PDA

View Full Version : LEH Training/Hiking in LM

llloyd
07-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Won a goat hunt up in golden so I've started doing some training to get in better shape, hikes up Golden Ears that kind of thing.

What kind of hiking or training are you doing for your goat or sheep hunts? Also if anyone is looking for someone to go with, I'm interested, especially Maple Ridge and surrounding area.

digger dogger
07-11-2010, 08:39 AM
If your into a drive to Chilliwack, try the elk view trail off the Bench R.D.
A little further up chilli lake road there is Lindeman/Green drop lakes. Lindeman,lk is a good spot for a over night pack in. Try giving it a google.
It's a peaceful place, without too much traffic!

Tarp Man
07-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Digger dogger,

You must be kidding about Lindemann right? That one trail on a sunny day can have 20-30 cars parked at the trailhead. The lake campsites are a notorious party spot. It is amazing what gets packed in there and left. Paintball and airsoft parties, pyro idiots, plus kids with machetes and hatchets attacking the trees... no place to go in the summer if looking for solitude and peace. However, the trailhead just up the Lindemann Lake trail for Flora will provide you with an impressive dose of steep up and down. Google earth will show the grunt this is. If you want a decent overnight trip, Flora is one (it can be done in a longer day hike of 7-10 hours). Also look to the south side of the Chilliwack River Valley to Radium Lake and Pierce Lake. Both those trails have some kick to them and fewer people.

As for Maple Ridge/Mission hikes, Golden Ears is the best. Decent steepness, you can go as far as you want, not as many people as Chilliwack. Mission also has some great hikes too. If you stop in at the Forestry office in Mission on Dewdeny Trunk Road they have lots of maps.

Buck
07-11-2010, 01:32 PM
The Monroe lake trail of Quarry rd in Poco is steep and 1000 metres.When i go next i will PM you.

Kid Hunter
07-11-2010, 01:58 PM
If your into a drive to Chilliwack, try the elk view trail off the Bench R.D.
A little further up chilli lake road there is Lindeman/Green drop lakes. Lindeman,lk is a good spot for a over night pack in. Try giving it a google.
It's a peaceful place, without too much traffic!

Well I find Lindeman to have quite a few people there especially on nice weekends. But Greendrop lake is around 1.5-2 more hours hike past Lindeman lake and there's a lot less people there and it's a really nice lake. I did an overnight hike there last summer and me and my friends did some fishing there too. Some decent sized rainbow trout there if you're interested. It's not really a difficult hike but there are some parts where it is challenging. Like others said google it.

Ubertuber
07-11-2010, 03:32 PM
For a quick workout try the Dewdney Grind (south trail).
I steer clear of Lindamen and Greendrop, they're too busy for me and no where near comparable to a hike in the Golden area. Flora is a good hike, but Pierce would be my choice of the two. Your legs will be burning, just like they will be on your upcoming goat hunt.

blackbart
07-11-2010, 08:21 PM
Drive to the bottom of any "local mtn", park your vehicle and hike up where there are no trails. This will simulate goat hunting much, much, much better than utilizing a granola trail.

Getting used to brush and blowdown in you face is as important as the fitness gained from walking up trails.

Have fun chasing the Mountain Antelope.

digger dogger
07-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Well, I wasn't kidding about lindemin lake!! But i haven't been there on a weekend either.. Been there 4 times and saw minimal people.

Mtn Wonderer
07-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Pierce has the bagg for the buck as far as a hiking trail in the Chwk Valley
for steepness and length.

But if you want to simulate a goat hunt I would head up to williamson lake
its above foley lake. It sees very little traffic (usually only climbers) not much of a trail last time I did it, Up through the old growth and into the alpine you'll run into a bit of a trail above the tree line.
Once at the lake, head for the col between welsh and foley peaks check out the Glacier up there, cool.

You'll likely see a goat or two so you can work on the (is it a Billy?? thing)
I saw a group 25 in the area last fall.

Lastly rumors of a grizz in the area as well I may have see one last year:mrgreen: no quite sure though. Could have been a massive colour phase black, but I am not quite sure, couldn't get a close enough look at him, I did try thou.

MTW

BearStump
07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Pierce has the bagg for the buck as far as a hiking trail in the Chwk Valley
for steepness and length.

But if you want to simulate a goat hunt I would head up to williamson lake
its above foley lake. It sees very little traffic (usually only climbers) not much of a trail last time I did it, Up through the old growth and into the alpine you'll run into a bit of a trail above the tree line.
Once at the lake, head for the col between welsh and foley peaks check out the Glacier up there, cool.

You'll likely see a goat or two so you can work on the (is it a Billy?? thing)
I saw a group 25 in the area last fall.

Lastly rumors of a grizz in the area as well I may have see one last year:mrgreen: no quite sure though. Could have been a massive colour phase black, but I am not quite sure, couldn't get a close enough look at him, I did try thou.

MTW
I think I know the bear you are talking about. I also saw it, in that area you're talkin about, and thought it was a grizz. But a guy I used to work with shot it this spring and I believe it turned out at 6'11" color phase blackie.

BiG Boar
07-12-2010, 06:45 AM
I think I know the bear you are talking about. I also saw it, in that area you're talkin about, and thought it was a grizz. But a guy I used to work with shot it this spring and I believe it turned out at 6'11" color phase blackie.

PICTURES???

LOC
07-12-2010, 08:27 AM
Well I find Lindeman to have quite a few people there especially on nice weekends. But Greendrop lake is around 1.5-2 more hours hike past Lindeman lake and there's a lot less people there and it's a really nice lake. I did an overnight hike there last summer and me and my friends did some fishing there too. Some decent sized rainbow trout there if you're interested. It's not really a difficult hike but there are some parts where it is challenging. Like others said google it.

Same parking lot as Lindeman and Greendrop but I would suggest trying Flora lake.

Very steep, a lot less people than either of the other two lakes, and it has decent fishing too :)