PDA

View Full Version : South East Kootenays

204rug.ftw
07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
I found a little lake up the caven creek watershed on google earth, the lake is called cherry lake, wondering if anyone knows if and what fish it has in it??? Thanks :)

Everett
07-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Cutthroats and Rainbows if my memory still works.

204rug.ftw
07-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Oh ok sweet, i dont much care what type of fish is in it, ( as long as its not bass ... :( ) just that there IS fish in it

budismyhorse
07-08-2010, 09:46 PM
rainbows.......plenty of em.....little guys though.

USED to be awesome....

be prepared to camp somewhere else....it can be a gong show

Poguebilt
07-08-2010, 09:52 PM
I heard it was a gong show too... never been to investigate though!

UncleJesse
07-08-2010, 09:59 PM
If memory serves me, I took my largest trout ever out of that lake. Was in a 29.95 Taymor 2-person dingy with my cousin and we were casting from the dingy and I hooked a lunker. Didn't think to measure it, but I did not let it get away. It was, as I recall, quite something to get into the 'boat'. (using that term loosely)

I think what surprises me the most out of that whole adventure was that we didn't hook the boat. Incredible.

edit: I should say that this was 22 years ago and haven't been back since.

brad ferris
07-08-2010, 11:01 PM
buds got it figured. rainbows to about 12 inches but lots of them. good icefishing lake.

204rug.ftw
07-08-2010, 11:04 PM
buds got it figured. rainbows to about 12 inches but lots of them. good icefishing lake.

all i wannu do is do some fly fishing when im not out hunting, and thats perfect size for the fryin pan :)

204rug.ftw
07-09-2010, 12:31 PM
If memory serves me, I took my largest trout ever out of that lake. Was in a 29.95 Taymor 2-person dingy with my cousin and we were casting from the dingy and I hooked a lunker. Didn't think to measure it, but I did not let it get away. It was, as I recall, quite something to get into the 'boat'. (using that term loosely)

I think what surprises me the most out of that whole adventure was that we didn't hook the boat. Incredible.

edit: I should say that this was 22 years ago and haven't been back since.

how big was it??

Everett
07-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Drove past it today and not a soul in sight no campers and nobody on the lake.

UncleJesse
07-11-2010, 07:38 PM
how big was it??

Wish I could say it was "huge" by anyone's standards but mine. I was always a bicycle stream fishin' teen so big to me at that time was anything over about 12 inches - I would hazard a guess he was 14-16 inches. I ain't much of a fisherman tho... haven't got the patience so I just keep that nice trophy in my mind. Just thankful to still be able to recall that memory so many years later.

elkmaster
07-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Some friends and I built the first camping spot at Cherry lake many years ago and have fished the lake for 45 years. I was camping up there for two weeks and came out last week, the fishing is ok, all in the 6 inch to 12 inch range on fly fishing catch and release. There are alot of Albertans fishing the lake now, the possession limit is 5.
last week there were three groups of retired men with there wives from Cranbrook, they were fishing with worm and willow leaves, (3 boats), they caught double there limit every time they went out, which was around 3 times a day, They were reported!