PDA

View Full Version : Mountainhouse breakfasts?

BlacktailStalker
07-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Any good ?
I always eat oatmeal, curious if the scrambled eggs are worth packing (and if there is much in them or is it two bites and they're gone?)

bigwhiteys
07-09-2010, 09:54 AM
hahaha.... Two bites and you'll just be getting started on the eggs and bacon... They are alright I guess, not my #1 choice. Sort of like BC ferry eggs but a little grittier.

I like the Granola w/blueberries and then add extra freeze dried blue berries and strawberries.

Carl

ThinAir
07-09-2010, 10:06 AM
I like the Granola better myself. The bacon and eggs aren't bad though...

I used to eat oatmeal as well, but I'm not much of a breakfast guy. I hate waking up and gooning something that makes me want to gag.

I like the granola because I can get up, hunt for a bit, and while I'm glassing etc I just add a little water and eat breaky when I want to.

07-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Probably one of the worst things I have ever eaten.

ryanb
07-09-2010, 10:41 AM
not to mention the intestinal problems you'll be dealing with all day

bigwhiteys
07-09-2010, 10:42 AM
I like the granola because I can get up, hunt for a bit, and while I'm glassing etc I just add a little water and eat breaky when I want to.

Thats what we do too... Get outta bed, get to a good glassing vantage and cook breaky with the jetboil.. Those Granola w/blueberries are great warmed up.

Carl

digger dogger
07-09-2010, 11:27 AM
Andy, try "Uncle Ben's Bistro rice"! (has to say BISTRO) They only take a sniffter of water, and they taste better than gagging down freeze dried foods. I still gag down a few dried meals, but the rice is a nice change. Try a few before you ventue out!(not breafast but a decent meal)
The dried eggs are o.k, but they are small..
dave

bigwhiteys
07-09-2010, 11:36 AM
Andy, try "Uncle Ben's Bistro rice"! (has to say BISTRO) They only take a sniffter of water, and they taste better than gagging down freeze dried foods. I still gag down a few dried meals, but the rice is a nice change. Try a few before you ventue out!(not breafast but a decent meal)
The dried eggs are o.k, but they are small..
dave

It's no so much the taste as it is nutritional value when you're in the mountains... Besides there are some tasty rice mountain houses, like the Rice Pilaf and Chicken Teriyaki w/Rice. :)

Carl

stoneguide
07-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Not to hijack the thread but going on my next days off to pick up my meals for a 14 day backpack hunt and was wondering what everyones favorite meals are(mountainhouse and anything else you take for breakfast,lunch and supper and drink)?

Thanks for any info and thoughts.
SG

Blair
07-09-2010, 11:47 AM

.270 - you're a braver man than me if you can eat that shzt. My advice is stick with the oatmeal.

BlacktailStalker
07-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Sounds like I'll stick to my regulars... thanks

Devilbear
07-09-2010, 12:00 PM
I have eaten Granola Bars, Earl Grey Tea and sometimes a little dried fruit for breaky in the mountains since shortly after the last Ice Age. I find this enjoyable and nutritious and even ate this on longterm fire lookouts when the "hazard" was high-extreme and we had "fire flaps". Simple, easy to pack and keeps a guy going.

For lunch, I like a Clif Bar, small amount of mixed nuts, couple of small Cheddar pieces as found pre-packed and "Landjaeger" or good jerky, with tea, of course.

Supper, I like jazzed up freezedried and prefer "Natural Harvest", (IIRC) made in Ontario to any of the other several brands of FD'ed grub I have tried....you should have eaten the first stuff sold here in BC in spring, '69......ghastly muck, just awful!

I like to snack on nuts and dried fruit during the day and also take pre-mixed Ovaltine-powdered milk and hot chocolate packs.

If, I can handle the extra weight, I love chedder, dill pickles, smoked oysters and sardines and Halvah candy on winter treks....weird, but, especially with dried bananas and dates, this will keep you fed and happy on the toughest trips. I repack everything and carry out the packaging I use as I do not leave fire scars in the pristine high country.

I never take alcohol in the bush and will not hunt with anyone who does....hard experience taught me this many years ago.

07-09-2010, 12:01 PM
.270 - you're a braver man than me if you can eat that shzt. My advice is stick with the oatmeal.

