PDA

View Full Version : Feral Cattle On The Q.C.I.

6 K
07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Well since the L E H fairy did not bring me or my lovely bride anything:cry: I am giving serious thought to going to the Charlottes to put some meat in the freezer. I have been there numerous times and know I‘ll find them black tailed rascals, however I was wondering if anyone out there could give me any info on the feral cattle on the north island. When my dad lived over there he told me about them but I never really believed that one could “wander down to the beach and blast somebody’s cow”:???: :roll:. I am curious about: numbers (does a guy have a reasonable chance to get one in three to four days), where to find them, whom to get permission from (to shoot one or cross onto or over private property), where a guy could hang or get it cut. Normally I hunt the south island as my dad lived in Sandspit. Thus I have used the butcher at Supervalu for all my deer needs but am unsure if they will take a cow.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
6 K

boxhitch
07-10-2010, 11:35 PM
Never been there, but it seems basic
There has to be an open season for listed wildlife to have a lawful hunt.
Have never seen beef cows listed as wildlife.
so what a private landowner lets you do on his property to his livestock isn't covered in the hunting regs.
good luck with the blacktails though

MEATEATER
07-11-2010, 12:28 AM
I live on the north Island and I can assure you there are no cows just wondering around with targets on them. I think your thinking of Knights inlet there was on old homested up there and when the people left they let the cows go. Last I heard people were still seeing them but you would need a boat and Im sure the Indians up there would not be very happy with you lol. Your probably better off to go to Q.C.I and besides I think the possession limit is 7 now so that would be more fun. Good luck

325 wsm
07-11-2010, 07:34 AM
"wild" cattle on the north east end of the island north of Naikoon park area. tough to find. None in the farmers fields. Probably easier to find one of the elk there. Butcher shop in QC city. Good luck!

RiverOtter
07-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Never been there, but it seems basic
There has to be an open season for listed wildlife to have a lawful hunt.
Have never seen beef cows listed as wildlife.
so what a private landowner lets you do on his property to his livestock isn't covered in the hunting regs.
good luck with the blacktails though

I sure hope that isn't taken the wrong way..........:mrgreen::mrgreen::twisted:

silvicon
07-11-2010, 09:56 AM
why dont you try for elk on QCI?

Camp Cook
07-11-2010, 10:10 AM
In the late 70's I used to be a partner in a shop in Sandspit and heard about these cows back then I even headed out looking for them.

Never found any, never found any sign of any...

Gave up and forgot about them until this thread... :D

jethrobuddy
07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
I have heard of them....They call them beach deer!!!!!!

Clint_S
07-12-2010, 05:21 PM
When I was 14 (39 years ago) my dad mounted an expedition to strike it rich by heading to the charlottes to capture some of these free cattle.
Him, me and his ranch partner headed over with a wagon and some horses. We cut trail to the west coast and after about 3 weeks all we had to show was a calf we snared and a it's momma we roped.
To much of an adventure to detail here but it was something I will never forget and those cattle were wary as elk and the bulls were some mean.
The highlight was finding an old homestead circa early 1900 that looked as though buddy walked out the door and just never came back.

6 K
07-12-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys,
Ya I knew it couldn't be that easy,:-| but I must say I have heard it from a few different sorces that they can be got.
Seemed like a way of getting more meat and variety out of the trip.
I apprecieate the help
6 K