PDA

View Full Version : How much to hire horses ?

Jimbo
07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Well, last weekend's scouting trip pretty much proved it's going to be too tough to carry food, hunting gear, & camp gear so now I'm thinking about hiring an outfitter/packer/wrangler to get me to the top of the mountain.

Aside from the legalities of who can do this, how much does it cost (ballpark) for this kind of thing ? Two guys on riding horses, pack horses/mules, "horse guy", up the mountain and then pick us up at the end of the trip.

saddlemaker
07-08-2010, 07:00 PM
which mountain??

Moose Guide
07-08-2010, 09:01 PM
check out Blue Creeks add in the hunting regs

budismyhorse
07-08-2010, 09:49 PM
I was quoted a few years back...150 per horse per day...

drop camp and leave you a riding horse each for your trip then they come back and get ya and all your camp.

jml11
07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
check out Blue Creeks add in the hunting regs

Better yet go to his website:

http://www.bcoutfitter.com/index.php

Stan has excellent horses, here's what he quotes on the website:

Trail riding (non-hunting) $600.00 per person per week.
Trail riding (hunting) $1,500.00 per person per two week

Surrey Boy
07-08-2010, 10:35 PM
If it were economical, we'd still have draft horses instead of diesels. Get ready to go broke.

Jelvis
07-08-2010, 10:44 PM
Once in a lifetime adventure? Not bad if you think about it, if you got the money saved, why not go for it.
Jel .. Here horsey

Jimbo
07-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Not sure I have the horse savvy for multiple creek crossings and 4500' of elevation.

I am hoping this isn't in the category of " If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

How much weight can a pack horse carry? How many in a string for 2 guys for a week?

Surrey Boy
07-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Being as it's a rental, and the SPCA probably has regulations similar to WCB except the SPCA has teeth to enforce it, they'll probably tell you what you may or may not do with the horses. Though, you could "beat it like a rented mule" as the saying goes. What breed are they? I imagine a Percheron Quarter cross would make a good rental horse and still pack alot of weight.

elkdom
07-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Not sure I have the horse savvy for multiple creek crossings and 4500' of elevation.

I am hoping this isn't in the category of " If you have to ask, you can't afford it."

How much weight can a pack horse carry? How many in a string for 2 guys for a week?

probably not!,,,

it IS, you wont!

what time of season?, what you going after?, how far?, and what species to harvest??

there!, you answered ALL your own questions,:?

Surrey Boy
07-08-2010, 11:26 PM
You could look into parachuting in! It might be more fun to air-drop on the ridge like Otto Skorzeny and then only hike down. You have an excuse to take lessons here, buy a bunch of equipment, and tell your kids about.

sawmill
07-09-2010, 04:31 AM
You could look into parachuting in! It might be more fun to air-drop on the ridge like Otto Skorzeny and then only hike down. You have an excuse to take lessons here, buy a bunch of equipment, and tell your kids about.

I love it!HELO Drop:mrgreen:(at night)

Amphibious
07-09-2010, 04:37 AM
I love it!HELO Drop:mrgreen:(at night)

HALO? (High Altitude Low Opening)

boxhitch
07-09-2010, 06:08 AM
Not sure I have the horse savvy for multiple creek crossings and 4500' of elevation.The very reason to hire a transporter. THey do what it takes to get you where you want to go.

I am hoping this isn't in the category of " If you have to ask, you can't afford it."Only you know that. Guys spend a years savings for a plane drop hunt. Others don't have to save up.

How much weight can a pack horse carry? 1/5th of their body weight depending on terrain and duration. Most of the time the pack horse has a lighter load than the saddle horse.

How many in a string for 2 guys for a week?
depends on target species, terrain, distance, season, luxuries list.
Even just taking the lightest backpack gear, you need horsepower for the meat and trophies. In a short haul, multiple trips could cut down the number of beasts of burden.

boxhitch
07-09-2010, 06:10 AM
the SPCA probably has regulations similar to WCB except the SPCA has teeth to enforce it, they'll probably tell you what you may or may not do with the horses.Its a good thing SPCA has nothing to do with this.

BiG Boar
07-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Just did the pack horse lessons at blue creek. Rented horses at the end of september. Hopefully these horsies come in handy.

BlacktailStalker
07-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Well for a chance at a stomper ram I would just buck up and do it, good luck.

Jimbo
07-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Boxhitch, thanks for your reply. Straightforward answers to simple questions.

Not trying to be secretive here, just trying to improve the odds on my partners Ashnola sheep draw.

Was just hoping for a ballpark cost for a weeks hunt. Looks like it's in the $1,500 range.

MuleyMadness
07-09-2010, 07:53 PM
That looks pretty reasonable, once you have a look at the 'what's included' part, and it's for 2 weeks with the horses, if you want for 1500...does anyone know EXACTLY where they're located, and where they will bring the horses to, as the site seems to be a bit 'elusive' on that point

boxhitch
07-09-2010, 09:03 PM
He's probably quite mobile so location matters little. As to where and when, could never all be listed so best talk it out.

MuleyMadness
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM
The prefix that they have listed is for McBride, but I guess I will have to give them a ring to find out what areas they will bring the horses to. Just have to decide, Riverjet or something like this for 2011

GoatGuy
07-09-2010, 11:36 PM
Boxhitch, thanks for your reply. Straightforward answers to simple questions.

Not trying to be secretive here, just trying to improve the odds on my partners Ashnola sheep draw.

Was just hoping for a ballpark cost for a weeks hunt. Looks like it's in the $1,500 range.

The outfitters in there are good guys. Had buddies get packed in and ride their own horses. $150 per day per horse includes a wrangler.

Probably gonna head in there in a couple weeks. Will let you know what we see.