, 08:59 AM
Hey I am going to start hunting duck and geese this fall. In your experience is it an acquired taste? A lot of people say prairie birds are good because of grain fed but out here they are awful. I am all set up for it and know some good areas but want to know what you guys/girls think.

Bow Walker
07-11-2010, 09:06 AM
I've lived on the coast all my life and have hunted/eaten ducks and geese all during that time. Acquired taste? I'd say no.

We cook them as we would a stuffed chicken or turkey - basic bread stuffing and roasted int he oven. Great fare.

I've also hunted and eaten ducks from the Merritt area. Exceptional fare. Ducks that would be considered 'double-enders' (shitters) down here are very good eating up there...no coastal seafood influence.

Hunt, kill, and eat with confidence.

Benthos
07-11-2010, 09:36 AM
i love to duck hunt, but the taste is 'so-so' to me. i much prefer grouse, moose and deer.

i generally use lot's of sauce and let it simmer to allow the meat to absorb some of that flavour. works out well. don't overcook the meat. medium to medium-rare

MichelD
07-11-2010, 09:44 AM
Canada goose is my wife's absolute favourite game meat. I like 'em too but a big fat mallard is darn good. Cook as Bow Walker said, but we often stuff with a bit of onion and apples.

I love hunting pintails on the beach, but they seem to be fishy here, at least after they've been on the coast for a while.

Marc
07-11-2010, 11:06 AM
It's a hit or miss some people like it and others don't I guess people are used to eating white meat birds and not dark meat. If you've eaten tame duck and goose well the flavour is a bit stronger in the wild variety but definitely not as fat or greasy as tame birds.

What you need to do it get someone who has been hunting them for a while to cook you one up so you know what the bird should taste like. Some like it medium rare I prefer mine more roasted well where the meat strings like chicken. Toss the carrots, potatoes,onions, and spices and your ready to go.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/duck_a_la_Marc.JPG

Steeleco
07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I took up bird hunting last fall with the help of a few good guys here on HBC, I only got 2 ducks but they tasted fantastic. Now I have to figure this goose thingy out!

Ian F.
07-11-2010, 07:58 PM
If you like steak, you'll like duck, BUT, you need to learn to cook it. I like it rare and rare it is very beef like, med well and more it changes, and then when cooked long till break down it changes a again...

If it's not your thing right off, sausages and pepperettes work for all. My duckaroni disappears very quickly!

Just keep an open mind and try it.

If you're in the lower mainland, I'll cook you a duck meal and show you some tips, that goes for anyone btw!

Ian

Crazy_Farmer
07-11-2010, 08:01 PM
So does that mean if I give you all my birds you'll cook them for me Ian?? :mrgreen: Sounds like a sweet deal lol. :tongue:

I guess if its picture time then...Geez I'm getting hungry just looking at these pictures.

Roasted mallard, and bacon wrapped teal breasts.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/dec6th18.jpg

Geese legs in Honey Garlic and hot sauce.

http://members.shaw.ca/stevensml/hunting/feb%2014th3.jpg

BBQ mallard

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f52/Crazy_Farmer/sept5th5.jpg

sparkes3
07-11-2010, 08:02 PM
excellent table fare in my books

Ian F.
07-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Adam, I'll certainly cook you a meal! It's my mission to show folks how good these critters we get taste! Once folks eat it and like it everything changes. I can't tell you the number of people who's minds I've changed about hunting by giving them some well prepared food. Using what I take is 1/2 the fun for me in this game of ours...

Did I give you any of the duck sausage with sage and roast garlic?

Ian

Crazy_Farmer
07-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I think so. Two sausages we fried up and had with breakfast. And I think a few pepperoni aswell. Always neat to see what others do with their birds. Just gives options and find better recipes.

Kevin So
07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
wigeon sandwiches....hmmmm can't wait till season opens and get me some this year.

blindman
07-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Crazy Farmer, those BBQ'd breasts look fantastic and I've never tried that method. Mind sharing your process?

As Ian stated, duck flavor is highly dependent on the cooking technique. Too long and it tastes horrible and the best is really rare for tenderness and lack of wildness. If I have to slather meat in something in order to eat it, I won't even bother to cook it. I've been known to choke down liver with healthy globs of catsup in order to prevent starvation but that isn't my choice of main course meat. Does this invitation for a waterfowl meal include an introduction to Sea Ducks Ian or would that not be the best bird to start with?

Ian F.
07-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Ken,

If you want scoter sammies, I'll make em for you! When I had good days gunning eiders back east and needed to keep my possession in check I' do up a huge batch and feed the students on a field trip. Never had any leftovers! One problem though, I only have puddler and brant in the freezer right now, so you'll have to wait till we get some season under our belt.

Ian

buck nash
07-16-2010, 10:56 AM
Goose breast reminds me of beef and it works great in a stew. I tricked some friends who were squeemish about wild meat into trying it by telling them it was beef stew and they never caught on til I told them.

kamloopshunter
07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Thank you all so much. I am going to give it a try this year. I have to feel justified in buying a nice shotgun.:mrgreen: My dad's friend said that they cut a turkey and goose down the middle and stuff each half. When they cook the halves together the flavor from both really makes for a good Thanksgiving meal. Have any of you tried this? Thanks again. We got a good community here on HBC.