PDA

View Full Version : selfbows

FlyFishBC
07-10-2010, 03:59 PM
does any body here hunt with selfbows? type of wood? the process of making one, any success stories?

Lil Bow Pete
07-12-2010, 10:41 PM
I have built two ash selfbows. I plan to hunt with one this season. I killed a deer with a home made hickory bow last season. It is backed with fibre glass cloth and epoxy, so it doesn't count as a selfbow. For info on making one google selfbows. That's what I did. Got all the info I needed. Expect a few failures before you get it right. Be warned. Building bows is very addictive.

randyhood
10-24-2010, 12:34 AM
Yep, I still shoot the 3rd and best selfbow I have made. It is also backed with fiberglass and epoxy, but I think it still counts :). Like Pete says, Google it, and expect a few failures. I would recommend buying a bow stave off eBay, rather than doing a board bow. I have broken and/or cracked 3 board bows, and not a single stave bow. Ask me anything, and I'll try to answer.

FlyFishBC
10-24-2010, 10:46 AM
have you ever tried cutting your own stave?

randyhood
10-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Yes, I cut a birch stave a few years ago. Haven't turned it into a bow yet though. Main problem with that is you have to find a good hardwood tree, which can be hard to find. I don't think birch will make a great bow.

ratherbefishin
10-24-2010, 05:52 PM
My father made yew bows,and they turned out pretty well,as I recall,he split the stave then joined it with a finger joint to each side was the same.

Lil Bow Pete
10-25-2010, 04:32 PM
Got a whitetail with an ash selfbow a couple of weeks ago. It can be done. The building the bow is the hard part but it sure is fun. The dead deer won't know the differance between a selfbow and a thousand dollar wheely cabled arrow launcher.

M@B
11-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Best books on the subject that I have read are "the traditional bowyers bible" volumes 1 through 4 and billits to bows. Chapters can order them in for you. if you really want to build a good self bow these books are as handy as a draw knife.

J_T
11-02-2010, 05:44 AM
There are lots of selfbow bowyers & shooters out there. Most that I know who frequented this site, were bullied off eventually. It's a different head space and a different attitude. It generally isn't well received on here.