Or Stupid! The smell that comes out of you after eating that stuff if a good bear deterrent. I stick with granola and oatmeal for breakfast now. You can always add protein with peanut butter, jerky or nuts.

Most of the vegetarian ones are okay but I find them very high in salt content. I know you need extra salt with the high physical activity but they go overboard. You really feel it at night when you get the thirst.

If you have a food dehydrator you can make some of your own meals.

BCbillies
07-09-2010, 12:08 PM

I keep it simple and stick with trail mix/granola bar and dried fruit for a morning snack. Not so fond of the MH breakfasts . . . heating water for breakfast means extra fuel and for a two week backpack hunt it all adds up! MH only for the main meal.

ThinAir
07-09-2010, 12:14 PM
The MH granola needs no hot water...

BlacktailStalker...buy a pack and try it out. I'm sure you'll do away with heating up water first thing in the morning just to eat oatmeal.

digger dogger
07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
It's no so much the taste as it is nutritional value when you're in the mountains... Besides there are some tasty rice mountain houses, like the Rice Pilaf and Chicken Teriyaki w/Rice. :)

Carl

Sorry carl, i forgot to say i pack dried wine sausage, and or jerky, and sardines/kipper snacks. :-) Dave

BlacktailStalker
07-09-2010, 12:48 PM
The MH granola needs no hot water...

BlacktailStalker...buy a pack and try it out. I'm sure you'll do away with heating up water first thing in the morning just to eat oatmeal.

Will do, thanks.

Shade Tree
07-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I always just choke back the oatmeal, but the dinners I can't wait for; mind you the chilli, although tasty,causes problems for me during the night if you know what I mean...

ytlogger
07-09-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm not a big fan of freeze-dried stuff but there are some things that are OK. MH omelettes aren't bad. I've had some with shrimp and chicken that weren't too bad. I find they take more water and 'cooking' time than instructed, to be any good. I dry a lot of moose, caribou or sheep from last year and have some of that with dried apricots and nuts throughout the day with lots of water. If I'm cooking in the morning, I'll have instant oatmeal, dry meat and fruit and a hot drink. I avoid a lot of coffee if packin' but the Folgers bags are OK or instant. Hot chocolate or tea for a change. I don't get bored with dry meat and fruit but some folks do. Sometimes we take a few bagles with p-nut butter and jam for a day or two. Somethine else I take is iced tea powder. I mix it weak in water bottles sometimes and make it hot as well. It is kind of my favourite hot drink in evenings. Couscous is a great, quick cooking pasta that is as good with some sugar for breakfast as it is at supper. I add it to dried soup mixes to make a meal. Freeze dried is convenient but not great for me.

Ron.C
07-09-2010, 03:08 PM
I still have 12 Backpacker's Pantry dehydrated omletes from my goat trip a couple years back. I understand nutrition and energy intake is important, but these things Blow :?
They are easy to prepair. I just added water, throuh them in a ziploc, and boiled. But just too dry/grainy for my taste.

After that, I'll stick to oatmeal/energy bars

If anyone is in the Duncan Area and wants them, PM me and they are yours!!

Amphibious
07-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Mountain House Chili-Mac. I love them.

granola and a little powdered milk is my favorite backpacking breaky. just add water and mix.

boxhitch
07-09-2010, 04:37 PM
MH scrambled eggs with ham and peppers ,
better flavor than eggs with bacon
Anything with added soy protein is going to generate bag warmers.

No need to buy the overpriced MH granola except for the packaging.

Ambush
07-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I eat a MH every night on pack trips. They're tasty, filling and very easy to make. But the breakfasts are rather poor. Besides, I like oatmeal. Eat a fruit bar on the way out of camp and make oatmeal later in the morning when you're glassing.

SHACK
07-09-2010, 07:44 PM
I dont mind a day or two of them, if you pack up a couple of tortilla shells and a couple salsa packs from McD's for flavour. There is no way I would eat them every day for a whole trip, that would just make me gag. Granola, and oatmeal are the Go to foods for breakfast.

