PDA

View Full Version : The generic HBC gear thread

Sneaky Snake
07-10-2010, 12:57 PM
I’ve noticed that regardless of specific inquiry, there are some responses that are pretty much guaranteed in gear threads, especially to do with mountain hunting. I thought I’d save some time for those who want to find and/or provide advice. So if you need gear, look no further for an initial response. Need further info??? Start another thread with your specifics. Cheers all!

#1 Boots – BCrams, BlacktailStalker and a few others will rant about how terrible Meindle Canada Pros are. Just as many others will say they love their Canada Pros. Big Whiteys and Devilbear will tell you all about Hanwags. Devilbear may just mention custom Van Gorkums…There will be a few others who chime in in favor of Lowa, Kennetrek, Scarpa, Danner, etc. etc.

#2Packs – Devilbear will rant about Mystery Ranch, referring to his extensive experience, using CAPS all too frequently to get his point across. BCRams will tell you to check out the Barney. SSS will complain about his Wilderness Wanderer. A couple others will say their WW has served them well. Eberlestock will surely come into the discussion. Badlands may even get a mention. Someone may even risk humiliation by mentioning they still use, and are happy with their Camp Trails pack frame and Moose Bag!!!

#3 Tents – Devilbear will again rant. This time about Hilleberg and Integral Designs. A few votes for Mountain Hardwear, MSR, Sierra Designs etc. and a couple guys will tell you to check out floorless teepees, such as those made by Kifaru. A couple idiots who’ve never hunted in the mountains will suggest that a tarp is all you need.

#4 Sleeping bags – Another rant from Devilbear (yawn). This time about Western Mountaineering, Integral Designs, and, on occasion, Valandre. There will be just as many guys in the pro down team as the pro synthetic fill team. Others brands mentioned will surely be Marmot, Taiga, Sierra Designs, North Face, the list goes on. Take your pick.

#5 Glass – BigWhiteys will tell you about the Swaros his dad gave him, and the great deal he got on his giant 85mm Zeiss Diascope. Bow Walker will tell you to buy Vortex. SitkaSpruce will tell you about the Leupold Gold Rings and how he loves them. Fisher Dude will stroke his ego and tell you anything other than Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski is absolute junk – and that without one of those names on the side you won’t be able to find anything respectable enough to shoot. If looking for entry level spotter, Bushell Elite will be recommended more than all others combined.

Jetboater
07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
at least Bcrams and SSS will show you picks of what they have killed using thier products....

spear
07-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I just remind myself the old timers were hunting high and long, shooting trophies with nothing but wool clothing and a 30-06.

mark
07-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Hey Sneaky....I know one thing for sure...for a guy that doesnt post much you sure do read and pay attention to this forum!

You summed that up pretty darn good!

Chuck
07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Very acute observation. Have you ever watched "Cheers" and can you see the similarities? HBC is one of my favorite sitcoms as well.

BromBones
07-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Devilbear will rant about Mystery Ranch, referring to his extensive experience, using CAPS all too frequently to get his point across.

This got a few chuckles out of me.:-D

BlacktailStalker
07-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Thats pretty funny.
Canada pros are shit, dont forget it.

Always wondered if Devilbear got paid for promoting the above as well as bow walker for vortex.
Regardless, they are opinions and have likely helped many if not just passed some idle time for others.

Here's a challenge Sneaky snake, simplify all of Jelvis' writings :lol:

Sitkaspruce
07-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Did I mention that....

I really love my Leupolds!!!!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::wink:

Great summary post, probably the first of many to come!!!!

Cheers

SS

ytlogger
07-10-2010, 05:41 PM
Now that's funny! #3 what about the hammock?

NaStY
07-10-2010, 08:57 PM
HMM I sense a troll in the making?

The Hermit
07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Now I have to search all 6 of Sneaky Snakes posts!!! LOL

CabinFever
07-10-2010, 09:13 PM
HMM I sense a troll in the making?

Maybe, but with posts like this one he'll be fun while he lasts!

BlacktailStalker
07-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Now I have to search all 6 of Sneaky Snakes posts!!! LOL

I did that already lol

ElectricDyck
07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Funny and true, but who is the real Sneaky Snake?

Sneaky Snake
07-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Here's a challenge Sneaky snake, simplify all of Jelvis' writings :lol:

Ever notice how hilarious your friends are when you're all partying and consuming the same booze/other mind altering substances...and how annoying the same guys are if you're the only sober one in the bunch???

landphil
07-11-2010, 11:41 AM
That was a good read - can we make it a sticky in the gear thread? It would certainly save some searching!:wink: Maybe you could add ammo/bullets to your list. (the blue box federals vs TSX/TTSX and other cool bullets:wink:)

Stone Sheep Steve
07-11-2010, 03:36 PM
Anyone want to buy a Wildernesss Wanderer?? Best pack ever made!:wink:

SSS

Benthos
07-11-2010, 04:30 PM
this thread is some funny sh!t

Tenacious Billy
07-12-2010, 02:48 PM
this thread is some funny sh!t

A great thread indeed!

Gateholio
07-12-2010, 02:55 PM
A great thread indeed!

Interesting...................

Fawndler
07-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Best post ever... Sneaky Snake, you are a keen observer of human foibles, with a wit that cuts like a knife.

07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
That was a good read - can we make it a sticky in the gear thread? It would certainly save some searching!:wink: Maybe you could add ammo/bullets to your list. (the blue box federals vs TSX/TTSX and other cool bullets:wink:)

Good idea!

TSW
07-13-2010, 11:56 PM
I also enjoy the "which bore cleaner should I use?" thread. I like to try to guess the amount of posts it will take before someone whips out the "WIPEOUT" as the trump card, followed by everyone else putting "x2" afterwards.

ytlogger
07-14-2010, 06:55 AM
I also enjoy the "which bore cleaner should I use?" thread. I like to try to guess the amount of posts it will take before someone whips out the "WIPEOUT" as the trump card, followed by everyone else putting "x2" afterwards.

.....X2...

BiG Boar
07-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Sneaky snake is Tenacious billy. That is my guess.

Bow walker is definitley a rep for vortex. I mean vortex is okay, but its not that great. He's doing a good job of not advertising on here though.

Great thread overall though. I think someone should start another boot thread.

Tenacious Billy
07-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Sneaky snake is Tenacious billy. That is my guess.

Bow walker is definitley a rep for vortex. I mean vortex is okay, but its not that great. He's doing a good job of not advertising on here though.

Great thread overall though. I think someone should start another boot thread.

Nope. Wish I could take credit for such an entertaining post, but I can't. I do however know Sneaky Snake quite well. Cheers,

d6dan
07-14-2010, 06:08 PM
Gatehouse Is my Answer!!, These guys are playing with you..:-D. Sneeky Buggers.!!!:)
Roger, over and out!!!

dutchie
07-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Always wondered if Devilbear got paid for promoting the above as well as bow walker for vortex.

I am pretty sure Bow Walker is a Vortex Rep... So I think he gets paid better then DevilBear...

With all DB's experience he sure does not know how to use a camera and post pics!!!

Dutchie

bighornbob
07-21-2010, 11:55 PM
Sounds like The Swede has been reincarnated:mrgreen:

BHB