PDA

View Full Version : Bi Pods or Shooting Stix?

stoneguide
07-08-2010, 07:56 PM
A question for you mountain hunters. What do you prefer to carry while hunting the high country, Bi Pods or Shooting Stix?
SG

llloyd
07-08-2010, 08:06 PM
What about those trekking poles that double as shooting sticks?

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
07-08-2010, 08:17 PM
haven't used ether,but I'm interested in a small light weight bi-pod if they have them.

Poguebilt
07-08-2010, 08:23 PM
I got both and like my shootin stix better...

Wild Images
07-08-2010, 08:52 PM
never tried sticks but the bipod sure is nice when setting your rifle down to glass and a nice rest steady

whitetailsheds
07-08-2010, 09:13 PM
Neither. Although, last years ram was taken with the rifle on my Leupy tripod. Had the time. Great rest.

stoneguide
07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
I always pack my stoney point shooting stix in my pack when sheep hunting and guiding they are light and work pretty good. You do have to watch in softer ground for if you need to move them quick they will stick in and pull apart.
I bought a HB 25 ultra light 12-25" 3 piece bi pod and a HB 25C ultra light 13.5-27" 3 piece bi pod of AO for the wife and I but am just trying to decide what to carry on my goat hunt.
The stix will be a little lighter but not as quick and handy. Well thanks for the replys and hope to see some more.
SG

Maxx
07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Snipepod is by FAR the best bipod/shooting stick for mountain hunters, 6 ounces , and it attaches in seconds.

wolverine
07-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I have a monopod that I have used a number of times with success but I am going to buy the Primos tripod quick stick. It's a little on the heavy side but it seems to be real stable and adjusts as quick as lightening. The problem with the mono pod is that although it gives you a rest it's still not solid and you get a fair amount of movement with it. No problem for shots out to 100 yrs or so but when you start reaching out to around the 300 yd and beyond range it's not stable enough to be a real help.

boxhitch
07-09-2010, 04:22 PM
I prefer not to see gadgets used. Too many times they are not flexible or dynamic enough as the scene changes.
Most of the time a balsam limb, backpack, rolled jacket works, KISS
Besides I hate things along that are single-purpose.
So if I had walking sticks they could be used as sticks or bipod.
I have used a tri-pod for a shooting rest, before and after vid or pics

boxhitch
07-09-2010, 04:25 PM
The problem with the mono pod is that although it gives you a rest it's still not solid and you get a fair amount of movement For that time, grab the electrical tape that is always handy, right?, and a branch or stick for the second leg, and the third leg if needed. Or brace with the pack frame

Hunt'n Guide
07-10-2010, 06:57 AM
For my own uses I like a bipod. Like someone already said it is nice to be able to set the gun down on the bipod and have it stay upright and ready while you glass. While guideing I've got two different sets of shooting sticks for clients. One light little set from Stoney point and one of the tripod type that extends tall enough to use standing up. The tall tripod is handy in the buck brush when you can't get low.
That being said the best that I've seen was a light weight tripod from outdoorsman.com that has a pistol grip head that flips on it's side to use as a rest. The best of both worlds, tripod for the spotter and rest to shoot off.

cmfic1
07-11-2010, 05:58 AM
If I had to choose one it would be the shooting stix, lighter weight & I cant stand how a bipod throws the balance of my rifles off.

But in several hunts in the mountains I've never seen either used & every rested shot I've seen was over a pack.....same as i do.

BlacktailStalker
07-11-2010, 10:15 AM
A lot of guys buy gadgets for hunts and then bomb an opportunity because they weren't fluid (quick) enough with it or bouched their shot because they didnt practice with it in advance.
I've never seen a bipod position a rifle in a way your pack cant (and definitely not as high) so that would rule out a bidpod for me.

I'd rather carry more food than any of that stuff myself :)

pappy
07-11-2010, 10:56 AM
I bought the smallest harris bi-pod, and also find it makes my gun unbalanced. I use it to sight in with, and during day trips use it to hold my gun out of the dirt instead of leaning it against a tree or something else while eating lunch or cleaning game . I have only tried sheep hunting once and I won't bring it again as every ounce counts, for the next sheep trip I will be resting on my pack if a shot is available.

SHAKER
07-11-2010, 11:11 AM
Try'd sticks..... Hated them. Bipods I love but it's amazing how often you don't end up using it. I"ve had mine on almost every hunt except for my sheeps trips and I'd say use it less then 20% of the time for game. For that one time you might want it, to me it's worth packing.

Bowzone_Mikey
07-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Not that I shoot alot with my rifles ...considering the company here ... But I prefer to find some sort of natural rest ... a rock , a crook in the tree ... sitting on my arse and use my knees ... other than pack in camp trips ... my "hunting pack" is nothing more an over sized fanny that holds a couple knives, bone saw, wind checker power, rangefinder and tags ...with some nurisment stuff and gloves.