SHAKER
07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Love the punishment we put ourselves threw for high country hunt'n. I'm not a breakfast person but snacks of Jerky, nuts and a little something sweet like a worthers candy or two makes the day great for when you get back to make a Mnt. House pasta premavera...... somehow it tastes good once you get past the odd cruchy part. But small price to pay for a dinner that I've had worse at a resturant.

deer nut
07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
They're great - if you like to eat plastic vomit!

Rubicon500
07-09-2010, 10:46 PM
The scrambled eggs hamm and bacon is disgusting. We make our own granola mix. Cheap knock off of the MH Blueberrys n Granola.

Use Granola, Dehryated Blue berrys and some French Vanilla Coffee mate, powderd milk. All you got to do is add water n stir it up a bit. Fair bit more Calories per gram than the Mountain house, taste just as good and it 10 times cheaper.

bigwhiteys
07-09-2010, 11:05 PM
Use Granola, Dehryated Blue berrys and some French Vanilla Coffee mate, powderd milk. All you got to do is add water n stir it up a bit. Fair bit more Calories per gram than the Mountain house, taste just as good and it 10 times cheaper.

Good Idea... I might try that... maybe we'll just squirt the Carolanns right into the Granola instead of having it with our morning coffee. Gets ya up and at 'em on a cool morning.

Carl

Hotshoe
07-10-2010, 06:44 AM
I never mind a MH breakfast at all. When I am in the middle of nowhere for weeks I'll eat anything, it's all about calories, protein and nutrition for me. When it's time to hunt it's time to hunt. You can worry about taste when you get back to civilization.

Pioneerman
07-10-2010, 07:40 AM
I have been using Isagenix shake packs for a few years. It is everything you need full of nutrition and gives me lots of energy , you just add to water and drink, no cooking needed, and yes it is filling

bigwhiteys
07-10-2010, 07:46 AM
I have been using Isagenix shake packs for a few years. It is everything you need full of nutrition and gives me lots of energy , you just add to water and drink, no cooking needed, and yes it is
Isagenix makes some really great products... In fact there are a lot of really good nutritional products put out by MLM companies that would be suitable for backpackers... This is stuff you will never find in a store.

Carl

ytlogger
07-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Whatever you are going to use, treat it like any other piece of gear and try it out at home. I have seen people show up with food they thought they would like.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Whatever you are going to use, treat it like any other piece of gear and try it out at home. I have seen people show up with food they thought they would like

SOUND ADVICE!!!!!

BlacktailStalker
07-10-2010, 08:54 AM
I regularly drink BSN Pure mass protein shakes and have mixed it with my oatmeal in the past, I dont care for it that way.
The best breakfast I ever had on a sheep hill was my first time up there with mwj, oatmeal with a full handfull of those tiny low bush blueberries. It took about 15 mins to get enough but was such a nice treat.

bigwhiteys
07-10-2010, 08:58 AM
The best breakfast I ever had on a sheep hill was my first time up there with mwj, oatmeal with a full handfull of those tiny low bush blueberries. It took about 15 mins to get enough but was such a nice treat.
Yep, the little blue berries are tasty, I like the wild strawberries too, but sheep season is usually too late, you can catch some stragglers though.

Carl

plumbcrazy
07-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Those are definatly THE WORST item i've ever back packed in!!!!!! Be warned!!

Coming_out_heavy.
08-14-2010, 03:46 PM
Garbage. Gross.

Find a good cereal you like. I use a Kashi granola cereal with mixed dried berries in it, its pretty much a party in your face. I put 2 servings in a sandwich baggy. Then add 25g powdered milk powder, or whatever 1 serving is from the directions. Then toss in 1 splenda sweetener. Its light, and its the best breakfast I have ever eaten in the mountains. It takes 1 cup of water to start the party in your face.

Try this out at home first, you will not be dissapointed. Mountain house wishes they could make something this good.

behemoth
08-14-2010, 07:06 PM
I find that the MH meals dont have enough veggies in them.
Its like "rice or pasta with teriyaki or curry sauce".
For this years goat trip I'm gonna dehydrate some veggies to shore them up a bit
Does anyone know of any brand that seems to be heavier on the veggies??

Also, does anyone know of any stores that carry a supply of dried veggies??

deer nut
08-14-2010, 07:26 PM
I second that! And so will your flatulence!

