PDA

View Full Version : Sukunka and the Pine river

22 Northriver 496
07-10-2010, 10:03 AM
Anyone know if I could run these two rivers with a 22 foot Northriver and a teflon bottom? I would like to get up there for some elk hunting this year..Never been so I would like to get some info on those two rivers....
Ron

sako_300
07-10-2010, 11:02 AM
It's a really dry year so difficult to predict. If we get some rain in early Sept then it might be possible; if not, I wouldn't try it. Typically the only boats running those two rivers in early sept are the 16's lynx and the like.

You should be able to run downstream from the confluence or another option is putting in at east pine and running down/up the pine from there. You can also access the Murray river but be careful - it gets really bonny in the fall...

For reference I run a 20' Outlaw clearwater.

Is it 1/4" under the teflon?

Deadshot
07-10-2010, 11:06 AM
Beware the Sukunka!
Pine is runnable.

22 Northriver 496
07-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Ya, it is 1/4 inch under the teflon with added supports , keel cab etc...

22 Northriver 496
07-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Is the pine good elk hunting? any recomendations with the size of boat i run?

mark
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Is the pine good elk hunting? any recomendations with the size of boat i run?

I think you coud run anysize boat up the pine, its a pretty big river!

Ive hunted elk in that area for many years, the hunting is pretty good but not easy by any means!

Its funny, I hunt from above with trucks, quads, and boots, we try to hike down to the pine, and run into guys with boats, hiking up?? :confused:

22 Northriver 496
07-10-2010, 02:53 PM
That sounds good, what type of country is it? Dense forest or wide open country. How do you hunt that area, do you run the river then hike up the mountains or is it flat......If you have any pictures of the area, it would be really cool if you could e mail me them at rk@exellpower.com

Cheers,
Ron

moosinaround
07-10-2010, 07:04 PM
That sounds good, what type of country is it? Dense forest or wide open country. How do you hunt that area, do you run the river then hike up the mountains or is it flat......If you have any pictures of the area, it would be really cool if you could e mail me them at rk@exellpower.com

Cheers,
Ron
Ron head up and find out for yourself. It will be worth the trip, but be careful you don't tresspass on private land. It is a gong show up there, but with the kootneys opening up maybe it won't be so bad! Never let fear and common sense stop you!! Moosin

northof49
07-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Anyone know if I could run these two rivers with a 22 foot Northriver and a teflon bottom? I would like to get up there for some elk hunting this year..Never been so I would like to get some info on those two rivers....
Ron
x2 for No to Sukunka. Not worth the grief you'll have. East Pine downstream usually pretty good water or Murray R. upstream from town of Tumbler Rdg. In general I think you would have more success staying away from the jetboat thing though. Take a quad/chainsaw for extraction and hunt the benches and flats on top (mixed woods with grasses/shade). Key is pick some likely areas and cover ground on foot at first light. Lots of bugling and look for fresh sign. If no sign move to new area and try again. Get off the beaten path they don't like traffic. Don't pound same spot over and over. I seldom hunt same spot 2 days in a row to avoid pushing them out. If you spook one and it dosen't pan out try a new spot next day and come back and get him on the third if you have the time. Will be a great trip, hope you get one and if not you'll be that much further ahead next year. The Peace is g-bear country so keep an eye out during butchering. Good luck

whitetailsheds
07-11-2010, 08:18 AM
The Peace is g-bear country so keep an eye out during butchering. Good luck

And calling.....just a heads up......

elkdom
07-11-2010, 09:41 PM
about 50 pick-ups and boat trailers parked at the launch near Hwy29 and the Murray River today,, there was more boat traffic on the river,:? than auto traffic on Hwy 29,,:mrgreen:

sako_300
07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
that launch is always packed - wait until hunting season...

BCRiverBoater
07-12-2010, 05:56 PM
The Pine is always runnable in any boat if you are half experienced. Low in the fall just means low for that river. I am not as familiar with the Sukunka. The lower end of the Murray can be rocky but it gets hunted so obviously doable.

As far as hunting on the Pine. Well people do get elk for sure but it is very, very crowded. Especially since the 3 point and cow season opened. Gets hit hard from quads, the trucks on the farms and the boats. May be less traffic if some of the province heads to the Kootney's to pound there new season. And yes there is a lot of private land as well so it removes some of the huntable area for sure.

If you own a riverboat there is definitely better spots to hunt. Also there is other successful ways to hunt around the Pine like already mentioned. The boats most likely push the game off the river right to the other hunters coming the other way.

lunatic
07-14-2010, 09:53 PM
that launch is always packed - wait until hunting season...

Well since I haven't posted anything since about November I might as well try to start an argument:mrgreen:. That boat launch has not been busy at all this year. We have had only a couple of nice weekends this year. On the nice weekends we get the "tourists" coming from Dawson, G.P., etc. but on most days it only has a truck or two. 95% go upriver to see the falls. Go downriver in the fall and you usually don't have too much company. The river is good even in the fall as long as you don't go past the Gwillim River entrance. I will agree with some here though that it is easier and usually more successful to just quad in somewhere and hunt on foot.

leadpillproductions
07-14-2010, 11:02 PM
no elk here go some where else lol