Tarp Man
08-14-2010, 08:05 PM
I was actually just talking with a guy over on CGN about this very thing and he uses a protein shake called Myoplex. You mix it with water, it has loads of protein and carbs, tastes good (he says) and is light. Costco apparently carries it. Pricey though.

sako_300
08-14-2010, 10:39 PM
I was actually just talking with a guy over on CGN about this very thing and he uses a protein shake called Myoplex. You mix it with water, it has loads of protein and carbs, tastes good (he says) and is light. Costco apparently carries it. Pricey though.

Didn't know they sold this stuff at Costco.

I bought some on discount at GNC this year (close to expiry) and packed it for my sheep hunt. Individual packages making it easy to carry. Each package contains 53g protein, 29g carbs, 23 vitamins and minerals and 12g glutamine. Weighs 96g but makes up for it wall all the inclusions.

I would definitely recommend to people looking for a good mid morning on the go meal. Beats the gels and protein bars.

EAS is the company name.

BlacktailStalker
08-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Protein powder is not a meal replacement.
It is an enhancing additive and body building supplement to aid in gains, but is not a supplement to food.

Coming_out_heavy.
08-16-2010, 08:45 AM
Didn't know they sold this stuff at Costco.

I bought some on discount at GNC this year (close to expiry) and packed it for my sheep hunt. Individual packages making it easy to carry. Each package contains 53g protein, 29g carbs, 23 vitamins and minerals and 12g glutamine. Weighs 96g but makes up for it wall all the inclusions.

I would definitely recommend to people looking for a good mid morning on the go meal. Beats the gels and protein bars.

EAS is the company name.

Myoplex sucks. Takes alot of water to mix. You need a blender, otherwise you get gross chunks of goo, you can't mix it very well in your cup with a fork/spoon. Its a battle to clean out of your cup without hot water. I took this on one trip, it was better as an "idea". There are better whole foods to bring.

Tarp Man
08-16-2010, 12:20 PM
My understanding of this meal "additive" was mixing in a nalgene bottle. Water plus powder plus shaking vigorously equals another meal to add to the three already planned. Good to know about the "goo" problem though

BimmerBob
08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Also, does anyone know of any stores that carry a supply of dried veggies??

I have looked all over in the various bulk food section and finally found a dried vegetable mix at Thrifty Foods in South Surrey. I imagine they have it in all their stores. I think they sell it for $.99/100g.

I mix one heaping tablespoon of it into one of the Mr. Noodles packages (crushed up) and along with 4 cups of water and the chicken boulion packet it makes a nice soup for 2. I also finely chop some cooked meat (chicken, weiner, garlic sausage, etc.) that is left over from something previous, mabe 2 or 3 tablespoons full for a meat treat in the soup and it is great.

Buying the Mr. Noodles at Costco means this lunch costs in the neighbourhood of $.30 which is fine with me :mrgreen:!

Coming_out_heavy.
08-16-2010, 04:40 PM
My understanding of this meal "additive" was mixing in a nalgene bottle. Water plus powder plus shaking vigorously equals another meal to add to the three already planned. Good to know about the "goo" problem though

This works for juice crystals, but not myoplex. Imagine mixing drywall putty with gooey chunks in it, in your nalgene bottle.

behemoth
08-16-2010, 05:01 PM
I have looked all over in the various bulk food section and finally found a dried vegetable mix at Thrifty Foods in South Surrey. I imagine they have it in all their stores. I think they sell it for $.99/100g.

I mix one heaping tablespoon of it into one of the Mr. Noodles packages (crushed up) and along with 4 cups of water and the chicken boulion packet it makes a nice soup for 2. I also finely chop some cooked meat (chicken, weiner, garlic sausage, etc.) that is left over from something previous, mabe 2 or 3 tablespoons full for a meat treat in the soup and it is great.

Buying the Mr. Noodles at Costco means this lunch costs in the neighbourhood of $.30 which is fine with me :mrgreen:!

Great, thanks for the info! I'll try to find one of them this week

Squamch
08-18-2010, 08:57 AM
When mixing meal replacement drinks like nutrimeal from usana, toss an 'agitator' into your nalgene before shaking, most places you can get a mixing cup also sell little springs or coils of wire to put in it since most protein shakes clump horribly.